[CL] Juventus - Club Brugge (21 Viewers)

ThePLaya

Nov 8, 2005
Stuart said:
I forgot to mention but Mutu was very lively when he came on and linked well with DP with his first few touches. He deserves more playing time.

Cuz it was not Camo day !

when Camo Normal Mutu will sit all the time :)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
We were completely uninspiring...it was sad

It took us 80 FREAKIN' MINUTES to break down Brugge

Any other top CL team would have done it in 15-20 minutes...we have to be difficult, and do it in 80

The whole team seemed off balance, and were missing plenty of shots, and passes deep in Brugges end of the field

I actually thought our guys were on roller skates...thats how off balance they seemed..........

DP redeemed himself after missing a complete sitter...thank god for that

Chellini does not impress me..then again, no one but Nedved did today

We NEEDED goals today...we didnt get them

Fucking typical....

Apr 26, 2004
In search of qualification against Club Brugge

After the exciting challenge against Roma, Juventus are back into Champions League to meet Club Brugge on Tuesday night. Thanks to the precious win over Bayern München at the Delle Alpi, the Bianconeri are back on top of Group A and winning over the Belgian champions may mathematically qualify them for the last sixteen tie. In the first leg match, Juventus had an outstanding performance: on this season’s debut in Champions League, September 14th, they won 2-1 with goals by Nedved and Trezeguet but the final resul didn’t do justice to Italy’s champions who pushed the Belgians into their half of the field for the whole match, collecting an amazing number of scoring occasions. It was on the very playground of Jan Breydel Stadion that Trezeguet scored his hundredth goal in the Bianconeri jersey. The French striker, after two goals at the Olimpico, has reached 109 goals and the game on Tuesday may be another important stage of his race in achieving the umpteenth historical record: the one held by John Hansen, the best foreign goalscorer with the Juventus jersey with 124 goals.

The tickets for the challenge against Club Brugge will be on sale at authorized ticket offices until the start of the match; prices are extremely advantageous: just think that the Curva tickets cost 15 Euros.

Apr 26, 2004
Juventus-Brugge: the roster

3 Chiellini
4 Vieira
6 Kovac
7 Pessotto
8 Emerson
10 Del Piero
11 Nedved
12 Chimenti
14 Balzaretti
16 Camoranesi
17 Trezeguet
18 Mutu
19 Zambrotta
20 Blasi
21 Thuram
22 Bonnefoi
23 Giannichedda
25 Zalayeta
26 Gladstone
28 Cannavaro
32 Abbiati

Apr 26, 2004
Juventus vs Brugge 1-0
Juventus beat Brugge by 1-0 at the Delle Alpi and qualify for next Champions League round. After dominating the first half without a particularly oustanding performance, except for the post hit by Trezeguet, Capello’s side looks for the goal persistently in the second half and finds it on 35’ minutes with Del Piero, who thus equalled Boniperti’s record of 179 goals in the ranking of all-time Juventus goalscorers.

From the very beginning, Capello’s side builds up the game but Club Brugge are closed in defence and play in counter-attack when they can find some open space. Thus it’s not easy for the Bianconeri to approach to Butina’s goal. Nedved is the first to try, with a left-footed shot from the edge of area which ends high over the bar. On 14’ minutes, it’s Del Piero’s turn to attempt on goal, following Camoranesi’s free kick, with a header that ends out. On 29’ minutes, a fantastic action from the Bianconeri: a counter-attack launched by Zambrotta who serves Camoranesi, the latter passes to Nedved, a triangle pass between Trezeguet and Del Piero and the ball gets to Zambrotta, who’s unfortunately caught in offside. The best scoring occasion for Capello’s side arrives on 38’ minutes: Chiellini crosses to Trezeguet, who hits the post with a header, the ball bounces back and the goalkeeper can clear. Two initiatives on Brugge’s side worth mentioning: Spilar’s header, cleared by the Bianconeri defence (22’) and Leko’s left-footed shot that ends out (34’).

Juventus are far more aggressive in the second half, persistently looking for the goal from the very first minutes. After 3 minutes, Vieira’s fine shot ends narrowly out. One minute later, following Zambrotta’s pass, Del Piero tries a deflection but the ball ends out. The same happens to another shot from the Captain after a great pass with Vieira (7’). On 9’ minutes, after Camoranesi’s shot from the corner, Vieira’s finish misses the target and gets past the post. On 23’ minutes, the opponents get dangerous with Varheyen, whose header is deflected by Cannavaro over the bar. On 27’ minutes, Nedved attempts on goal with a fine right-footed shot from the edge of the box, deflected by a defender into the corner. On 33’ minutes, Del Piero controls the ball and gets into the penalty area, drives a left-footed shot but Butina saves. Two minutes later, there it comes the deserved advantage: Nedved crosses to the midfield for Del Piero who nods the ball in. It’s 35’ minutes and it’s the winning goal that guarantees the qualification. One minute before the end, Zalayeta gets near the second goal.

