[CL] Juventus 1-0 Maccabi Haifa, Oct. 21st 2009 (1 Viewer)

CL Grp A Match 3: Juventus - Maccabi Haifa - Man of the Match

• SuperFriggingGigi Buffon

• Zebina

• Cannavaro

• Chiellini

• Grosso

• Sissoko

• Melo

• Camoranesi

• Diego

• Giovinco

• Trezeguet

• Cáceres

• Poulsen

• Amauri

• Ferrara

• Captain Rabih Fawaz

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Dammit why can I not wake up at 5am?

Just judging from highlights I saw positives in regards to creating opportunities. Grosso definately adds somethings down the wings, a third ball in the box in two games from him which should have been put away.
Giovinco my boyyyy. Ever since the Chelsea match it was clear that he was made to terrorise in that position. He just teases defenders and when he does try to penetrate the defensive line he'll usually come away with a free kick in a dangerous area.
Diego was good. I saw him put some dangerous balls into the box and that's what he's there for. Had some of his assists been put into the back of the net I wonder if people would be singing a different tune right now.
Nothing in the Highlights for Camo. What did he do?

The general consensus is: this formation is a winner. Just need everyone to get used to it and back in their best form. Oh and Melo looks like a twisted ankle which means he will probably only miss one game. It didn't look at all serious to me.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I was disheartened, to say the least, when i awoke at 7am, switched on the laptop, and found that we were tied at 0-0 going into half time...However, by the time I had reached work, Chiellini had done the dirty over the plucky jewish middle eastern thugs. ALL official reports I have read made it unavoidably clear that they nailed us, physically, from the start to the finish of the game.

As for how we played, I have been through all the mini reports in this thread, as well as read a few from more accomplished journalistic sources.

No real surprises. As in Buffon has won us several games this season already. His form has been back to what we expect of him. Same goes for Giovinco, playing in that position, liberates him, and ALWAYS seems to cause any opposition considerable trauma.

Shame about Melo, as with Momo returning and gaining match sharpness by the minute, we are able to play a far more creative attacking quartet. Putting Diego and Giovinco together is surely now an obligation. 4-2-2-2 makes little sense, but it makes more sense, as does the 4-2-3-1, than using only one of those two flair merchants and stacking destroyers behind them.

I am sorry for Zebina. And the way things look, a new right back is ESSENTIAL when the transfer window re opens.

The sole demand from this game was to win. It seems like we could have lost, but also, that we could have won more handsomely in terms of goals.

All I can hope is that Melo isn't badly mauled...and that when we play them on their home patch, that Momo takes an eye or three...hohohoho!

Bravo to Ciro for trying something completely new for such an important game. it took courage...And I wonder how this system would perform if we had TIAGO alongside Diego and Giovinco, still behind Trez...Indeed, as some have mentioned, Amauri is more competent at holding up the ball, and then bringing others into play who fling themselves forward from midfield, BUT...his form is wretched.

Lets use the same formation again Siena, and see how we go. Thinking of how to bring DP back into the team, only when he returns to full fitness.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Del Piero in the 3, not tiago.

Good game today. We moved the ball so much better and created so many more chances today. The best part about it is how well our mids Melo/Momo wrecked everyone and how Gio/Diego/Camo worked like clockwork today. Great game, ugly at times but we still played great ball and controlled it. I am glad to see the long ball was pretty much nonexistent tonight...finally....3 seasons later.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
for all our brilliant play, we struggled to create many clear cut opportunities...that being said, Haifa were not allowing us to play at all, consistently fouling anytime Seba or Diego would get the ball...let's hope we're back to winning ways in the league as well now!

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
After watching the game on a crappy stream (at least I got to see it), here are my observations:

The Good:

1) We finally got back to winning ways.
2) I saw some good link up play between the 3 attack minded players supporting the lone striker.
3) Giovinco may have found his ideal position.
4) Diego is slowly getting back into form; he played well between the lines, and rarely misplaced a pass.
5) We kept pushing forward, maintained much better possession, and could've scored another 1 or 2 goals had we been more clinical, focused, and less careless.

The Bad:

1) We need to be alert at all times; and by that, I mean we cannot afford to switch off at the 83'rd minute, and risk throwing away all 3 points on a couple of occasions like we did yesterday.
2) Focus! Some players gave away easy balls, misplaced passes, and didn't try beyond the 80th minute. This cannot be allowed to continue.
3) Buffon can't always bail us out; even he himself admitted it. We need to protect him more.
4) We almost conceded early on; had we fallen behind this match may have had a very different outlook. Refer to point 2.
5) There is still room for improvement as pertains to the 4-2-3-1 system; the 3 attacking minded midfielders need to link up better with the lone striker, connect better with one another, and the lone striker needs to make himself available (so better movement from whoever is adopting that role).
6) We need better quality fullbacks to realize the true potential of this formation.
7) We must be more clinical. We could've thrown away all 3 points last nite; yet, we could've won it much earlier had there been more concentration and clinical finishing.

