Champions League 2023-24 (6 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Real Madrid aren't scared to say they’re favorites for titles. 2nd leg of a UCL semifinal against Bayern and they have “a por la 15” (All out for number 15) shirts ready to go. This is winning mentality. For them, they believe it is their destiny to win the Champions League. None of this cuck mentality bullshit. I hope our manglement team were watching.
True but they play more freely because they've already won it so many times. They have pressure to win but it's not desperation. For us it will be a huge albatross around our necks until we finally win a 3rd.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
So how many refereeing errors will there be for Real's favor in the final?
Somehow, I don't feel bad for Bayern. Being robbed of Morata's goal still pisses me off.

As far as RM are concerned, I have mixed feelings: I'm sure RM pisses Ceferin off. So that's a positive. Also happy for Ancelotti, Kroos and Modric.
But still pissed about Buffon's red card and RM's offside goal against us in the 1998 final.

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
So how many refereeing errors will there be for Real's favor in the final?
They probably won’t be needing any help for this particular one, but rest assured that at least one controversial decision will go in their favor if it gets to it, just about sufficient to ensure it takes them over the line ofc.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
The funny thing is, before they won La Decima, that Real squad had a reputation for choking in big moments.
True, and yet ironicall they still had more CL titles then than any other club at that point as well. Paradoxically, it was Juventus who allowed them to regain or recapture that indomitable spirit in 98 (after a 32 year hiatus), as they went on to win the title in 2000 and 2002. Obviously they had some lean years (12 to be exact) before winning La Decima, which enabled/allowed them to embark on another successful run (2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2022).

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
By the time Carvajal retires, I think he'll be the player with most CL titles.

If Madrid win this year's CL, Carvajal and Modric will be tied with Gento with 6 CL titles to their name

Given Carvajal is still only 32, surely he'll get another crack at possibly winning a 7th CL title which will be an all-time record.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
True, and yet ironicall they still had more CL titles then than any other club at that point as well.
That was mostly because they got in early doors with this tournament and won 5 in a row in the 50s. By the mid 60s they had 6 of the 9 they had until 2014. In typical Juve style, of course, we had a great domestic team but I don't think we really bought into the importance of the EC - I remember reading this in John Charles' autobiography where the scudetto was all-important and the Coppa was also more important. Remember this is a time where there were other random continental tournaments that never really took root (we played in the Coppa delle Alpi, Coppa dell'Amicizia for example). Madrid understood what the EC would become and probably enhanced its reputation for their own ends. Some federations didn't release teams to play in early editions, other teams didn't bother turning up. That changed after a few editions though.

In the late 50s we ended up with heavy early exits to football luminaries such as Wiener Sport and CND Sofia. Our best chance in those days was when the Juve of Sivori-Charles-Boniperti ended up losing the QF playoff to the Madrid team of Gento-Puskas-Di Stefano after both teams shared a 1-0 win. I remember John Charles saying this was a big regret as by then they really thought it was a tournament they could win. Then Madrid lost the final to Eusebio's Benfica. Just shows that the timing is often not right for us. With the exception of the mid-late 90s when we were clearly the dominant club team and messed up two finals, and Hamburg in 1983, we've been quite unlucky to have strong teams that coincided with several other great teams.

Last edited:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
There are a lot of if, buts and maybes, the fact remains that no one ever had more CLs than Real and looks like none ever will. No one will even come close even if they never win it again for the next 70 years. Kinda depressing.

My hope was that the Super League would launch and everything could start from zero but no luck there either.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
There are a lot of if, buts and maybes, the fact remains that no one ever had more CLs than Real and looks like none ever will. No one will even come close even if they never win it again for the next 70 years. Kinda depressing.

My hope was that the Super League would launch and everything could start from zero but no luck there either.
Real Madrid's prestige is built around those CL titles. With or without Super league, their CL track record can never be erased or reset.

My biggest disappointment is how never got to capitalize on our dominance in the 90s to European success in the years to follow.

Then Calciopoli happened and we never truly recovered to the level we expected to.

90s/early 00s JJ was a totally different vibe. I don't really see us being at that level both on a sporting and financial level ever again unless we are state owned or something like City and PSG.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)