Champions League 2019/20 (61 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
Talking of Legs...

Lyon coach Rudi Garcia credited their ‘Italian fitness coach’ Paolo Rongoni for victories over Juventus and Manchester City in the Champions League.
The pair met when Garcia was in charge of Roma in 2014-15, following him to Olympique Marseille from 2016-19 and then Lyon in October last year.
Olympique Lyonnais are the shock Champions League semi-finalists after beating Juve and Manchester City, but Garcia tipped his hat to Rongoni during his post-match interview with Sky Sport Italia.

“I was not worried about running out of steam, because we have an Italian fitness coach and I knew we’d hold out brilliantly.”
Sky later spoke to Rongoni himself to ask about the post-lockdown training regime.
“Everything was new after the coronavirus, as we hadn’t restarted the Ligue 1 season, so we had to adapt. I heard from a few colleagues in Italy and other countries to figure out what was happening.
“It was a little frightening before resuming, because there were injuries all over the place. In Germany and Italy in particular, thigh and calf strains were popping constantly.
“So we totally transformed our fitness work and it’s something we might try again in future. As Rudi said, we split eight weeks of training into two blocks. In the first, we worked hard physically, in the second we just played football.
“I also thank the assistant manager Claude Fichaux, who structured the technical exercises on the same rhythm as the fitness work. That’s where we made the difference.”
Considering only French and German teams are in the Champions League semi-finals, did finishing the season earlier and allowing more rest help them?
“I don’t know. My main concern was getting the players ready for the games with some minutes in their legs, because doing weights or sprints in training is not the same thing,” continued the Lyon staff member.
“Football is all about sprinting, braking, accelerating and slowing suddenly. I thought we’d have problems in the final 15-20 minutes, but for now that hasn’t happened yet. We’re keeping our fingers crossed.
“The players worked really well during the lockdown, resuming with a hunger, tenacity and professionalism that this group didn’t have before"

Source:FI
Rudi Garcia, the jerk, crowing as if they deservedly knocked us out. Penalty not given to us in the first leg and an illegitimate one given against us in the 2nd leg.

Alex-444

Sep 5, 2005
I've been looking at some stats and I noticed that outrunning your opponent is almost a guarantee to proceed to the next round.
These are the knockouts this year in CL:

Atletico-Liverpool 264 km : 255 km (They played extra time, which explains the bigger numbers compared to the other knockouts)
Bayern-Chelsea 224 km : 217 km
Leipzig-Tottenham 222 km : 213 km
Lyon-Juventus 231 km : 220 km
PSG-Dortmund 213 km : 218 km
Atalanta-Valencia 220 km : 213 km
Manchester City - Real Madrid 225 km : 215 km
Barcelona-Napoli 206 km : 222 km

Bayern-Barcelona 107 km : 98 km
Leipzig-Atletico 115 km : 115 km
Lyon-Manchester City 115 km : 106 km
PSG-Atalanta 105 km : 108 km

The only ones who managed to proceed to the next round by running less are PSG against Atalanta and Dortmund, and Barca against Napoli.

How does this set up for the semifinals?
Leipzig run the most on average in 90 minutes than all the other 15 teams which played the knock-outs. They run 114.8 km per match. PSG run only 105.3 km per match, which is second worst, only ahead of Barcelona. But PSG already beat teams that run more, so can they do it again, or the 10 or so kilometers the Leipzig players run more than the PSG players will be decisive?
Lyon was winning by running more. They ran 9 km more than City yesterday, and they outran us too. But Bayern are also runners. They run 112.7 km on average (which is 4th best in CL) and only slightly less than Lyon (who are third in CL) with 113.1 km per match. This time, unlike their matches with Juve and City, Lyon will face another team that runs just as much as they do.
we need all the pills that people drink in bavaria, you can't run like that without pills

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Talking of Legs...

Lyon coach Rudi Garcia credited their ‘Italian fitness coach’ Paolo Rongoni for victories over Juventus and Manchester City in the Champions League.
The pair met when Garcia was in charge of Roma in 2014-15, following him to Olympique Marseille from 2016-19 and then Lyon in October last year.
Olympique Lyonnais are the shock Champions League semi-finalists after beating Juve and Manchester City, but Garcia tipped his hat to Rongoni during his post-match interview with Sky Sport Italia.

