CL: Juventus - Real Madrid (10 Viewers)

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
Real-Juventus Buildup: Fan Vs Fan

05/05/2003. In anticipation of the epic Champions League semifinal matchups we here at SoccerAge thought it would be a kick to sit two rival fans together – in this case a Real and Juventus supporter – in order to hear what they have to say ahead of each titanic tussle.

In one corner we have Miguel Cruz, a financial consultant from Madrid and lifelong Real fan. In the other corner we have Antonio Adami, a die-hard Juventino, who is currently studying to become an architect in Rome.

We didn't think it possible but after hearing these two rabid fans go at it we are even more anxious for Tuesday's game…and we're sure you'll be too!

SA: So, first things first, Mr. Cruz, how do you explain Real's 5-1 loss at home to Mallorca on the weekend?

MC: One of those freak results. Everything they touched turned to gold! We could play another 100 games at the Bernabeu and not lose by that score. Just one of those days. Hats off to Mallorca, though. They took the chances that were presented to them and deserved the win. They must enjoy it while it lasts. There won't be a repeat. Let's not forget we thrashed them 5-1 at Son Moix in December.

SA: What do you think will the reaction be for Juventus?

MC: I don't think it will effect morale for this match. It is a different competition, and one that the club has had an affinity with for many years. It is 'our' competition.

SA: And you, Mr. Adami, what did you make of Juventus' scoreless draw away to Lazio on Saturday?

AA: Well, obviously it would have been nice to wrap up the title in order to go to Madrid on a real high but it was more important that we came out of that game with no injuries – which thankfully was the case. It was obvious to me that the ragazzi were running in third gear yet we still played Lazio pretty even in the final analysis. That is one of Juve's great strengths, we're always capable of playing at full throttle yet we know when to take the foot off the accelerator.

SA: If that is one of Juve's chief strengths what do you consider to be their main weakness?

AA: Well, to be honest I really don't think there's any chinks in the armour.

MC: Yeah right!

AA: I'm serious. It's hard to imagine a more well-balanced squad and we have ample cover for every position. The team chemistry is amazing and everyone of our players has an indomitable character, which is why we always seem to get the result when it matters.

SA: Care to counter, Mr. Cruz?

MC: I admit Juve are very solid but they are certainly not perfect. They're hardly the most imaginative of teams and their centre-backs are by no means the quickest. Ronaldo's going to have a field day!

AA: Ronaldo's nowhere near as quick as he used to be and I can promise you our backline is going to do a far better job on him than Manchester's naïve defense. And even if he does get a shot off we have the greatest goalkeeper in the world in Buffon to thwart him.

MC: Give me a break! Casillas is better than Buffon and Ronaldo IS as quick as he used to be. Maybe not over long distances but his first few steps are still as explosive. And when it comes to finishing there is no one more lethal. The World Cup proved that and his hattrick against Man U reinforced it.

AA: Please…I'm not saying Ronaldo's not a very good player but most of his goals in Asia came against sub-standard defenders and Buffon would have done better than Barthez on at least two occasions.

SA: It seems you're not overly impressed with Ronaldo, Mr Adami. But there must be someone in Real's star-studded cast that you're worried about.

AA: Raul. He's magic.

MC: We finally agree on something. Raul is magic.

AA: Yes, but he's not as magical as Del Piero!

MC: Del Piero's overrated.

AA: You're crazy! How can you say that?!

MC: He tries to be much too cute on the ball and loses it half the time. Sure, he's capable of scoring some beauties but Raul's goals are just as stylish and he always does something positive when he's in possession.

SA: So, Del Piero honestly doesn't worry you, Mr Cruz?

MC: Not really. But to tell you the truth there is one player that they have that I do fear and that's Pavel Nedved. He's a marvelous playmaker. He has terrific technique, and our defenders will need to be careful when he is in and around the box. He needs no excuse to go down!

AA: Yes, Nedved's already a legend at the Delle Alpi. He's like three players in one. He's one of the only truly two-footed players in the world and he can pass, shoot, dribble, tackle, head. You name it! There's not one element of the game that he doesn't get an A in. An absolute dream player for any coach and in my opinion the only player we can't do without.

SA: Well, you will have to do without Edgar Davids, who is, of course, suspended for Tuesday. How big of a blow is his absence?

AA: Pretty significant as he is probably the best ball-winner in the world and would have been very useful against Real's midfield. Thankfully, we have more than enough talent in his position so his sending-off at the Nou Camp wasn't as costly as some may people make it out to be.

SA: Who is the one player you can't do without, Mr Cruz?

MC: I think if there had to be one it would be the great man Zidane. He is such a valuable link between midfield and attack. He's the world's best player without a doubt. He is so comfortable on the ball, scores his fair share of goals, and makes so many for those around him.

SA: Mr Adami, you've had the opportunity to follow both Nedved and Zidane closely as they both have called the Delle Alpi home. Who do you think is the better player?

AA: On his day there is no one in the world better than Zizou but as he showed during his time in Italy he has more than his fair share of off-days. Nedved is far more consistent. He's like a machine. Even in the rare occasions when his touch isn't at its best Nedved will still contribute with his tenacious tackling and unbelievable workrate, while Zidane was sometimes a liability. For those reasons, I can honestly say that I'd rather have Nedved in my team than Zidane.

SA: Finally, What do you gentlemen predict for Tuesday's game?

MC: My prediction is that we'll beat em 3-1! You'll see the Real Madrid in this game. We remain the very best team in the world, and we're gonna show it!
AA: 1-1 which will be considered a job well done. The real damage will be done in Turin.