The Ugly:

1) The Physical brutality of the Jews. It seems they assumed this was a war, not a football match. Some of the tackles on our players were downright shameful.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #612
    it was a morale win...we got the 3 points...we did use a new formation...we did play on a rain that really caused us problem...we really dominated, and we really showed a caracter. The scoreboard lies jack and you know it :)
    I know we had a lot of chances and were dominant but that only proves my point, we lack efficiency. And making Buffon shine and bring us the three points proves my other point, we are sloppy.

I am not saying that I am not happy with the three points but I am pointing out that even though we improved from the previous matches we still didn't improve enough.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

I tried watching the match on streams but it was impossible. But judging from the highlights, this line-up definitely deserves another run. Trezeguet had a couple of chances which he should have converted but you can't blame his off-form when he doesn't have 2 games in a row in him. Giovinco was a a menace and we really need to try this again.

blondu

Grazie Ale
    Nov 9, 2006
    I know we had a lot of chances and were dominant but that only proves my point, we lack efficiency. And making Buffon shine and bring us the three points proves my other point, we are sloppy.

I am not saying that I am not happy with the three points but I am pointing out that even though we improved from the previous matches we still didn't improve enough.
    your right about efficiency but i can't understand what did u wanted from the game, we were in a terrible period (mini crisis)...you can't bounce with a 5-0 after such a period. Step by step and everything is gonna be good..

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    I'm fairly satisfied with our performance. With the "new" formation we look a lot less stale & predictable, without disrupting the balance too much in terms of defensive covering. We only gave away 3 chances which, considering our new approach, isn't too bad.

That being said, we are still rather vulnerable on the break. Something that needs to be addressed quickly. Efficiency also remains a problem, but I'm positive we'll improve in that aspect quite soon.

Buffon 7,5 - Heroic performance. Vital save in the first minute of the game and another one in the last. Other than that nothing spectacular but his presence was felt throughout.
    Zebina 6 - Despite a few troubles, still a promising start to the game. Unsurprisingly, he went off injured.
    Cannavaro 6,5 - Shaky at times, impressive at other moments. He did look very slow yesterday, but he's smart enough to make up for that.
    Chiellini 7,5 - Absolutely vital performance at the back & he scored our only goal. Can't ask for anything more.
    Grosso 6,5 - First really good game by him. Some nice crosses & attacking displays and his defensive work wasn't too bad either.
    Sissoko 6,5 - Our very own master of the bad pass. Still, took care of an amazing amount of work in middle of the park and he was a big reason why we were in control of the game. Looked exhausted near the end.
    Melo 7 - Very good game. He mostly took good advantage of the passing options that were there last night. Together with Momo, he made sure we were in control of the game.
    Camoranesi 7 - Probably his best game in a long while. Did his defensive duties & created havoc times in the Maccabi defence.
    Diego 6,5 - As expected, he looks a lot better when he has some real options next to him. Should learn to pass the ball a lot quicker though, since I felt he wasted a few oppurtunities.
    Giovinco 7,5 - Does this kid have a future after all? Amazing first half, pretty good 2nd. Shame that there's never any end product though. I also felt he was ignored by his teammates (most notably Diego) at times.
    Trezeguet 6 - Unlucky not to score. His runs were very intelligent and a joy to watch, but we didn't give him enough service imo.

Caceres 5,5 - Our weak link as far as I'm concerned. A liability, even though no disasters happened.
    Poulsen 6 - Good, did exactly what he's supposed to.

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
    Jun 18, 2006
    Giovinco 7,5 - Does this kid have a future after all? Amazing first half, pretty good 2nd. Shame that there's never any end product though. I also felt he was ignored by his teammates (most notably Diego) at times.
    I think the end product thing is more confidence than anything, for his frist propper 90mins. I don't think Diego meant to ignore him, but I'll hold my tongue, there's fanboys about.
    He was our best offensive player last night and I'm sure he'll do well in the Next game and against Samp if given the chance by Ciro. After last night he should be a starter, even If Ciro seems to have Giovinco shape speck of dirt on his glasses

lil zlatan

Mar 5, 2006
    Ratings from la stampa.

Buffon 7,5

Zebina 5
    Cannavaro 6
    Chiellini 6,5
    Grosso 6

Sissoko 5,5
    Felipe Melo 5,5
    Camoranesi 6
    Diego 6,5
    Giovinco 6

Trezeguet 5

Caceres 5
    Poulsen 6

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)