Status
Not open for further replies.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Lots of klopp and pool played "poorly" comments.

1-0 up in a final and against a team that usually likes to play with a high line with you having a good counterattacking team.

It wasn't poor but the right tactic.

Klopp learned from his experience from previous final and took a page out of zidane's book. Having a much better gk helped.
Liverpool did play poorly. Even the most ardent fan would say that. Their one tactic was to go long but it rarely worked and the majority of the time it just led to them giving the ball back to Spurs. They let Spurs have a lot of room down both flanks and for their midfielders to get space in and around the box. I also lost count of the number of times they couldn't maintain possession when they tried and passed out of the pitch. A better team would have taken advantage of that.

Whether that was Klopp's tactic or the players not being able to play his gameplan who knows. Probably more on the players or a combination of both. I agree that there is nothing wrong with a counterattacking display, especially when you have their front 3. The penalty in the first minute will undoubtably have changed their approach whether intentionally or not. Liverpool did what they needed to and got the win. It's hard to argue when a team gets the result they need, but I think it is a stretch to argue that they didn't play poorly.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Liverpool did play poorly. Even the most ardent fan would say that. Their one tactic was to go long but it rarely worked and the majority of the time it just led to them giving the ball back to Spurs. They let Spurs have a lot of room down both flanks and for their midfielders to get space in and around the box. I also lost count of the number of times they couldn't maintain possession when they tried and passed out of the pitch. A better team would have taken advantage of that.

Whether that was Klopp's tactic or the players not being able to play his gameplan who knows. Probably more on the players or a combination of both. I agree that there is nothing wrong with a counterattacking display, especially when you have their front 3. The penalty in the first minute will undoubtably have changed their approach whether intentionally or not. Liverpool did what they needed to and got the win. It's hard to argue when a team gets the result they need, but I think it is a stretch to argue that they didn't play poorly.
It wasn't aesthetically pleasing but pretty sure that's mostly what they wanted and focused on defending. Not poor in terms of they executed most of what they needed to.

Ref MotM, killed the game in first minute.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
I don't know how it can be handball when the ball hit his body first and then rebounded onto the arm, the only way for the ball not to touch his arm in that situation was if he had no arm to begin with. I would totally understand calling a penalty if it hit his outstretched arm first but the fact it hit him in the body and then deflected onto the arm can not be avoided by the player at all

Also Klopp is a genius for winning the CL with that team, so many average players in that team that wouldn't make it into other teams really says it all about Klopp as well as pushing Man City all the way in the league

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
I don't know how it can be handball when the ball hit his body first and then rebounded onto the arm, the only way for the ball not to touch his arm in that situation was if he had no arm to begin with. I would totally understand calling a penalty if it hit his outstretched arm first but the fact it hit him in the body and then deflected onto the arm can not be avoided by the player at all

Also Klopp is a genius for winning the CL with that team, so many average players in that team that wouldn't make it into other teams really says it all about Klopp as well as pushing Man City all the way in the league
Yeah, don't think quality wise there is a big diff between the teams on paper. Mainly better gk and depth for pool.

May 23, 2013
I think Max would do very well if he went to Man Utd. They have the funds to help him build his own team. As critical as I’ve been of Allegri recently, you can’t deny that he was absolutely fucked by our midfield downgrades. Give Max a few years at Man Utd, and with the right investment he would be competing with Pep and Klopp for the biggest trophies.

At Arsenal he would fail, not because of his coaching ability, but because Arsenal is a fucked club from top to bottom.
He got f'd by midfield downgrades; however, he also f'd himself via his favoritism towards certain donkeys (Khedira) or stupid decision (Pjanic at regista).

But no doubt he can do great things in England, Germany or Spain; however, he'll have to get his head out his ass and be the Allegri of the first three seasons.....

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

When the player's arm is that high and away from his body it doesn't matter anymore how the ball hits it. Clear pk. Sissoko was an idiot.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
When the player's arm is that high and away from his body it doesn't matter anymore how the ball hits it. Clear pk. Sissoko was an idiot.
If his arm was down by his side it would have directly hit his arm, in this situation he avoids it hitting his arm by having the arm up that way and it does not hit the arm until after it hits the body

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
If his arm was down by his side it would have directly hit his arm, in this situation he avoids it hitting his arm by having the arm up that way and it does not hit the arm until after it hits the body
If it directly hits his arm when it's down it's no pk. The hand has to be in natural position at all times. Sissoko's wasn't.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
If it directly hits his arm when it's down it's no pk. The hand has to be in natural position at all times. Sissoko's wasn't.
It doesn't hit his arm from the shot with his arms up, he has no control of the deflection which then rebounds to the arm there is no way it can be deliberate if that's the case

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Hit his chest first. Ricochet hand balls are almost never called as penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Pots for next season (ESPN);

The teams in Pot 1 are now confirmed, while provisional pots can be drawn up for the others (though the teams in bold are guaranteed to be in that pot) based on the highest-ranked clubs progressing through qualifying.

POT 1: Liverpool, Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester City, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain, Zenit St Petersburg

POT 2 (provisional): Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, FC Porto*, Tottenham Hotspur, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli, Shakhtar Donetsk, Ajax*

POT 3 (provisional): Benfica, Dynamo Kiev*, Lyon, Bayer Leverkusen, FC Salzburg, Valencia, Inter Milan, Celtic*

POT 4 (provisional): FC Copenhagen*, Dinamo Zagreb*, Lokomotiv Moscow, Genk, Galatasaray, RB Leipzig, Atalanta, Lille

*denotes must go through qualifying

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2015
I think they've given penalties for handballs a bit easier this season. I've certainly seen some given in Serie A that were much softer. I personally don't think that it's completely wrong to give that as a penalty, but I can also understand why some feel it's harsh.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I think they've given penalties for handballs a bit easier this season. I've certainly seen some given in Serie A that were much softer. I personally don't think that it's completely wrong to give that as a penalty, but I can also understand why some feel it's harsh.
That's true. with VAR you can see everything now, so ref has no excuse. But I've rarely seen a ricochet is called a penalty. That Alex Sandro hand ball against Napoli is the only one I remember where you could see his shirt ripple, and even that was a bad call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)