Christian Poulsen (3 Viewers)

Should Poulsen be part of the Juve squad for the 2010/11 season?

• Yes

• No

• Depends on who is signed and what offers are made for Poulsen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Indeed, dont think Andy was bein unrealistic in demanding naive champagne football for the sake of it. But that we should build a team that can play good football, that can create and play the game efficiently and well. Bit like how Roma are doing (all due to their coach). Instead we shoot ourselves in the foot by relying heavily on individual quality, and having a meagre basic game approach which doesnt have much creativity in overall.

The overall basic approach of a team is showcased evidently when you arent having your brighter days, we dont have a basic sound gameplan to fall back on then . The players get insecure, no one can pass much, and they succumb to rash balls or desperate long balls. Thats football without idea. And we can easily play our game with some thought and creativity behind it, far from a demanding thng, and Lippi did countless of times, and Ancelotti for us too (funny thing is Ranieri isnt even a defensive coach, we go quite gunho and direct on attacks often, and are real good at counters, score alot and so on, but his main drawback is he just doesnt put much thought behind the gameplan, its just very simple, mundane, hence also uncreative).

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Indeed, Osman. And I'm not even asking to play like Roma. They play some pretty football, but I wouldn't try playing without a targetman. What we could do is be a more balanced side with a little more flow on the ball, but for some reason we're clueless. I've figured out that it either has to do with the system we play or the defensive midfielders in the center, and I'm leaning towards a little of both.

IMO the straight 4-4-2 with two destroyers leads to longball play, and hence why I hate it.

I'd even go as far as saying that under Lippi's second term we were one of the most efficient passing sides in the world. Today we are nowhere near that level; not even close. System or players? Coaching influence? A conglomeration probably, yet we have similar and some of the same players in midfield

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Can somebody tell me why we can't just use this instead of the straight 4-4-2?

Buffon

Zebina - Mellberg - Chiellini - Ugh

Camoranesi - Sissoko - Zanetti

Giovinco

Trezeguet - Del Piero

I mean, why do we have to use the straight 4 in midfield? Giovinco on the left isn't going to do much good defending anyway, plus we still have our two DM's out there. Camoranesi is out on the right like usual as well. Sure, it's a little unbalanced, but so was Lippi's team that went to the final in 2003. Hell, all sorts of great sides are unbalanced.

With the two DM's in there we still have enough cover and we get to unleash Giovinco in his natural role. So why is Ranieri so set on the straight 4?

If we were to field this I'd be happier, but we all know this won't happen unless something strange happens.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
The thing is, even if play 4-4-2 on paper, thats how we will play and look on the field when Giovinco is on. A left winger who is style is more suited centrally will cut in alot and roam. Nedved does that alot for us, and he isnt a typical AMC even, Gio will go more central for sure.

Doubt it will be so rigid.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The thing is, even if play 4-4-2 on paper, thats how we will play and look on the field when Giovinco is on. A left winger who is style is more suited centrally will cut in alot and roam. Nedved does that alot for us, and he isnt a typical AMC even, Gio will go more central for sure.

Nedved didn't roam as centrally as he did before last season though. He was tied to the tactics, which was partly why we looked horrid passing the ball as everyone was static.

It depends on how much freedom Ranieri gives Giovinco, and we don't know anything about that yet.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003

That's exactly what i always thought about from last season. Ranieri doesn't have the rigidness of capello in his formations with the latter demanding more discipline in keeping positions. Ranieri allows more freedom to all his players and we saw that several times even with sissoko. In many games we saw both camo and neddy drifting everywhere behind the strikers.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Take a look :

Flamini was a free agent.
Flamini will get 5m eur a year. With taxes added it means that Milan will be paying 10m eur a year.
His 4 year contract means that after 4 years Milan will pay 40m eur.

Poulsen is not a free agent and his price is 9.75m eur.
Poulsen asks for 3m eur a year. With taxes added it's 6m eur a year and in 4 years the team will have to pay 24m eur only for the wages.
Add the 9.75m payed to the team that owned his contract and you get a final number of 33.75m eur.

