CL: Deportivo - Juventus (2 Viewers)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
by the way here's the stats on depor and juve in the league:

P---- W-- D---L-- F --- A -- Pts -- GD

25-- 15-- 5-- 5-- 41--17---50 -- 24 (Depor)

22-- 15-- 4-- 3-- 44-- 25-- 49-- 19 (Juve)

cynical

Mar 7, 2003
++ [ originally posted by kaizer ] ++
by the way here's the stats on depor and juve in the league:

P---- W-- D---L-- F --- A -- Pts -- GD

25-- 15-- 5-- 5-- 41--17---50 -- 24 (Depor)

22-- 15-- 4-- 3-- 44-- 25-- 49-- 19 (Juve)
gosh,it's pretty tight. what about the last 3 matches for depor?! how are they doin'?

Sep 14, 2003
Depor have next to no chance of winning the competition, I would be extremely disappointed if we were knocked out by them, whatever our form.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
-

Deportivo - Juventus Preview (Part 1)
First knock-out Round
25 February 2004
20:45 (CET)Riazor - La Coruña

--------------------------------

Juve will be visting Deportivo's Raizor stadium for the umpteenth time on Wednesday in another Italian-Spanish European encounter. The Juve players must be familiar with the stadium's surroundings and locker rooms already as they continually face Deportivo during different stages of the competition.

Since 2000, Juve have won once, Deportivo once, and 4 matches ended in a draw. That's how close it could be whenever Juve meets Deportivo. Last season's first match in La Coruna ended in a 2-2 draw but Juve had the upper hand and won the return match 3-2 with a last gasp winner from Igor Tudor.

Deportivo have shown a contrasting display between playing at home and away. At home, the Spanish team was formidable, never conceded a goal, and won all three matches played during the group stages (2-0 vs PSV, 1-0 vs. Monaco, and 3-0 vs. AEK Athens). However, the floodgates were wide open on the team travels as the team was heavily exposed in the record breaking 3-8 defeat against Monaco, not to mention the 2-3 blow to PSV and the unconvincing 1-1 draw in Athens.

Juve however have been more balanced in the group stages as the team was able to win both at home and away from the Delle Alpi. Juve started the European adventure with a win against tough opponents Galatasaray 2-1 at home before winning away with the same scoreline against Olympiakos. After that Juve defeated Spain's Real Soceidad 4-2 and snatched a 0-0 away draw that secured qualification. And despite a loss in Turkey, Juve bounced back emphatically and the victims were Olympiakos who suffered a backlash of 7 goals scored by six different players without a reply.

Juve's defence have been criticized heavily this season for leaking many a goals this season as compared to the past seasons. Every move made by the Bianconeri defenders will be put under the microscope from now on. However, the defenders have improved recently, keeping a double clean sheet in the league ad also having enough time to score themselves and win matches (Iuliano against Bologna). A heavy guest to Spanish grounds in the form of Alessandro Birindelli will be missing though, much to the relief of the Galicians. However, other than Birindelli Lippi should have the compete squad to chose from. Juve's defence should be made up of the following players:

-- Thuram – Legrottaglie – Montero --- Zambrotta --

I can't see Camoranesi and Maresca both starting this match as Lippi is expected to play a defensive approach with a midfield line-up that includes both Tacchinardi and Appiah. Tacchinardi missed the Bologna win as he was suspended and didn't join the Azzurri for the International friendly against the Czechs. A well deserved rest one would say. Anyway, I think our midfield would look something like this:

--------------------- Tacchi --------------------

---- Appiah -------------------- Maresca ----

--------------------- Nedved ----------------

The key to the game now is to score away goals. That would be extremely crucial in progressing to the next stage, thus a lot of effort is expected from Alex Del Piero and David Trezeguet. The Treviso-born star thrives on outwitting defenders and is a major threat from free-kicks. The French hitman, however, is a deadly finisher and after resting a match with Juve and skipping the International friendly for France would be eager to resume duty and score goals again. Expected attack line:

------ Trezeguet ------- Del Piero --------

So, will Deportivo continue their winning tradition at the Raizor or will Lippi's boys prove too hot to handle? Admittedly, both teams are no where near their top form but a Champions League place in the quarterfinals is at stake here and as such both teams will be fighting until death tears them apart.

