Chile Quake (1 Viewer)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Dude its an exceptional case, this earthquake is the 5th strongest earthquake in the last century! And we're not even one month away from that Haiti quake...

If you're not interested in such an important worldwide issue I dont know what will attract your attention.

And yes, its a pure personal interest.
I didnt mean to offend you, its just not something that you have shown a big interest in. By last century do you the 2000-2010 or 1900-2000.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Andy have you seen the footage CNN shown about Chile's harbors?
I did. Pretty catastrophic stuff.

Nature and its might is a beautiful thing to behold, but much sympathy to the folks affected by this.

You and Chavez should become BFFs. He is the KING of conspiracy theories.
But I'm not a conspiracy "theorist" and don't subscribe to this paranoid nonsense of man-made electromagnetic transmitters causing the tectonic plates to shift, just like I don't believe that large greys and reptilians are running around underground in high speed subways originating from Area 51. All that is just a distraction from real issues.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
I didnt mean to offend you, its just not something that you have shown a big interest in. By last century do you the 2000-2010 or 1900-2000.
I know you didn't :juventus:

And I will show interest from now on then :D

Oh and the last century is from 1900-2000.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
They're saying the one in Argentina is separate and not an aftershock from the one in Chile.
Actually its neither a separate nor an aftershock.

Its the same earthquake that hit Chile but reached the border of Argentina and since Argentina isn't ready for such disasters(even though it wasn't as powerful as the one that hit Santiago) the earthquake killed two and that's by only reaching the border.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
A landslide have just been recorded in LA. It is said to be connected to the earthquake/Tsunami.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The reporting on the quakes and aftershocks has been horrible, but that's to be expected. Hard to tell what is what. But aftershocks from this quake in Chile could occur today, tomorrow, next week and even next year considering its magnitude and scale.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
I've heard the japanese invented an earthquake predictor that can predict a quake 10 seconds before it happens. I wonder if its true

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
There are certain indicators geologists use to predict earthquakes that will occur days or weeks in advance. The only problem is they don't offer a pinpoint timeframe and specific epicenter.

The Japanese probably use thermal modeling or reflectivity analysis.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's just so impossible to reliably test these things. Even Parkfield, CA, where everyone sets up to test and measure, has an event only every so often.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)