Christmas sucks! (1 Viewer)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

it was cool before when i would get money from every guest that came to the house, now when i'm older and i actually do need all that money, everyone brings some stupid chocolate or something like that. :wallbang:

yeah christmas pretty musch does suck, cause in fact it is all about the presents/money, who ever says otherwise is a liar. :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
OP

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    Martin said:
    That movement is such bs. Instead of banning stores that use "Happy Holidays", how about banning stores altogether and remembering the time when Christmas wasn't just about gifts? The commercialization of the holiday is sickening, regardless of what you call it.
    Perfectly true.

But Im also looking at the political aspect of it. No more Christmas, but now its "X-mas" or "Holidays". No "Christmas tree", but "Holiday tree".

I dont understand who exactly is offended by the presence of Christmas? We've been celebrating it for centuries, regardless of whether it is Christian in origin or not. Can someone truly be offended by a cultural phenomena they have experienced, or at least been highly exposed to since they were born? 96 percent of the country celebrates Christmas. By saying "Merry Christmas" are we offending anyone? I havent heard anyone who celebrates Hanukkah complain that his religion is somehow "left out".

Christmas is now a cultural thing more than a religious thing. Do they fuck with it in the name of diversity just because Christians celebrate it?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Layce Erayce said:
    I dont understand who exactly is offended by the presence of Christmas? We've been celebrating it for centuries, regardless of whether it is Christian in origin or not. Can someone truly be offended by a cultural phenomena they have experienced, or at least been highly exposed to since they were born? 96 percent of the country celebrates Christmas. By saying "Merry Christmas" are we offending anyone? I havent heard anyone who celebrates Hanukkah complain that his religion is somehow "left out".

Christmas is now a cultural thing more than a religious thing. Do they fuck with it in the name of diversity just because Christians celebrate it?
    That's exactly the point, few people actually celebrate Christmas in a religious manner, you don't see a lot of mangers all over the place, it's become very commonplace and secular. And people celebrate tradition all over the place, it's not just religious holidays that are recognized, hence there's nothing very Christian about Christmas anymore.

Apr 12, 2004
    Martin said:
    That's exactly the point, few people actually celebrate Christmas in a religious manner, you don't see a lot of mangers all over the place, it's become very commonplace and secular. And people celebrate tradition all over the place, it's not just religious holidays that are recognized, hence there's nothing very Christian about Christmas anymore.

Boom!

Agreed. +rep

3pac

Alex Del Mexico
    May 7, 2004
    christmas is excellent, im not religious at all and im getting a car and its sound system among other things :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Layce Erayce said:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002647493_ndig26.html

And that isnt the only incident. All of a sudden people dont like the word "Christmas". Por que?
    I kind of assumed that was an American thing. I've never been a fan of the abomination that is "X-mas", but it's usually used for space reasons - I've never heard someone actually say it.

This new trend towards stripping what little remains of the actual religious feast from it is a disgrace.

For a satirical view of it all, trust The Onion.

For a particular stupid story of how polarised the "debate" on this has become, here's an article about a Wall-Mart employee fired for a factual email. From the article:
    We may be two peoples separated by a common language, as Shaw once suggested, but the US propensity to find teeth-grindingly literal explanations for the world around us never ceases to cause the British mirth.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Layce Erayce said:
    Perfectly true.

But Im also looking at the political aspect of it. No more Christmas, but now its "X-mas" or "Holidays". No "Christmas tree", but "Holiday tree".

I don't think anyone is offended. These stores do it to target everyone, not just Christians, that's why they do it. Also, Christmas happens to be around the same time as Hannakuh and Kwanza, so I guess they just use "happy holidays" to make it simpler. But lol, Holiday Tree? that's pathetic!

I agree w/Martin though, all this comercialization of holidays is taking away the meaning and importance of the holidays.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Christmas is only great when you're a kid and believe in santa etc. Now its just the worst day of the year where all the relatives you hate come over, you're nursing a bad hangover anyway and you're not allowed out the house/none of your mates are.

Positives for me are the cheesy christmas music that gets played in the clubs and the constant pissups, two weeks off work.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    the only thing about christmas that I don´t like is the fact that there is christmas or winter break in most of europs top football leauge :cry:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Tom said:
    Christmas is only great when you're a kid and believe in santa etc. Now its just the worst day of the year where all the relatives you hate come over, you're nursing a bad hangover anyway and you're not allowed out the house/none of your mates are.
    So quit living off your parents you cheap bastard :D

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    actually they're gonna charge me board from April next year (21st birthday) so will be moving out around then :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)