SA: Thank you very much gentlemen and good look to both your teams. We look forward to more of your thoughts when we talk again ahead of the second-leg.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I hope no one is disillusioned by Real's loss over the weekend, they will be ready for us, GUARANTEED !!!!!

Our only chance of winning this game, and the following game in Turin is to ATTACK !!! Real's weakness is their defense. If we sit back, we will be eaten alive !!!

Unfortunately, attacking soccer is not in Lippi's book............

Real 3 Juve 0 (sorry guys)

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
Saw this bit on our Starhub cable TV website:

After conquering Manchester United, Real Madrid take on Italian giants Juventus as Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo go head-to-head with Edgar Davids, David Trezeguet and Lilian Thuram. Will the Italian catenaccio of Juve beat Real's free flowing fantasy football? Tune in to find out!

:fero:

-S-

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
No Vinny, we have to defend and do it well. Manyoo attacked, look what happened to them. We can't beat Real at their own game, we have to do the opposite.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++
No Vinny, we have to defend and do it well. Manyoo attacked, look what happened to them. We can't beat Real at their own game, we have to do the opposite.
I can see your point, but look what happened to Real over the weekend !!

Our defense is also better than Man U' s

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Jejejje very nice interview, but i think that Mr. Cruz and Mr. Abasi, both were overrating their teams and despising the enemy teams. Jajaja and if the defence of madrid think like mr cruz about the inoffensive delpiero , hehe they will be in problems.

OK, this is my plan against The almighty madrid. About the formation, i dont know. Someone suggest a good one plis!.

About the tactics: Well, lets be realistic, we dont have the ability to create awesome plays like madrid, and in the abscent of davidz, tach, and montero, we are now in a delicate situation. If we sit back and try to stop madrid to score in the whole game, they will cut juve in pieces. But they have a very shaky defence, that can be beaten easily by our main attackers. We must try to find the way of playin a defensive formation, but that change quickly in a counter attack. There must be a player "trying" all the game to stop zidane, that is the main thread, and try to survive against ronaldo and company.
The long shoots must be near the square and very accurated, cuz casillas is good jumpimg. And try to attack from the center, where hierro is, because he is facing a very bad shapè.

Crosses are an option, cuz casillas is not so good when the times come to look for a cross. Of course deliero and trez must be in good shape. If not, we simply dont have opportunities.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Hold on guys .. coz it just can't get any bigger than Real Madrid. I hope we put in a performance worthy of our reputation and status across Europe and the World. I don't fear Real or Zizou .. and I think we are capable of scoring and getting a win in their own home turf. We have been solid all season by putting a brave face and have showed the battling 'never-say-die' attittude that I'm so proud of :touched:

Maybe Davids and Tacchi's absences are just blesses in disguise .. Tudor may play and we all know he is strong at headers and might actually score from one of them corners or free kicks. As for Davids, I think Zambro will fill in to give us a more attacking dimension on the left, and with Camoranesi on the right, we should be more agressive and offensive at the same time .. every goal we score in the Bernabeu will be very precious .. Pessoto should limit Figo's advancements thru our left guard .. Tudor should also contain Zidane and cut-off his supply to Real's attackers ...

Big matches are played for big players. And Im expecting Nedved and Del Piero to play their best games and excel in this match. Trezeguet have been off-color lately but now is the best time to finally show up ..

I have high hopes on Gigi to break all of Real's attempts on goal, aided by Ferrara and Iuliano, and occasionaly Thuram ..

Good Luck Juve :angel: !!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Really crap interview that was :D Kinda glad they didn't pick Tom though :p

===

Zidane: Juventus are eternal
Posted by Alex | Football Italia

Zinedine Zidane has warned his Real Madrid teammates that Juventus will be a formidable opponent on Tuesday night.

“We will come face to face with a great side,” said the Frenchman. “The Zidane’s and the Michel Platini’s of this world come and go, but Juventus are always successful because it is the collective that counts.”

Real were flying high, but Saturday’s shock 5-1 home defeat to Real Mallorca has put even their Liga title in doubt.

On the other hand, the Bianconeri maintain their eight point lead over Inter with just three games to go and are brimming with confidence.

“I couldn’t sleep last night after our worst second half performance of the season,” he noted. “But we cannot let this affect us psychologically.”

“Juve defend very well and have three or four players who can turn a game around. We must step on to the field with the same confidence we always have.”

Juventus won the Scudetto the year after Zidane’s £48m move to Madrid, prompting Honorary President Gianni Agnelli to dub him “more attractive than useful.”

“Marcello Lippi’s style of play has not really changed that much from when I was in Turin,” continued Zizou, “except with perhaps more effective wingers.”

Raul was sorely missed and will not be able to face Juventus on Tuesday after emergency surgery for appendicitis.

But it is the defence that has been Real’s weak point this season. Roberto Carlos scored an own goal in that Mallorca defeat and Fernando Hierro looked particularly slow.

“You cannot put all the blame on Hierro,” insisted Coach Vicente Del Bosque, “although at times I certainly can’t say I’m satisfied with the state of our defence.”

Ex-Inter star Roberto Carlos tried to retain his enthusiasm after this humiliating setback.

“Everything changes very quickly in Madrid,” said the Brazilian. “We will have a great performance against Juventus and within three or four days this terrible match will have been forgotten.”

:cool:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yeah, in that game hierro was superb!!!, nobody could surpass him.

But look at his situation now, i hope to see the same hierro of last 3 matches

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by lacrease ] ++
wasnt it hierro who manhandled del piero the last time we met??
Come on Lac. Please be realistic :rolleyes: Hierro was five years younger and three times faster than he is now in 1998 :wallbang:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)