Circumcision, hip or lame? (14 Viewers)

What do you think?

• Hip

• Lame

Results are only viewable after voting.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Like I said, maybe if you live in the desert you have trouble maintaining hygiene. Otherwise, what exactly is the difficulty?
So only living in a desert makes sense to you for someone to cut it off? You can take shower everyday but still sweat and not prevent getting dirt in some areas of your body. So why not do something that will already help you to get rid of something that has no use but only hoover the dirt?

This is like someone growing his facial hair like those religious people saying it doesn't bother him if he can't prevent dirt because he'll take shower everyday.

Personally, i'm glad my father decided to cut it off for me. Because when you're still a baby, you feel no pain at all, because it's soft and it heals pretty fast.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So only living in a desert makes sense to you for someone to cut it off? You can take shower everyday but still sweat and not prevent getting dirt in some areas of your body. So why not do something that will already help you to get rid of something that has no use but only hoover the dirt?

This is like someone growing his facial hair like those religious people saying it doesn't bother him if he can't prevent dirt because he'll take shower everyday.

Personally, i'm glad my father decided to cut it off for me. Because when you're still a baby, you feel no pain at all, because it's soft and it heals pretty fast.
1. You do feel the pain.
2. It does have a function.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #85

You can say that it's practical like Jack said. That doesn't mean it's medically advised. Like I said if you pull out all your nails you will never get dirt under your nails (and never have to cut them). That too is a practical matter. So why don't we do that to our kids?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #87
    It's not universal to all males.

And would it matter if it was?
    Of course, this is a ritual we're talking about that applies to everyone indiscriminately.

If you have other procedures that apply other criteria that would be a different matter.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    You can say that it's practical like Jack said. That doesn't mean it's medically advised. Like I said if you pull out all your nails you will never get dirt under your nails (and never have to cut them). That too is a practical matter. So why don't we do that to our kids?
    Because it's not normal and doesn't make sense to take out all your nails?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    Bingo. Who says it makes sense to cut off parts of your genitals? I don't think that's normal in the least.
    My parents? Me? Not a religious book of course. Because I don't care what they say concerning this. But it makes sense to me and it did make sense to my father back then. That's what it matters to me TBH.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Honestly Martin, this custom is so wellspread that doctors would first have to prove that circumcision suits no medical goals. As long as they can't the parents can say they're doing it for the well being of the kid. There's no legal basis here.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #94
    Honestly Martin, this custom is so wellspread that doctors would first have to prove that circumcision suits no medical goals. As long as they can't the parents can say they're doing it for the well being of the kid. There's no legal basis here.
    Yeah, I know that. But I'm not lobbying Congress am I. It's just an ethical debate.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    People shouldn't appreciate doctors cutting off some of the more sensory cells down there just for religious purposes.

And hygiene? Yeah, we've got soap for that.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, I know that. But I'm not lobbying Congress am I. It's just an ethical debate.
    True. But my ethical standpoint is the same as the legal one. As long as the medical questions remain unanswered, I simply can't give a complete and correct answer. I think all surgeries must be avoided when possible, but on the other hand this is such a minor one that if done right there is basically no risk.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #100
    True. But my ethical standpoint is the same as the legal one. As long as the medical questions remain unanswered, I simply can't give a complete and correct answer. I think all surgeries must be avoided when possible, but on the other hand this is such a minor one that if done right there is basically no risk.
    So if the question is uncertain you allow it? I thought it worked the other way around. If we're not certain about something, we disallow it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)