[CL]Arsenal vs Juventus (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonersauras

Mar 11, 2006
tassard said:
4 CL finals in 10 years is not good?
No one remembers 2nd place ;)

I can't talk, our european record is shit, but Vieira was a main reason for this, cause he didn't even believe we could win it, although he was captain.

We've finally got confidence.. We're underdogs against you, and that's how we like it.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Goonersauras said:
No one remembers 2nd place ;)

I can't talk, our european record is shit, but Vieira was a main reason for this, cause he didn't even believe we could win it, although he was captain.

We've finally got confidence.. We're underdogs against you, and that's how we like it.
dude, ur an arsenal fan, so ur gna know more than me on this, but wanst vieira bar henry ur best player? a legend for arsenal, the man that made them tick, whenever i saw him play for u in the champions league it was him doing alot, and when u lost to chelsea (2004) he played well, and it was henry who was quiet and did nothing, thats what i thought anyway

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
have to say i have watched arsenal alot over the years due to the saturation of EPL on british tv and they were excellent over the last few years,now they have the worst team since wenger took over,in a couple of years they will be very very good but this is too early for them. that said they are playibng with temendous heart and spirit in the cl but i feel a better team than madrid would have stopped them last round

Fabregas23

Mar 19, 2006
Il Re said:
dude, ur an arsenal fan, so ur gna know more than me on this, but wanst vieira bar henry ur best player? a legend for arsenal, the man that made them tick, whenever i saw him play for u in the champions league it was him doing alot, and when u lost to chelsea (2004) he played well, and it was henry who was quiet and did nothing, thats what i thought anyway
Henry played crap against Chelsea, he does have a tendency to go missing in these sort of games, although he delivers as well alot of the time. When Henry's bad, he's really bad. So bad I prefer him the bench after 10 minutes as I can tell straight away what mood he is in.

Vieira was rubbish as well. He gave away the midfield in the second half and it was like his legs turned to rubber. A common occurence from him in the last few years at arsenal. Vieira basically couldn't run in that second half against Chelsea.

Fabregas23

Mar 19, 2006
Bozi.78 said:
have to say i have watched arsenal alot over the years due to the saturation of EPL on british tv and they were excellent over the last few years,now they have the worst team since wenger took over,in a couple of years they will be very very good but this is too early for them. that said they are playibng with temendous heart and spirit in the cl but i feel a better team than madrid would have stopped them last round

We're better now than we ever were in terms of passing and movement. We're just a bit more vulnerable to physical teams and corrupt referees who never give us free-kicks cause we are seen as soft. Referees couldn't be impartial if they're life depended on it.

NYJuve

Mar 15, 2006
Our game strictly depends on Zlatan's performances.
From September to mid-January Zlatan was unstoppable and so were Juve.

Then Zlatan's form dipped and Juve played not so good, sometimes very bad, even though we got to win most of the times.

If Zlatan's form comes back, we're # 1 to win the CL, otherwise it's gonna be tough against Arsenal and anybody else (Werder included).

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Fabregas23 said:
We're better now than we ever were in terms of passing and movement. We're just a bit more vulnerable to physical teams and corrupt referees who never give us free-kicks cause we are seen as soft. Referees couldn't be impartial if they're life depended on it.
you are serious??? the way you played the ball about when you won the title was breathtaking, stop blaming refs and recognise your squads limitations this season

Fabregas23

Mar 19, 2006
Bozi.78 said:
you are serious??? the way you played the ball about when you won the title was breathtaking, stop blaming refs and recognise your squads limitations this season

When I say now I mean the last month. Have you seen Alex Hleb in the last few matches or Fabregas?

If you look closely you will see arsenal never played good football against the top, top teams during our golden years. It was always against lesser teams. This team is the best yet in terms of balance on both sides.

Our limitations this year were chronic mad finishing and Pascal Cygan. None of left-backs fit since October. That's what ruined us. To the unitiated of course it's Vieira because it's the cliche's no-brainer answer.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Fabregas23 said:
When I say now I mean the last month. Have you seen Alex Hleb in the last few matches or Fabregas?

If you look closely you will see arsenal never played good football against the top, top teams during our golden years. It was always against lesser teams. This team is the best yet in terms of balance on both sides.

Our limitations this year were chronic mad finishing and Pascal Cygan. None of left-backs fit since October. That's what ruined us. To the unitiated of course it's Vieira because it's the cliche's no-brainer answer.
my brother is an arsenal fan so i see them alot, and hleb has been very good, he cant shoot well (apart from saturday) but everything else he is good at, and fabregas has been good too, the thing is, have u been tested against a very good team in teh cl this season, my opinion is not really, the group stage was easy, and real madrid did not give u a hard time, though u did well to humiliate them in madrid

Fabregas23

Mar 19, 2006
Il Re said:
my brother is an arsenal fan so i see them alot, and hleb has been very good, he cant shoot well (apart from saturday) but everything else he is good at, and fabregas has been good too, the thing is, have u been tested against a very good team in teh cl this season, my opinion is not really, the group stage was easy, and real madrid did not give u a hard time, though u did well to humiliate them in madrid
Well, no one really knows how much of a test Madrid were, as people were always gonna say they were crap if they lost to us. I still think they were a threat and we played damn well to give the impression they were past it more than they really were. Madrid were really gunning for us in that second leg and we still matched them. I would qualify that as a serious test though I get what you mean in terms of playing a well-drilled top notch european team. That's where Juve come in.

