Champions League QUALIFICATIONS (1 Viewer)

OP
Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #61
    Not the result you wanted Fliakis but here's the match report anyway

Celtic ease past Kaunas

FBK Kaunas 0-4 Celtic
    A history-making opening goal from Henrik Larsson set Celtic on their way to a comfortable win in Lithuania.

The Swedish striker equalled the British record of 30 goals in European competition held by Peter Lorimer and Ian Rush as Celtic built up a comfortable lead in their Champions League qualifying tie.

Celtic, sporting a new black away kit, made light of Lithuanian champions FBK Kaunas as further goals from Chris Sutton, Shaun Maloney and Liam Miller ensured that the second leg in Glasgow will be a mere formality.

But the night was not without its problems for Celtic after Larsson limped off with 12 minutes remaining with what looked like a hamstring injury.

Celtic boss Martin O'Neill had defied some predictions by giving a vote of confidence to goalkeeper Rab Douglas.

The Scotland international's first-team spot had appeared to be under threat from Swede Magnus Hedman now that both are free from injury problems that plagued them last season.

Celtic were little changed from the side that lost the Uefa Cup final only nine weeks earlier, Stanislav Varga replacing the suspended Bobo Balde.

The atmosphere was in stark contrast to that famous night in Seville, only 1000 being scattered around a little stadium that played host to a ghostly atmosphere.

Kaunas are a team in mourning following the death of last season's top scorer, Audrius Slekys, at the weekend.

Slekys, who scored 19 goals last term, was killed in a car crash and was honoured by a minute's silence.

Neil Lennon had already had an effort kicked off the line by the time Celtic opened the scoring after only 13 minutes.

Varga headed the ball into the path of Larsson, who drove it high into the net from 12 yards.

Kaunas briefly threatened following a slack pass by Lennon, but Varga was on hand to clear a dangerous low cross by Barevicius from in front of his own goal.

Sutton, who had earlier struck the side-netting and forced Gytis Padimanskas into a good save, made no mistake after 29 minutes, when the goalkeeper fumbled a cross.

Celtic were rarely threatened at the back in Lithuania
    Petrov headed the ball into the path of Sutton, who turned quickly to drive home from 14 yards off the despairing knee of a defender on the goal-line.

O'Neill showed he was determined to push for further goals by bringing on young Shaun Maloney for veteran midfielder Neil Lennon at half-time.

The Scotland Under-21 striker made an immediate impact, grabbing Celtic's third goal after 53 minutes.

Larsson played a low ball into the path of Maloney, who neatly slipped the ball past the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net.

Celtic introduced Jamie Smith and Liam Miller for Alan Thompson and Sutton to give the young players some European experience.

But they had to see out the latter stages of the tie with 10 men after Larsson's withdrawal.

That did not prevent Celtic increasing their lead with four minutes remaining, when Maloney set up Miller for a simple tap-in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FBK Kaunas: Padimanskas, Gvildys, Kancelskis, Petrenka, Regelskis, Papeckys, Gedgaudas, Sirmelis, Zelmikas, Beniusis, Barevicius.
    Subs: Stonys, Sanajevas, Pastva, Opic, Puotkalis, Kunevicius, Karalius.

Celtic: Douglas, Agathe, Valgaeren, Mjallby, Varga, Petrov, Lennon, Lambert, Thompson, Larsson, Sutton.
    Subs: Hedman, Sylla, McNamara, Maloney, Smith, Crainey, Miller.

Referee: Paulo Cesar Da Silva (Portugal).

Buy on AliExpress.com
    OP
    Roverbhoy

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
  • Thread Starter #62
    Tonights results:-

Second qualifying round - First leg
    30/07/2003
    Leotar 1-2 Slavia
    Tirana 1-5 GAK
    Wisla 5-2 Omonia
    Bohemians 0-1 Rosenborg
    CSKA 1-2 Vardar
    Sheriff 0-0 Shakhtar
    MTK 3-1 HJK
    FCK 4-1 Sliema
    Partizan 1-1 Djurgården
    Zilina 1-0 M. Tel-Aviv
    Maribor 1-1 Dinamo
    Rapid 0-0 Anderlecht
    Pyunik 0-2 CSKA
    Kaunas 0-4 Celtic

Sep 28, 2002
    no, probably what i've expected. death of slekys really depressed team. so i didn't expect anything more. besides they lost the match before it began in their minds.

at least we played first leg at home and that 1000 :)stress:) people seen celtic first team, not reserves like last year.

and i didn't want celtic to lose, i want to see them in cl more that kaunas in losing in third round.

oh, cheers, beat that helsinki ass or whoever you play next

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
    :D i know

you did not lost pretty much though :) both teams were about the same skill, even if i'd say that anderlecht was better in the second part of the match. anyway, rapid (my darlings) seem to have made an excellent choice of goalie, that ibrahim dossey is really good when he wants :D

i'll see the second leg too ;)

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
    Rapid Bukarest won the Romanian Supercup and their first choice goalie ( a great one) returned. I am very :excited: and I can't wait to see the second leg on Wednesday ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    www.footballasia.com
    Seol fires winner in UEFA Champions League

Belgium - KOREAN international striker Seol Ki-hyeon scored the decisive winner for Anderlecht in a 3-2 second-leg UEFA Champions League third round qualifying encounter against Romanian side Rapid Bucuresti.

The victory for Anderlecht will come especially sweet for the Belgian club giants, unfortunate to finish the first-leg match 0-0 in Romania, had recovered twice during the match to steal the Seol winner.

Robert Ilyes and Florin Bratu scored in the 40th and 45th minute respectively to send Rapid into a commanding 2-0 away lead, an advantage that was looking good enough to last for the remaining 45 minutes.

However, Nenad Jestrovic's 50th minute header gave Anderlecht a glimmer of hope in the contest, Par Zetterberg scoring two minutes later to level the game for the hosts.

A 2-2 draw would have sent Rapid through on away goals but thanks to a header by Seol in the 75th minute, Anderlecht will now meet Polish champions Wisla, conquerors over Cypriot side Omonia 7-4 on aggregate, in the last round before the group stages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:D :thumb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)