6.25m less than the 40m Milan will pay for Flamini.

Nothing's free, Ahmed.
Not only that, but is Flamini such a good player ,that he deserves to earn as much as Buffon, and more than Trez, Chiellini, Sissoko, and Del Piero, who are the core of the team?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Nedved didn't roam as centrally as he did before last season though. He was tied to the tactics, which was partly why we looked horrid passing the ball as everyone was static.

It depends on how much freedom Ranieri gives Giovinco, and we don't know anything about that yet.
I have to disagree here. Nedved was tied to the left flank during the Capello spell, last year with Ranieri more than often he was placed as a pure AMC.

zann

SG Juventino!
May 30, 2004
Lol this also applies to playing football.

Most of my campmates has been strongly influenced by the EPL and play short passes, while all I do is help my team in assists by playing long passes and quick through balls. TBH everybody wanna dribble past everybody when it is just deadly passing that solves everything
LOL you cant avoid those dudes who think they are messi haha...

hey which camp you in? what unit?

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Exactly, that was what I exactly saw constantly, he had ALOT of freedom to move and did so often. Ranieri doesnt really tie down players, it was more a Capello (who restricted Nedved to hugging the lines), who was even stubborn enough to force a forward like Robinho to defend ALOT and drawback almost allways.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I remember an article I read a few days ago (I think from CH4) in which Iaquinta referred to Giovinco as the 5th striker... so maybe this is something that has been stressed to the team (maybe not). I interpreted this (because I REALLY wanted to) as meaning that we'll see quite a bit of 4-3-1-2 (or 4-3-3) - we definitely have the personnel to frequently play with a trequartista. It would also make quite a bit of sense if one wanted to justify the Poulsen signing. It would decrease the opportunities for Nedved (although he could play some in that role as well...retro style) but if all goes well with Seba, this was bound to happen anyways.

I'm with you Andy - I feel that a 4-3-1-2 is the way to go. I guess only time will reveal the strong chameleon tree that is Juventus. Can't wait to get the season started...

Luftwaffles

Il terzo uomo
Dec 1, 2005
Indeed, dont think Andy was bein unrealistic in demanding naive champagne football for the sake of it. But that we should build a team that can play good football, that can create and play the game efficiently and well. Bit like how Roma are doing (all due to their coach). Instead we shoot ourselves in the foot by relying heavily on individual quality, and having a meagre basic game approach which doesnt have much creativity in overall.

The overall basic approach of a team is showcased evidently when you arent having your brighter days, we dont have a basic sound gameplan to fall back on then . The players get insecure, no one can pass much, and they succumb to rash balls or desperate long balls. Thats football without idea. And we can easily play our game with some thought and creativity behind it, far from a demanding thng, and Lippi did countless of times, and Ancelotti for us too (funny thing is Ranieri isnt even a defensive coach, we go quite gunho and direct on attacks often, and are real good at counters, score alot and so on, but his main drawback is he just doesnt put much thought behind the gameplan, its just very simple, mundane, hence also uncreative).
That was self evident last season and reflects badly on the coach. The failure of a coach to imbue the players with a tactical gameplan and a sense of creative play, particularly with forwards showing imaginative movement of the ball, shouldn't be tolerated by the tifosi.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
the 4-3-1-2 is def the best option we have available at the moment to us but i have a funny feeling that ranieri will stick to the 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 system. If this is the case then Our team, as it is at the moment hasn't got the personnel to last a whole season. Hopefully ranieri will surprise us and use this formation as camo, nedved, gio and del piero could all opereate effectively in the hole (obviously the latter would need to be pushed up slightly into more of a trident but it would certainly give us more options, then with a midfield of sissoko-poulsen-camo or sissoko-zanetti-camo we'd look pretty solid - excluding our fullbacks!!

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
I hate how Giovinco is tied to the olympics though, he wont join the team before september.
i guess it is not bad for us, that he is at the olympics. he has a guaranteed spot in the first eleven there. much better then just playing 20 minutes in a friendly ... let him gather further experience there, he would not get so much playing time with us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)