I always think playing Liverpool is a great test of a side's ability and I think we managed to play our passing game against them successfully. Juve are better than Liverpool but not by much.

I honestly think this current side is the best I have seen in years. Although we can still be vulnerable when we take breaks during games. Juve can exploit that so we have to be careful. As long as we concentrate at all times we should go through to the semi-finals.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
arsenal did play well against pool but only for a debatable red card for alonso liverpool would have been good value for a 1-1 draw at highbury a result which juve would love.

i think if trez and zlatan use thier physical presence they can unsettle lehman he does not like players challenging him.

hleb has been playing well but he also has a tendency to lose the ball stupidly when arsenal are pouring forward this is an area juve can also exploit.

i think juve have camo emerson vieira thuram and canavaro all one card away from suspension so with this the players must be carefull.

but arsenal will not have the time on the ball like they have against madrid and charlton and their next game against portsmouth will not really prepare them for juve although they might get to rest a few players.

while juve match with roma is ideal preparation as long as they suffer no injuries.

also last year when we played roma then madrid in the same week we had two great victories

Goonersauras

Mar 11, 2006
Arsenal are playing their best football of the season, and we had:

Sol Campbell
Ash Cole
Lauren
Robin van Persie

All out at the time.. 3 1st choice defenders and our 2nd choice striker behind Henry.

Sol and RvP are back from injury now.

We had a CM playing at LB and still have the 3rd best defensive record and best defensive record in the CL.

Hleb is playing his best football at Arsenal yet.

Cesc is dominating midfields (ala Liverpool)

Henry is playing with freedom due to Adebayor playing well.

Re: Vieira

Vieira was absolutely dire against Chelsea in the CL, he went absolutely anonymous in the 2nd half when we went back to 1-1, his head dropped and so did all the other players.

Media have overrated Vieira's presence for us in the last 2 seasons, he was distinctly average in those seasons and usually injured.

We've missed his presence in the dressing room, rather than on the pitch.

Our downfall was not replacing him at the beginning of the season.

Goonersauras

Mar 11, 2006
Eire said:
arsenal did play well against pool but only for a debatable red card for alonso liverpool would have been good value for a 1-1 draw at highbury a result which juve would love.
That's bollocks, we should have been 4-0 up before it was 1-1.

Henry missed 2 guilt edged chances and Adebayor missed a sitter.

Goonersauras

Mar 11, 2006
Bozi.78 said:
I agree that we're not on the unbeaten season level.

But blaming refs?

Injuries have fucked up over, we've had the worst list of injuries in the league along with Newcastle.

Cole got injured in November, then our back up left back Clichy got the exact same injury and they're both still out.

Sol has been in and out all season.

Henry missed 1 month near the beginning of the season.

Hleb missed 2 months.

Robin van Persie has missed 2 half months alltogether due to injury.

Freddie has been in and out.

Lauren is missing till the end of the season.

Not to mention the African Nations, where we lost our best CB (Toure) for a month.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
i hope campbell plays against juve he is a top player and will rediscover his form but right now his head is messed up he has very lttle confidence in his own ability right now and if he makes one mistake no matter how small the gremlins inside will eat away at him.

juve have to go to highbury and be brave as their is away goals thier for the taking it will be close but i think juves style can disrupt arsenals style enough to get the results needeed

Goonersauras

Mar 11, 2006
Eire said:
i hope campbell plays against juve he is a top player and will rediscover his form but right now his head is messed up he has very lttle confidence in his own ability right now and if he makes one mistake no matter how small the gremlins inside will eat away at him.

juve have to go to highbury and be brave as their is away goals thier for the taking it will be close but i think juves style can disrupt arsenals style enough to get the results needeed
I agree about Sol, i'd rather us stick with Senderos tbh.. He's been great lately and is building a great understanding with Toure, like they did last season.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
Goonersauras said:
That's bollocks, we should have been 4-0 up before it was 1-1.

Henry missed 2 guilt edged chances and Adebayor missed a sitter.

alright your point is true i should have elaborated more.

arsenal controled the game for a good while but missed critical chances and only had
a 1 goal lead to show for it, liverpool came more into it and started to look dangerous got the equaliser and suddenly looked like the team most likely to get the second, or at least take a point, then a brutal decision by the ref and an equally poor mistake from gerard.

look im not trying to take anything away from arsenal they have discovered some self confidence and are playing v well of late.

but we have seen time and time again this season when teams make it difficult for them to play their flowing football get stuck in and break up the play some of their players go missing.

but in the CL its all on the night past perfomances and who you beat to qualify for this round matter zero and i think juve can stop arsenals game and also get at their backs the two full backs flamini and eboue have been good of late but not really tested and after one mistake or lapse that new found confidence can quicly vanish.

though juve have quite a few key players close to suspension and will not want to many players missing the second leg although a yellow for toure would be disaster for arsenal as it potentally leaves you with maybe a senderos and cygan partnership for the second leg.

im not saying juve will go through im just stating how i believe juve can cause arsenal problems while you are stating likewise. and if arsenal can create space for their faster players to exploit they will be most dangerous.

this tie will be close 50/50 ish(

but i chose to see it as 55/45 in juves favour close but juve to edge through.

but one thing is for sure i cannot wait till next tuesday

but what if pompey injury henry how confident will you be then:pint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)