JUVENTUS vsBRUGGES 1-0
RETI: 35’sh Del Piero
JUVENTUS: Abbiati; Zambrotta, Thuram, Cannavaro, Chiellini; Camoranesi (36’sh Mutu), Emerson, Vieira, Nedved; Del Piero, Trezeguet (39’sh Zalayeta). Coach. Capello. Substitutes: Chimenti, Pessotto, Kovac, Blasi, Giannichedda, Mutu, Zalayeta.
BRUGGE: Butina; Maertens, Spilar, Clement (5’sh Englebert); Vanaudenaerde,Verheyen, Vermant, Leko, Gvozdenovic (39’sh Lange); Dufer (36’sh Serebrennikov), Portillo. Coach: Ceulemans. Substitutes: Stijnen; Balaban, Serebrennikov, Lange, Simoes De Oliveira, Roelandts.
REFEREE: Styles (ENG)
YELLOW CARDS: 14’fh Clement, 39’fh Zambrotta
ATTENDANCE: 9.623
PROCEEDS: 179.235,33

Apr 26, 2004
Capello: “A difficult win”

“It’s difficult to play against a team closed in defence in their half of the field, who rarely comes forward in attack and doesn’t take any risk. In the first half, we often made mistakes with the final ball in, then we created more scoring occasions in the second half”. Fabio Capello enjoys the qualification for Champions League last sixteen tie, achieved one match in advance. The next European challenge will be in Wien against Rapid Vienna and it won’t be a pure formality as it will decide who, between Juventus and Bayern, will top Group A: “I don’t know how important it will be to qualify as first-ranked. Last year we qualified and then when ended up with Liverpool, who turned up to be tough opponents. The fact is that, at this stage, all of the opponents are very strong sides”. The match against Brugge was not particularly spectacular but Capello praises all of his lads: “I’m very happy with their performance. Don’t forget that only three days ago these players played and won a difficult and intese match against Roma.”

rokkstar

Feb 2, 2005
Just saw the highlights.

Good goal by Dp to equal Boniperti's record. He fluffed a few chances though.

Well-earned victory on the basis of the 2nd half performance. What is quite worrying is the quality of finishing though. All the forwards should at least hit the target and challenge the keeper. We must sharpen our finishing by the nest round of CL matches.

Anyway , glad for the victory and qualification.

Forza Juve!

Chaplain

Nov 22, 2005
PPlive?

www.asiaplate.com

Also, Del Piero created chances, but I feel the team lacked the presense of Ibrahimovic to cause defenders to spread out more, as Brugges defended very well. Mutu should've come on earlier, possibly around the 60th minute, and should've replaced Trezeguet.

Emerson, Nedved and Zambrotta put in the best performances, imo.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
For the first ten minutes of this match we actually played rather well, stringing passes around the pitch quicker than usual and creating some pretty nice chances. However, after that we started to struggle and looked just as lackluster as usual…not creating any decent chances for the next 25 minutes of play. The chances for us came about as sparsely as the crowds at the Delle Alpi tonight. You could essentially dress both clubs in different gear and have a problem telling both teams apart…that’s not what you would like to hear when you’re playing BRUGGE at Stadio Delle Alpi.

The next best chance came from a Trezeguet header some 38 minutes into the match in which he struck the crossbar, but apart from this single chance we really looked uninspiring for most of the first half. Passing was particularly poor and again after starting at quick pace for Juventus we slowed down and just chugged along as usual. To be honest Brugge obviously came to Turin looking for a draw, however they still managed to control parts of the match and coped well with our advances.

But as usual we picked up our play in the second half and totally dominated the match from thereafter. Our passing improved throughout the duration of the match and almost every player seemed to have improved since the break at halftime. We still did not create a lot of chances, and when we did have some opportunities to score we squandered them or just missed wide. I do not recall Brugge having one shot the entire second half, as they basically just sat back absorbing our attacks rather nicely. After missing a couple good chances Del Piero finally put one away from a Nedved cross...and personally I believe we improved as the match went on.

But this seems to be status quo for Juventus...having a poor first half and then picking up our play in the second 45. In the matches we have lost this season we played very poorly in the first half and conceded goals before halftime. Then in the second half we tried to pick up our play only to be shut down by our respective opponents because it was just too little too late. This is a frightening trend for me becuse it coincides with my theory that if we always try to win with minimum input we will eventually fail when we need to pull through the most...and once we fall behind on the scoreboard we are not adept enough to pull a comeback against the better sides in Europe. Brugge came here to basically hold out for a draw it seems, however in actuality a team like Juventus should be playing them off the park and scoring more than just one rubbish goal.

Abbiati did not even have to make a decent save if I remember correctly.

Zambrotta was solid and was able to move up the pitch a bit more thn on the weekend.

