Circumcision, hip or lame? (12 Viewers)

What do you think?

• Hip

• Lame

Results are only viewable after voting.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So if the question is uncertain you allow it? I thought it worked the other way around. If we're not certain about something, we disallow it.
Not in this case. If you want to sue the parents, you'll have to prove that they made a mistake. Which is impossible.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Meh..I don't like this personal evolution of mine. Ever since I started studying Law I see legal problems everywhere. And what's worse: I see legal answers.

Jun 26, 2007
Isn't that like saying "well child abuse, it's bound to happen, there's nothing you can do"? But there is something we can do, we have institutions to deal with this kind of thing. I don't dispute that parents are in control the way I don't dispute a forum admin is in control of a forum. But the ruler always has a choice whether to exercise control or not. And he's responsible for that choice.
I have no idea what you trying to say here, and I think you're missing my point. You said circumcision is bad because it's a form of control. I said that control is inevitable and that a form of control isn't bad if it doesn't harm anyone or fundamentally changes someone's identity.

child abuse: control + harm -> bad
circumcision: control + no harm or fundamental identity change -> not bad

Your counterargument?

Now you're just talking damage control. "Well he's gonna be hurt worse with those people, so let's just minimize the damage." Is this an official admission that circumcision, whether in the exercise of control or the act itself, is harmful? :p
Rather the opposite. I tried to show that circumcision is even less harmful than being raised by low class parents, passing on their 'low class traditions', even if they don't raise their son to do anything considered immoral. You have to agree with that. And now my question to you is: do you consider it immoral, when a child is raised by low class parents? If you do, you consider almost any situation a child can be in immoral. If you don't, how the hell can you consider circumcision immoral?

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #106
    I have no idea what you trying to say here, and I think you're missing my point. You said circumcision is bad because it's a form of control. I said that control is inevitable and that a form of control isn't bad if it doesn't harm anyone or fundamentally changes someone's identity.

child abuse: control + harm -> bad
    circumcision: control + no harm or fundamental identity change -> not bad

Your counterargument?
    I guess I'm not quite buying this argument that it causes no harm. Mind you I don't have any technical knowledge about this but Seven mentioned that it reduces sexual experience. If so, that is a form of harm. It's pretty obvious that this is the motive in the female case, so it seems to me safe to assume it's the same in the male case.

Rather the opposite. I tried to show that circumcision is even less harmful than being raised by low class parents, passing on their 'low class traditions', even if they don't raise their son to do anything considered immoral. You have to agree with that. And now my question to you is: do you consider it immoral, when a child is raised by low class parents? If you do, you consider almost any situation a child can be in immoral. If you don't, how the hell can you consider circumcision immoral?
    This is a different question, though. I think you're asking whether someone who is not aware of the harm he is doing can be morally responsible for it. To which the answer is (obviously?) no.

Jun 26, 2007
    I guess I'm not quite buying this argument that it causes no harm. Mind you I don't have any technical knowledge about this but Seven mentioned that it reduces sexual experience. If so, that is a form of harm. It's pretty obvious that this is the motive in the female case, so it seems to me safe to assume it's the same in the male case.
    I already mentioned that I considered the reduction in sensitivity (which a lot of people actually consider as an advantage) obviously neglectible when deciding whether it's harmful or not, to which nobody protested. Then you went on to say that it is a form of control and therefore is immoral. I showed that not every form of control is immoral/bad because control is inevitable, to which nobody protested. And now you're going back to discussing whether it's harmful or not?

Female circumcision is a whole other ballpark, as it disallows them to have sex at all or causes great pain during sex. The male equivalent would be chopping of the head or something. :p

This is a different question, though. I think you're asking whether someone who is not aware of the harm he is doing can be morally responsible for it. To which the answer is (obviously?) no.
    So you're implying that parents who circumsize their child are consciously doing something unethical? If not, answer my original question.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #108
    I already mentioned that I considered the reduction in sensitivity (which a lot of people actually consider as an advantage) obviously neglectible when deciding whether it's harmful or not, to which nobody protested. Then you went on to say that it is a form of control and therefore is immoral. I showed that not every form of control is immoral/bad because control is inevitable, to which nobody protested. And now you're going back to discussing whether it's harmful or not?

