Champions League 2020-21 #CeferinOut (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
The three Italian lads all playing well for PSG

Good signs for Italy this summer. Genuine dark horses to win it imo.
The term dark horse has lost its meaning when a team that won 10/10 qualifiers with a +33 g/d, has fantastic depth in each position and Mancini as its coach is considered one. Norway is a dark horse, Italy has the expectation to end up in at least the semis and has the abilities to beat anyone.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
The term dark horse has lost its meaning when a team that won 10/10 qualifiers with a +33 g/d, has fantastic depth in each position and Mancini as its coach is considered one. Norway is a dark horse, Italy has the expectation to end up in at least the semis and has the abilities to beat anyone.
Wrong. England constantly wins every qualification game and generally tops their qualification groups and aren’t rated as favourites for most tournaments.

A dark horse is a team who could do well that most don’t expect to. A team who aren’t considered a pure favourite to go all the way, but have enough talent to go far and with a bit of luck, perhaps even win. Current Italy easily fits that bill. They aren’t considered a (current) contender like Germany, France, Portugal and Spain.

Norway isn’t a dark horse. They would be considered a rank outsider. And they didn’t even qualify for this tournament.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Wrong. England constantly wins every qualification game and generally tops their qualification groups and aren’t rated as favourites for most tournaments.

A dark horse is a team who could do well that most don’t expect to. A team who aren’t considered a pure favourite to go all the way, but have enough talent to go far and with a bit of luck, perhaps even win. Current Italy easily fits that bill. They aren’t considered a (current) contender like Germany, France, Portugal and Spain.

Norway isn’t a dark horse. They would be considered a rank outsider. And they didn’t even qualify for this tournament.
Lmao I forgot Norway didn't make it.

I don't think any team crushed their qualifiers more empathically than Italy other than maybe Belgium, who is also a very confident team. In terms of depth, balance and confident playing style, I consider Italy within the very best. In terms of pure talent France, Germany and maybe Spain outrank Italy, but in terms of team dynamics and tactical approach I think Italy, Belgium and Portugal play the best football. We also have to remember that one of Portugal, France and Germany will already be out before the knockouts. I don't think anyone would really be surprised to see any of these teams in the final, so I'd be hard pressed to call any of these teams as dark horses. But I guess that's down to how you view the term I suppose.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Porto are as mighty as Ajax and Lyon, until we get past them I'd keep quiet.
Safe approach considering how we did against these teams recently.

On paper we should go through with ease but we know its not going to be simple. Nothing is simple with this Juve...
The Ajax defeat was actually one that I could accept. Ajax played amazing.
Lyon - I know they also got past City but this is a team we should tear apart. We just blew it (even if the ref had a hand in it with awarding them their away goal).

P.S can someone explain how was that Barca penalty a foul? I saw nothing.

Jun 7, 2003
Safe approach considering how we did against these teams recently.

On paper we should go through with ease but we know its not going to be simple. Nothing is simple with this Juve...
The Ajax defeat was actually one that I could accept. Ajax played amazing.
Lyon - I know they also got past City but this is a team we should tear apart. We just blew it (even if the ref had a hand in it with awarding them their away goal).

P.S can someone explain how was that Barca penalty a foul? I saw nothing.
Kurzawa had a contact with his knee before De Jong fell on his feet

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Nah, going out at the same stage as Barcelona means nothing, going further than them would be bragging rights.
No, no one gives a shit what you do vs other teams when you've won the head-to-head.

We get to mock Barça this season even if we lose to Porto 10-0 (unless Barça ends up winning the whole tournament obviously).

Cant believe I have to explain this, this is kids stuff :D

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
@Orgut
Precisely, I'm not someone who believes in jinxing but in the CL you cannot afford any complacency especially in the knockouts. Ajax outplayed us yes but it was clear that they had a much greater desire than us and sometimes that's all it takes. I remember when Spurs knocked them out, it was pure determination to go and win it more than tactics so nobody would ever predict Ajax and Spurs in the semis. Furthermore, the nature of the tournament is that away goals change the whole dynamics of the tie, as much as holding on to a lead and parking the bus for the second leg. Last night Barca were shocking defensively and it was naïve for for them to leave huge gaps, poor tactics against quality attackers and now it looks impossible for Barca to progress.

@Elvin
Bro, you go into a bar after Porto knock us out and share a drink with the Barca fan. You say Juve beat Barca and topped the group and he says you got KO'd by a second tier team. You both argue that you have the GOAT but then the reality kicks in that both of you are out, neither are top of their leagues, you both have Bernardeschi level players and so on. The only thing to be happy about is that the Inter fan got thrown out of the bar. Anyway, since you got the pitbull avatar there, I ain't arguing.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

Italy is as much a contender as Germany, Portugal and Spain are. The frogs obviously are the favorites to win it, but after them it's pretty even, neither of Italy/Germany/Spain/Belgium/England/Netherlands/Portugal/Croatia would surprise anyone if they ended up in Top4. However, anyone but France winning this would surprise me, other teams have clear weaknesses compared to them.

Last edited:

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Which team was the most dominant/impressive for you in the past decade in the CL? It can be both as in a single season and for a duration of time

Personally I have probably have to go with Pep's Barca in 10-11, mostly because how they took United apart in that final. I didn't like their tiki taka style of football, but their dominance was still something you gotta give credit for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)