Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (1 Viewer)

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I don't think that there is an easy solution to such a complicated matter. Sadly, we'll have to suffer through it because some parents are raising their children with ridiculously big fear for God. Annoying...

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The biggest Danish political party at the moment is advocating a suspension of the state as we know it. Closing all Mosques, withdrawing citizenships etc.

I have a vision of a couple of Muslim kids lynched in the nearest future. Fucking hell.
It's what you get with fairly constant terrorist attacks in the name of Islam. Not to mention the fact that the muslim community never responds harshly to these attacks either. The lack of response might even indicate a sort of sympathy for this kind of behaviour.

Yes, I too see life becoming hard for muslims. But there comes a point where you have yourself to blame.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
It's what you get with fairly constant terrorist attacks in the name of Islam. Not to mention the fact that the muslim community never responds harshly to these attacks either. The lack of response might even indicate a sort of sympathy for this kind of behaviour.

Yes, I too see life becoming hard for muslims. But there comes a point where you have yourself to blame.
:tup:

petersmit

Mar 14, 2006
All the smart people on earth should just get together and prove religion is wrong.. Prove there are no gods.. 99% of the murders and wars wouldn't happen if religion stopped existing...

Too bad some people still need an imaginary friend in their lives and/or need to live by some god damn book

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Who represents the muslim community, and how do you want them to react?

I see this every time, but I've never understood it. If you know enough about those radical groups and if you follow the news in the Middle East you'd know that they kill a lot more muslims than they do non muslims. You really think the muslim community would sympathise with a group like that? It's a fairly one sided view to believe that western countries are the primary targets and main victim of these groups, and it all stems from selective perception.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Who represents the muslim community, and how do you want them to react?

I see this every time, but I've never understood it. If you know enough about those radical groups and if you follow the news in the Middle East you'd know that they kill a lot more muslims than they do non muslims. You really think the muslim community would sympathise with a group like that? It's a fairly one sided view to believe that western countries are the primary targets and main victim of these groups, and it all stems from selective perception.
I mean muslim communities in European countries. You have mosques and leaders here too. They hardly, if ever, speak out against those attacks. If you read my post again I also never claimed that western countries are the primary targets. You have to understand, Fred, that the standard defense "these are not muslims" doesn't cut it. No one is interested in a debate about religious doctrine. They are muslims and they are killing.

From a broad point of view I think religion is pretty much past its prime anyway. I struggle to understand the relevance it has today, except for giving people spiritual strength, but there are other means to achieve that.

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #230
    CNN is so bad. Suspects still on the loose according to them :lol:
    I can confirm. :lol: It's like they're getting their news from French newspapers being delivered.
    Good job guyse :sergio:

- - - Updated - - -

Can't say I am surprised this happened and I don't think anyone else should either.
    I doubt many are surprised. Home growns returning from the war in syria or similar is the biggest terror threat in Europe and Murica

- - - Updated - - -

All the smart people on earth should just get together and prove religion is wrong.. Prove there are no gods.. 99% of the murders and wars wouldn't happen if religion stopped existing...

Too bad some people still need an imaginary friend in their lives and/or need to live by some god damn book
    Can we please not make this a question of whether or nor god exist? And this is coming from a atheist.

It's a lot more complicated and to simplify by the religion explanation we get nowhere.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    I mean muslim communities in European countries. You have mosques and leaders here too. They hardly, if ever, speak out against those attacks. If you read my post again I also never claimed that western countries are the primary targets. You have to understand, Fred, that the standard defense "these are not muslims" doesn't cut it. No one is interested in a debate about religious doctrine. They are muslims and they are killing.

From a broad point of view I think religion is pretty much past its prime anyway. I struggle to understand the relevance it has today, except for giving people spiritual strength, but there are other means to achieve that.
    Its not up to me or anyone else to say whether or not they're muslims, and I never and will never say they aren't muslims. I don't think they represent muslims though. I don't know much about muslim communities in western countries, I do however see religious leaders and imams making statements against those acts, I'm not sure if enough of them are, but I can assure you that most muslims are against these fanatical backward radicals.

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #232
    Its not up to me or anyone else to say whether or not they're muslims, and I never and will never say they aren't muslims. I don't think they represent muslims though. I don't know much about muslim communities in western countries, I do however see religious leaders and imams making statements against those acts, I'm not sure if enough of them are, but I can assure you that most muslims are against these fanatical backward radicals.
    The Cop the attackers executed on the street (the horrible video there's on the interwebs) after they shot him down was 42 year old man, named Ahmed and a Muslim. Probably the average French muslim of which there are five million.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    The Cop the attackers executed on the street (the horrible video there's on the interwebs) after they shot him down was 42 year old man, named Ahmed and a Muslim. Probably the average French muslim of which there are five million.
    So how many catholic terrorist attacks have we had in the last ten years?

- - - Updated - - -

“Religion, a mediaeval form of unreason, when combined with modern weaponry becomes a real threat to our freedoms. This religious totalitarianism has caused a deadly mutation in the heart of Islam and we see the tragic consequences in Paris today. I stand with Charlie Hebdo, as we all must, to defend the art of satire, which has always been a force for liberty and against tyranny, dishonesty and stupidity. 'Respect for religion’ has become a code phrase meaning 'fear of religion.’ Religions, like all other ideas, deserve criticism, satire, and, yes, our fearless disrespect.” –Salman Rushdie

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #234
    I refuse to engage in a discussion where arguments liek these are used.

You will never see me deny the problem with soem islamic communities in Europe. But neither will you see me jumping on any Muslim community.

Oh and btw. the terrorattack that has affected me the most in my lief (from a emotional viewpoint) was committed by a white chirstian blond man, with whom I should have more in common with that any Muslim according to the right wing.

Religion isn't the problem. The lack of education, social mobility, old fashion culture (add here the conservative interpretation of islam) and the identity crisis that many especially young men face when growing up in the West with cultural and conservative parents from north africa and the middle east.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I refuse to engage in a discussion where arguments liek these are used.
    Why? It's a rock solid argument. Name me one other broad organization (catholicism, freemasonry, whatever..) where it's 100% certain someone will be confronted with real and genuine death threats for drawing a cartoon about said organization. No. This is not about some nutter. It's a structural problem. And a structural problem with Islam. Unless you face that, you can't do anything about it.

I dare you. ONE other organization.

And don't tell me it's lack of education. If anything, it's a form of education that got them to do it.

enzo

May 14, 2012

In Austria they have reacted immediately and condemned the attacks. But this is also a media thing. If a newspaper wants to support a witch hunt, then they better not print/publish or report it.

- - - Updated - - -

So what does this mean? What would be the adequate reactions or next steps? Deport all muslims?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    So what does this mean? What would be the adequate reactions or next steps? Deport all muslims?
    Of course not. I am pointing out that, in fact, it is a problem with Islam. We always try to say it's not, but it's blatantly obvious that it is.

Juventino[RUS]

Mar 9, 2006
    "They condemned the attacks" all I hear is this crap but people still dying, maybe they should try something new, not condemnation?oh, wait a second, they can't act against fundamental things of Islam

enzo

May 14, 2012
    Of course not. I am pointing out that, in fact, it is a problem with Islam. We always try to say it's not, but it's blatantly obvious that it is.
    Well, in this case it is a problem with Islam. I would say, in general, its a problem with radical fundamentalists.

- - - Updated - - -

Juventino[RUS];4781979 said:
    "They condemned the attacks" all I hear is this crap but people still dying, maybe they should try something new, not condemnation?oh, wait a second, they can't act against fundamental things of Islam
    What would be an appropriate act? How should they act?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)