Chelsea Win Right To Sue (1 Viewer)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Chelsea win key judgement on Mutu
By Mihir Bose
BBC sports editor

Chelsea will now be able to pursue compensation for Mutu
Chelsea may be able to revive their plans to sue former player Adrian Mutu after winning a key appeal in their battle for compensation.

Chelsea sacked the striker after he was found guilty of drug-taking in 2004.

And the BBC has learnt Chelsea have won an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport against Fifa's decision they were not entitled to compensation.

Chelsea will decide upon their next step after the judgement is delivered, which is expected to be next week.

The Premiership champions might not only seek to get money back from Mutu, but also from Juventus, who signed the Romanian on a five-year contract after his sacking and before his suspension for drug taking had ended.

Chelsea felt Mutu had brought about his own downfall and wanted to recover the money they had lost on his transfer fee and wages.

The Premier League backed Chelsea's view, but world governing body Fifa turned the club down. Chelsea have now succeeded in their appeal against that verdict.

In 2005, Mutu lost an appeal to CAS against his sacking by Chelsea.

Be fairly gutting if some of our funds alloated for new signings have to be used to compensate poor hard-up Chelski.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Such a law would be rather messed up if Chelsea sack Mutu and successfully "fine" us for simply giving him a contract after they sacked him.

We should not be liable for this nonsense. Mutu is the only party here that should be subject to any fines.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Seriously, this should get slapped down in court. Mutu might owe Chelski money for breach of contract, but Juve? Nonsense.

OP
Red

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #4
    Seriously, this should get slapped down in court. Mutu might owe Chelski money for breach of contract, but Juve? Nonsense.
    I agree and Chelsea wouldn't be able o get anything from Juve under Scottish Law but I don't know what the case would be in England or Sporting Courts.

It would be totally unfair if Juve have to pay anything as we did nothing wrong.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
    if anything chelsea should be fined for abusing their money in the transfer market, boo hoo they lost some money on mutu, its their own fault for sacking him, you cant sack sum1 and then successfully sue them if they get a job with a different company and u certainly cant sue the people that employs them, surely this is a breach of the restraint of trade principle

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
    We have nothing to do with this, we took Mutu from Livorno :eyebrows: so Chelsea should sue them. :p

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    mu2 breached the contract not juve, so in the eyes of the law chelsea shud only be able to chase up what is agreed between the 2 parties, juve in my eyes have no liability to owe or pay anything to chelsea and tbh with the money chelsh*t have, what right do they have asking us? YES US! the great JUVENTUS for money?!?!? have a word with don corleone abramobitch, and see how he feels about being asked for money

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
    The entire football transfer system is a breach of the restraint of trade principle. Bosman nearly broke it. What we have now is a compromise.
    Do you mean that the only solution to get out of it is compromising Mutu's contract with Chelsea by buying it?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Do you mean that the only solution to get out of it is compromising Mutu's contract with Chelsea by buying it?
    No, I mean that the fact that FIFA says that Christiano Ronaldo or David Trezeguet can't give a month's notice and move jobs is illegal. The only reason footballers can't move clubs at will is because the system we have is slowly moving away from effective contract slavery - a system that Bosman nearly took down in 1995. If Chelski try to push this, one of three things will happen:

1) They'll get told to get stuffed and thinks will be as normal.
    2) They'll push too hard and Juve will wind up breaking the transfer system entirely - someone's going to do it sooner or later.
    3) They'll bribe the judge and win.

But hey, what do I know. I'm no lawyer.

Ahmedios

Nov 11, 2006
    No, I mean that the fact that FIFA says that Christiano Ronaldo or David Trezeguet can't give a month's notice and move jobs is illegal. The only reason footballers can't move clubs at will is because the system we have is slowly moving away from effective contract slavery - a system that Bosman nearly took down in 1995. If Chelski try to push this, one of three things will happen:

2) They'll push too hard and Juve will wind up breaking the transfer system entirely - someone's going to do it sooner or later.

Thanks for the explanation. :pint:

chester

Too busy to bother
    May 20, 2006
    I can't imagine we being fined for this.
    Incredible, they have so much money, but still would want a few million from us, idiots.

OP
    Red

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
  • Thread Starter #17

Well I'm studying law at Uni and you're not far off the mark.

I fail to see how Juve could be liable because they had nothing to do with the initial breach of Mutu's contract with Chelsea.

Sooner or later option 2 from above will happen and football will become like every other job and a person will be able to had in their notice and leave for another club. This has already moved closer through Bosman and the Andy Wbster transfer from Hearts to Wigan.

In a few years contracts in football will be pretty much useless.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
    Aug 25, 2006
    Such a law would be rather messed up if Chelsea sack Mutu and successfully "fine" us for simply giving him a contract after they sacked him.

We should not be liable for this nonsense. Mutu is the only party here that should be subject to any fines.
    We should not be liable - we got Mutu from Livorno. Chelsea are just gold-digging. They chose to sack Mutu, so if they lost money on the transfer as a consequence, that's their hard cheddar (cheese). Furthermore, how can they have the gall to claim for money they "lost" on his wages. They probably made a big saving on his wages because they sacked him rather than keep him on and continue to pay his basic salary.

if anything chelsea should be fined for abusing their money in the transfer market, boo hoo they lost some money on mutu, its their own fault for sacking him, you cant sack sum1 and then successfully sue them if they get a job with a different company and u certainly cant sue the people that employs them, surely this is a breach of the restraint of trade principle
    Word! :thumbs:

We have nothing to do with this, we took Mutu from Livorno :eyebrows: so Chelsea should sue them. :p
    :agree: That's right.

Well I'm studying law at Uni and you're not far off the mark.

I fail to see how Juve could be liable because they had nothing to do with the initial breach of Mutu's contract with Chelsea.

Sooner or later option 2 from above will happen and football will become like every other job and a person will be able to had in their notice and leave for another club. This has already moved closer through Bosman and the Andy Webster transfer from Hearts to Wigan.

In a few years contracts in football will be pretty much useless.
    Thanks for the info, Juve Red.

Donsazio

Feb 26, 2006
    all tht dam club seem to do now-a-days is bloody moan. if they lose tonight mourinho will find sumfin to moan about, a "penalty" from a hand ball from outside the 18 yrd box again perhaps. they shuld be fined for buying the premiership.

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
    Aug 25, 2006
    all tht dam club seem to do now-a-days is bloody moan. if they lose tonight mourinho will find sumfin to moan about, a "penalty" from a hand ball from outside the 18 yrd box again perhaps. they shuld be fined for buying the premiership.
    Mourinho is turning into a moaning minnie???? Is he practising to be inter's next coach? :p ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)