Female circumcision is a whole other ballpark, as it disallows them to have sex at all or causes great pain during sex. The male equivalent would be chopping of the head or something. :p

So you're implying that parents who circumsize their child are consciously doing something unethical? If not, answer my original question.
    No, the question is whose judgment are we talking about? The woman who killed her kid with prayer may have been morally just, thought it was all a trial of faith etc. But so what? The kid died. So we, as "society" say she's guilty. And we can say that parents who circumcize, if that's harmful, are guilty, even if they don't know it's harmful.

It's like the race speech thing. If you go around calling people niggers and you don't see anything wrong with that, you're morally just. But that doesn't mean you're not causing harm.

EDIT: Btw this is where JuveRev's objective morality really burns cause conflicting parties can be morally just at the same time. :D

Jun 13, 2007
    I don't like the idea. The unimaginable pain they put the newborn through is just not right in my opinion. Since it is not imperative, I don't see why it should be done. Hygene is not a good reason, I shower every day, I don't need to cut my foreskin to be clean.

Jun 13, 2007
    No, the question is whose judgment are we talking about? The woman who killed her kid with prayer may have been morally just, thought it was all a trial of faith etc. But so what? The kid died. So we, as "society" say she's guilty. And we can say that parents who circumcize, if that's harmful, are guilty, even if they don't know it's harmful.

It's like the race speech thing. If you go around calling people niggers and you don't see anything wrong with that, you're morally just. But that doesn't mean you're not causing harm.

EDIT: Btw this is where JuveRev's objective morality really burns cause conflicting parties can be morally just at the same time. :D
    You just said it yourself. It's immoral to go around calling poeple, "niggers". Thus since your opinion does not matter, it is going to be wrong anyway. Objective morality does indeed exist.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #111
    You just said it yourself. It's immoral to go around calling poeple, "niggers". Thus since your opinion does not matter, it is going to be wrong anyway. Objective morality does indeed exist.
    No, I did not say that. I said IF YOU KNOW that people are offended to be called niggers THEN IT IS IMMORAL. You really need to pay more attention to IFs, they are important.

If someone doesn't know what the word nigger means in American culture.. perhaps he just came to the country and he heard the word on tv, doesn't know the meaning behind it. How can he be immoral to call someone a nigger with the best intentions?

Jun 26, 2007
    Of course you can, but circumcizion isn't harmful. No one has ever complained about being circumcized and circumcizion is commonly accepted in the medical world. Most doctors are probably indifferent to it, which is the attitude I'm trying to convey.

Jun 13, 2007
    No, I did not say that. I said IF YOU KNOW that people are offended to be called niggers THEN IT IS IMMORAL. You really need to pay more attention to IFs, they are important.

If someone doesn't know what the word nigger means in American culture.. perhaps he just came to the country and he heard the word on tv, doesn't know the meaning behind it. How can he be immoral to call someone a nigger with the best intentions?
    Okay then. It is objectively immoral to call someone a 'nigger' when you know you are goinf to hurt the person. Again, if I were a redneck who believed otherwise, it wouldn't matter would it? Because morality is not relative, If it were, than this sort of racism is only immoral for those who think it is immoral.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #115
    Okay then. It is objectively immoral to call someone a 'nigger' when you know you are goinf to hurt the person. Again, if I were a redneck who believed otherwise, it wouldn't matter would it? Because morality is not relative, If it were, than this sort of racism is only immoral for those who think it is immoral.
    But if you didn't know it was an offensive word, and you used it. And people got offended. Then both you and they would be morally just. And in conflict. So where is the objective morality in that?

Jun 13, 2007
    But if you didn't know it was an offensive word, and you used it. And people got offended. Then both you and they would be morally just. And in conflict. So where is the objective morality in that?
    You completely ignored what I just said. If I knew I was being hurtful and still called him a 'nigger' then I am being objectively immoral. You said the other day that it is all relative to one's moral standard, this is what I ask you.

If my moral standard did not think it was immoral to call him a nigger despite knowing it would hurt him, does that make my act moral?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #118
    You completely ignored what I just said. If I knew I was being hurtful and still called him a 'nigger' then I am being objectively immoral. You said the other day that it is all relative to one's moral standard, this is what I ask you.

If my moral standard did not think it was immoral to call him a nigger despite knowing it would hurt him, does that make my act moral?
    Yes

Jun 13, 2007
    I suppose that would mean that the Nazi's were morally just. They thought it was right, didn't they? They believed they were doing the world a favor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)