[CL] JUVENTUS 2-1 Borussia Dortmund (February 24th, 2015) (63 Viewers)

OP

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
  • Thread Starter #261
    I watched Dortmund's game against Stuttgart on Friday. They looked surprisingly ordinary and besides their goals they only created a couple of other chances all game. Their defence wasn't really tested but looked less than solid.

Stuttgart played with a deep defensive line and allowed Dortmund time on the ball. The few mistakes their defence made allowed Dortmund to create scoring opportunities and Dortmund's attacking play looked speculative at best. There didn't seem to be any real cohesion or structure to their gameplan. They did press up high but once they had the ball they didn't appear to have too many bright ideas with what to do with possession. Absolutely bizarre to see a team full of such stars struggle so much all of a sudden.

It made me feel more confident. If we play the same deep line to neutralise Dortmund's game while also looking to probe their defence while we have possession I get the impression we can find holes in there. I still think our best bet would be to bench Llorente and Pirlo for Morata and Marchisio at DM but if we're playing those two then the gameplan has to be using Pirlo to play long balls to Llorente and have him try and be a focal point for building our attacks.

We can win this, but it will depend who turns up on the night for both teams.

Anybody want to see Stuttgart - BVB it's under the spoiler box.

Best way to "probe" a defense is for Pirlo to play. But damn it he needs Vidal, Pogba & Marchisio to be masterclass in work output for it to work.

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
    Sep 21, 2008
    Llorente to kill the counter press by standing up top like a light tower and bringing down ball after ball behind Dortmund's press. :tuttosport:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
    This is what the Whoscored page is gonna look like after the Game. If i'm wrong and we actually win this i'll be even more happy.
    Names may differ though.

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
    Lol nice save there champ...

Little useful video (mute the music lol) for their approach/style thats allways identical wether they are playing well or as awful (or have different personnel, no Lewandoski to be the focal point) as they been past season since this clip was made, mainly interesting thing for us is how annoying their high pressurring game will be for our defenders/midfielders if we have poor first touches/nervous in transitions. Especially will be hounding down Pirlo who can be careless.

So, according to this, Bonucci will be extremely important as plan B to start our attack with the ball from the defense. Their pressing will only be a thing when they lose the ball on a high part of the pitch. But from the times we start our attack from scratch, and try to look for Pirlo, they'll shut him down, and try to force our way out via our CB, this is where Bonucci will gain importance, since he'll have the responsability to distribute the ball, Marchisio/Pogba could also drop down (specially when Chiellini is the one with the ball) but they'll have a hard time turning his back, it should be easier for Pogba tho.

With Morata and Tévez up-front we could try to exploit the space the times their pressing fails, they can't excel at it every single time, and when they fail, Morata's mobility and pace could be exploited with some of Pirlo/Bonucci's long passes.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    We scored 7 goals in 6 games in CL...

Too many are busy worrying about our defence in Europe, while I worry we are one of the few who scores the least who qualified through, think only Monaco scored less then us (4 goals).

But I'm pumped for this game, even took day off work for it :lol:
    But out of those 7, 5 came with the change in formation. Also, the last group stage match really wasn't much of one :p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)