CL hangover : Lippi puzzles me (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I cannot for the life of me figure out why in the most important match for 5 years we played one of our worst games this year. I mean heeellooooo, it's Milan we're talking about, it's Ancelotti. Are they unbeatable? By no means, we already whipped them once this year. The lineup is weird, with Montero on the left, we play really really bad, it's amazing how they threatened us, us with our "excellent" defence. One goal cancelled, Buffon saving on Inzaghi and several other chances when Milan got really close. Meanwhile we answered that with nothing. Not one threatening attack from normal play (maybe except Trez' header right at the start). "All" our chances were weird incidents, the kind that when you score people say you were lucky. So we're playing the 3rd best club (barely, Lazio almost took their spot) in Italy, we know them really well, we've just won the league again, our team seems to be rather in form, meanwhile Sheva and Pippo haven't scored for a while and Milan has won once in their last 6 CL games. No, I just won't accept that it's all Nedved, we made the final dammit! If you mean to tell me that without the Czech this is all we got, I just don't believe it. No, Lippi screwed up again. Bad. And I can't figure out why this is happening. We played a horrible game. Milan weren't too impressive but they did okay. We just waited for the pens most of those 120 minutes. Yes, anti-football. In the CL with Lippi as our coach and only player missing from the lineup. Unbelievable.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jussi

May 19, 2003
That's just one hell of a mystery...Still I think Nedved was the main reason for this,our confidence was not as good as it would been needed to.I mean we played real passive from the start,from the start already! What's the idea of that? Milan so tough that we have to rely on counters? Don't think so.Just without Nedved we couldn't/wanted to attack so keenly.And then after a good start at second half we lost Davids,the man who literally kept midfield alive for us.Tudor's loss wasn't that bad.
Then Lippi realized this team cannot control the game,whatever the reason for that is,and ordered to wait penalties.Although I think players did think that too,they didn't have the will to start attacking strongly.Why? Cause of Nedved,sad but true?
Then came the penalties and that's it.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #3
    With Lippi, we've been the better team 3 times and we've lost 3 times. And in 96 we played better but we weren't so much the better team considering half of Ajax was on the injury list.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    martinn, u left out the best part. What a penalty shoutout. WTF did zalayeta take a kick. WTF did Montero take a kick? Trez im just plain dissapointed with, played a horror match. With those kinda kicks, i really have to be happy we reach all 5 penalties..

Square

Oct 6, 2002
    well i think those players offered to take penalties...

ive learnt a few things tonight:

1. tifosi can always rely on buffon, ferrara, thuram, davids, zambrotta and conte to play well. they never dissapoint.

2. it doesnt matter what lippi does. if zalayeta had scored in extra time everyone wold be calling it a tactical masterstroke.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by dj juve ] ++
    martinn, u left out the best part. What a penalty shoutout. WTF did zalayeta take a kick. WTF did Montero take a kick? Trez im just plain dissapointed with, played a horror match. With those kinda kicks, i really have to be happy we reach all 5 penalties..
    The penalties are beside the point, we should have won it in regular time. Besides, it was the players who stepped up, Lippi didn't pick them.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    Such things happen .. if you play football and participate in compeitions you would understand .. it doesn't come from inexperience .. and I can't really explain it .. it's like preparing a great party, you get nice food, great band, and expect everything to flow well .. only for it to collapse .. it happens in finals, everything goes wrong and the players just aren't themselves .. this reminds me of France-Brazil (3-0) in the World Cup final in 98 .. Brazil played their worst match and didn't threat France one bit, even though it was the WORLD CUP final ..

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    With Lippi, we've been the better team 3 times and we've lost 3 times. And in 96 we played better but we weren't so much the better team considering half of Ajax was on the injury list.
    we weren't the better team last night!
    Though I agree with you on the puzzling Lippi thing. He's hailed as a master tactician and on the whole he lives up to this billing, but it can't escape my attentoin that in vital games he sometimes 'loses the plot' so to speak or fields a very strange lineup.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Last night Lippi failed IMO, as we could have won the match.

I disagree with his starting tactics, and with his subs.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    we weren't the better team last night!
    That's the point, 3 times we've been favorites and 3 times we've lost. We always play bad on the day.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    That's the point, 3 times we've been favorites and 3 times we've lost. We always play bad on the day.
    oh, ok I thought you meant we played better on the night. Anyway I'm still a bit saddended by this I'm not really in the mood to post any kind of lengthy comment. Trez has received more than enough criticism from me over the past months and hopefully people might see why...

Square

Oct 6, 2002
    ARE YOU ALL CRAZY?

you do realise is zalayeta had scored or conte had scored with this header, you wouldnt be saying this? LIPII CANNOT MAKE HIS PLAYERS DO WHATEVER HE WANTS THEM TO DO, HE HAS TO HAVE FAITH.

some of you act like a manager is supposed to predict the future.

what was he supposed to do? tell zambrotta and tachinardi to take penalties when they didnt want to?

some of you really dissapoint me as juventus fans.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    We weren't our usual self IMO. There was no grinta, no determination and even if Lippi would put on someone else (it's not like he has that many options) I doubt it it would work. It just wasn't meant to be and I have to admit that I felt it throughout the day. There was just no excitment and no nervousness in me as I believe(d) that the game against Real was this year's peak for us.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Ohh for God's sake! He can tell them and motivate them before the game but when they step on the pitch it's up to them. He can't do anything more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)