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Quote by IceBlu:
The positive sign for Juve is that the team didn't let in any goals in the last 2 games so thats something to build on.

Dude, we played Bologna and Reggina. Give me a break !!!!!

This is Deportivo, a much more offensive team than the mid-table sides we have beaten in the last few weeks

Depor will attack, attack, attack !!!!!

The ONLY chance we have is to match them offensively

If we get a lead late in the game, we cannot shut our offense down ala Catenaccio. Our defense doesnt have the skill or discipline to do that anymore. We MUST keep attacking, and go for the knockout punch !!!!!!

Still, I'm doubtful...

Depor 3 Juve 1

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
Quote by IceBlu:
The positive sign for Juve is that the team didn't let in any goals in the last 2 games so thats something to build on.

Hence i said "....thats something to BUILD on" ... i never said something like thats something to be proud about.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
yo im very excited for this game. I doubt it, but I reckon we will show much better form in this game than in the league. or our usual crap. Alessando could do a wonder goal on the counter.

Pete

Nov 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vinman ] ++
Quote by IceBlu:

This is Deportivo, a much more offensive team than the mid-table sides we have beaten in the last few weeks

Depor will attack, attack, attack !!!!!

The ONLY chance we have is to match them offensively

If we get a lead late in the game, we cannot shut our offense down ala Catenaccio. Our defense doesnt have the skill or discipline to do that anymore. We MUST keep attacking, and go for the knockout punch !!!!!!

Still, I'm doubtful...

Depor 3 Juve 1
You crazy man, we are Juventus! not Maccabi Haifa! and they are the hugely unimpressive Deportivo! 3-1 would be a goddamn disaster..
I think this is our turning point this season, when people start looking at Juve as a threat again..it's time for us to turn heads! :D

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I think vin-man and dpforever made great posts.
Lippi said Juve are focusing more on CL this year so im expecting to see the same Juve that did so well against Socidad, not the one we've been seeing in the league. Against bologna Juve showed some sighns of what to expect against Depor, They had some great spells in which some great football was played but i dont think it will be just spells that are going to be great against Depor i think Juve are gonna play great from the start till the finish and leave us with something to look forward to at the deli alpi. I would like to see the same line out that DP forever is thinking of for the first leg and maybe in the secon leg camoransi will take appiah's place, because he was great against Bologna.
I would also like to see Miccoli play a role in at least one of the games.
my guess for both games is:
3-3 and 3-1

OP
Len

Len

Feb 13, 2004
  • Thread Starter #57
    C'mon Juve!
    Lets win the CL this year
    Get the crucial away goals

OP
    Len

Len

Feb 13, 2004
  • Thread Starter #58
    We are Juve
    They are Depor
    Judging by class, we are 10 times ahead of them
    Guys, we can do it

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stevie11 ] ++
    I think vin-man and dpforever made great posts.
    Lippi said Juve are focusing more on CL this year so im expecting to see the same Juve that did so well against Socidad, not the one we've been seeing in the league. Against bologna Juve showed some sighns of what to expect against Depor, They had some great spells in which some great football was played but i dont think it will be just spells that are going to be great against Depor i think Juve are gonna play great from the start till the finish and leave us with something to look forward to at the deli alpi. I would like to see the same line out that DP forever is thinking of for the first leg and maybe in the secon leg camoransi will take appiah's place, because he was great against Bologna.
    I would also like to see Miccoli play a role in at least one of the games.
    my guess for both games is:
    3-3 and 3-1
    :thumb:

Good point! The Juve of Sociecad will be back!

Aug 1, 2003
    My Lord the CL is back!! After months of waiting in vain it's finally here! I even skipped school today just to welcome it! :D

anyway
    With or without Makaay or whatever, Deportivo scares the shite out of me. They may not seem as strong as previous seasons, but they're still strong. The greatest mistake Juve could ever do is underestimating them. Let's hope not.

CHEERS to Champions League!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)