“I was not worried about running out of steam, because we have an Italian fitness coach and I knew we’d hold out brilliantly.”
Sky later spoke to Rongoni himself to ask about the post-lockdown training regime.
“Everything was new after the coronavirus, as we hadn’t restarted the Ligue 1 season, so we had to adapt. I heard from a few colleagues in Italy and other countries to figure out what was happening.
“It was a little frightening before resuming, because there were injuries all over the place. In Germany and Italy in particular, thigh and calf strains were popping constantly.
“So we totally transformed our fitness work and it’s something we might try again in future. As Rudi said, we split eight weeks of training into two blocks. In the first, we worked hard physically, in the second we just played football.
“I also thank the assistant manager Claude Fichaux, who structured the technical exercises on the same rhythm as the fitness work. That’s where we made the difference.”
Considering only French and German teams are in the Champions League semi-finals, did finishing the season earlier and allowing more rest help them?
“I don’t know. My main concern was getting the players ready for the games with some minutes in their legs, because doing weights or sprints in training is not the same thing,” continued the Lyon staff member.
“Football is all about sprinting, braking, accelerating and slowing suddenly. I thought we’d have problems in the final 15-20 minutes, but for now that hasn’t happened yet. We’re keeping our fingers crossed.
“The players worked really well during the lockdown, resuming with a hunger, tenacity and professionalism that this group didn’t have before"

Doesn't matter. Give me 10 Messi's instead.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
As much as we all agree Pep has failed time and time again If Sterling hadn’t missed that unbelievable sitter I really doubt Lyon would have made it.
Or maybe Lyon would have scored either ways. It wasn't like City were dominating the game and creating chances left, right and centre.

May 26, 2016
I've been looking at some stats and I noticed that outrunning your opponent is almost a guarantee to proceed to the next round.
These are the knockouts this year in CL:

Atletico-Liverpool 264 km : 255 km (They played extra time, which explains the bigger numbers compared to the other knockouts)
Bayern-Chelsea 224 km : 217 km
Leipzig-Tottenham 222 km : 213 km
Lyon-Juventus 231 km : 220 km
PSG-Dortmund 213 km : 218 km
Atalanta-Valencia 220 km : 213 km
Manchester City - Real Madrid 225 km : 215 km
Barcelona-Napoli 206 km : 222 km

Bayern-Barcelona 107 km : 98 km
Leipzig-Atletico 115 km : 115 km
Lyon-Manchester City 115 km : 106 km
PSG-Atalanta 105 km : 108 km

The only ones who managed to proceed to the next round by running less are PSG against Atalanta and Dortmund, and Barca against Napoli.

How does this set up for the semifinals?
Leipzig run the most on average in 90 minutes than all the other 15 teams which played the knock-outs. They run 114.8 km per match. PSG run only 105.3 km per match, which is second worst, only ahead of Barcelona. But PSG already beat teams that run more, so can they do it again, or the 10 or so kilometers the Leipzig players run more than the PSG players will be decisive?
Lyon was winning by running more. They ran 9 km more than City yesterday, and they outran us too. But Bayern are also runners. They run 112.7 km on average (which is 4th best in CL) and only slightly less than Lyon (who are third in CL) with 113.1 km per match. This time, unlike their matches with Juve and City, Lyon will face another team that runs just as much as they do.
Love these, please keep em coming

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Talking of Legs...

Actually very classy of him to give a public shoutout to his backroom staff by name. I cant recall other coaches doing that. I am sure they will appreciate the recognition too.

- - - Updated - - -

As much as we all agree Pep has failed time and time again If Sterling hadn’t missed that unbelievable sitter I really doubt Lyon would have made it.
City's loss was down to a mental problem and some good fortune for Lyon. They created a ton of chances but failed in the final ball or the finish probably out of feeling the pressure. They bottled it. City doesnt have to change much they just need to overcome the mental barrier of the CL knockout stages.

For us we were just playing horribly. We were not afraid of lyon.. this is not our CL final choking syndrome, Juve was just weak and disjoined. We saw that every game since the return of football. We were not going to reach any finals to choke in because we were just shit

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
[QUOTE="Hist, post: 6190560, member: ]

City's loss was down to a mental problem and some good fortune for Lyon. They created a ton of chances but failed in the final ball or the finish probably out of feeling the pressure. They bottled it. City doesnt have to change much they just need to overcome the mental barrier of the CL knockout stages.

For us we were just playing horribly. We were not afraid of lyon.. this is not our CL final choking syndrome, Juve was just weak and disjoined. We saw that every game since the return of football. We were not going to reach any finals to choke in because we were just shit[/QUOTE]

Funny how we actually won and City on the other hand lost.

Jun 7, 2003
So what's up, nobody is talking about the game today?

Neymar played a good game against Atalanta and it's nice to see how fast Mbappe moves. From Leizpzig this Upamecano guy is interesting. All things considered i would say Tuchel will have the upperhand over Nagelsmann. Alltough Nagelsmann has a sick formation plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 60)