Thuram was great except for one moment of madness when he gave the ball away with a very sloppy pass.

Cannavaro was very solid as well.

Chiellini I thought had a good game, big improvement since the weekend match against Roma. Still needs to improve his decision making and passing skills.

Camoranesi tried extremely hard to work an opening however was frustrated much of the match. Still played well though and provided us some decent passes when he drifted towards the center of the pitch.

Emerson had a quiet but decent match tonight.

Vieira was below average in the first half however picked up his play in the second.

Nedved could have had his best match thus far this season yesterday. He was very much involved with the match and his passes where finally clicking with his teammates. This is good to see.

Trezeguet really could not do much and did not receive any real service.

Del Piero missed bunch of chances however was involved with the match and saved our asses by scoring the only goal.

Mutu came on and looked very lively...what does this man have to do to get a start? If Capello was not so stubborn he would probably be starting up top by now...give him a start as a forward FFS.

Zalayeta had only a few touches.

And last but not least, our passes and creativity around the box is just etrocious for a Juventus team...I don't remember how many times we took shots while having a defender standing right in front of us. We just don't have enough ideas going forward and that's the obvious reason why we only create a couple good chances per game.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
My ratings:

Abbiati 5
Zambrotta 6
Thuram 6.5
Cannavaro 6.5
Chiellini 6
Camoranesi 6
Emerson 6
Vieira 6
Nedved 7
Trezeguet 5.5
Del Piero 6
Mutu 6

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
RochemBeck said:
And last but not least, our passes and creativity around the box is just etrocious for a Juventus team...I don't remember how many times we took shots while having a defender standing right in front of us. We just don't have enough ideas going forward and that's the obvious reason why we only create a couple good chances per game.
This is the most maddening thing I see as a Juve fan. In a game like this past weekend's Roma destruction, we saw creativity in attack because there was a lot of open space for our counterattacks. But when the tables are turned and we need to press for a goal, the gears seem to get gummed up in a hurry and no one seems to break the monotony.

I truly hope that the creative midfield position won't be our downfall this season. Perhaps the best we can hope for is that we try to manage our games so that it never comes to that. But I cannot see us avoiding that in any home and away elimination brace.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
swag said:
This is the most maddening thing I see as a Juve fan. In a game like this past weekend's Roma destruction, we saw creativity in attack because there was a lot of open space for our counterattacks. But when the tables are turned and we need to press for a goal, the gears seem to get gummed up in a hurry and no one seems to break the monotony.

I truly hope that the creative midfield position won't be our downfall this season. Perhaps the best we can hope for is that we try to manage our games so that it never comes to that. But I cannot see us avoiding that in any home and away elimination brace.
It is indeed a worrying aspect of our play. When we become flustered during matches in which we have trouble scoring, our side seemingly forces the ball up the middle and suffers from a lack of ideas. For some reason this is more noticable in Europe, however this is understandable because we face better teams...but Brugge? Makes me wonder what Capello works on during practices..

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Capello concerned by draw Tuesday 22 November, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabio Capello and his players warn topping the group won't necessarily mean a better draw and admit they were frustrated by Club Brugge.

“It’s very difficult to play against a side that only came here to defend,” said Capello after Juve’s 1-0 win. “If you don’t break the deadlock, they’ll happily sit back there and wait, not even trying to attack. We knew the Belgians would do that, but not to this degree. We had also created some good chances in the first half, making mistakes with the final ball in. We did better after the break and deserved the victory.”

Alessandro Del Piero scored the late goal, while the Bianconeri were without the suspended Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“Ibrahimovic’s physical presence is important to hold up the ball, but I am happy with the players tonight, especially just three days after an intense match against Roma.”

Both Juventus and Bayern Munich are through, but the final matches will decide who tops Group A for the second round draw.

“Last year we ended up with Liverpool, so the draw can be cruel whether you’re seeded or not. Italian football is amongst the best in the world and the fact Juve and Inter are already qualified and Udinese, I believe, will get there is important. Milan’s group is very balanced and their match in Turkey will be very difficult.”

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
It's nice to see qualification wrapped up nicely, the team may be starting to feel fatigue seeping in approaching the halfway point in the season and it'll be important if we can afford to rest a couple of starting players even if only for one matchday, against Rapid Vienna.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
RochemBeck said:
My ratings:

Abbiati 5
Zambrotta 6
Thuram 6.5
Cannavaro 6.5
Chiellini 6
Camoranesi 6
Emerson 6
Vieira 6
Nedved 7
Trezeguet 5.5
Del Piero 6
Mutu 6
Disagree with Chiellini's rating. Apart from his wonderfully struck cross to Trezeguet he was god awful to watch and lost the ball a countless number of times. I'd give him 5. I'd give Del Piero a 6.5 simply because he was the only Juve player that was actually dangerous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)