Champions League 2017/2018 (10 Viewers)

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Of course you don't :D

I'm talking about the average football fan who doesn't follow Juve that closely to be aware of our team changes.

I mean 2 finals in 3 years... and many great performances against top teams. This year, came from behind to beat Tottenham in England. Top of the league again, and undefeated in 2018... we should be rated higher than City at least.
An average football fan would see us in the same boat as Atletico Madrid. Its the 'defensive Vs attacking' philosophy discussion which is going on here since the past weeks. Man City play attacking football, spend millions on stacking up their squad with top players and now that they're dominating the league and the most popular one at that, people believe they'd have better chances although to win a competition like CL, you need experience and City dont have that as of yet. Its for identical reasons that PSG were considered a CL favorite at the start of this season.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
An average football fan would see us in the same boat as Atletico Madrid. Its the 'defensive Vs attacking' philosophy discussion which is going on here since the past weeks. Man City play attacking football, spend millions on stacking up their squad with top players and now that they're dominating the league and the most popular one at that, people believe they'd have better chances although to win a competition like CL, you need experience and City dont have that as of yet. Its for identical reasons that PSG were considered a CL favorite before this season.
True, it's about the attacking style. PSG is a good example - people actually considered them a CL favourite lol. And Napoli received a lot of attention from outsiders this season, unlike us.

Anyway, we're not much weaker than last season, if at all. Benatia has replaced Bonucci well; we hardly even notice the difference. D. Alves is the big loss because now the RB position is our weakest link. But we're stronger in midfield now with Matuidi. It would have been a big difference having him in the final last year.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
True, it's about the attacking style. PSG is a good example - people actually considered them a CL favourite lol. And Napoli received a lot of attention from outsiders this season, unlike us.

Anyway, we're not much weaker than last season, if at all. Benatia has replaced Bonucci well; we hardly even notice the difference. D. Alves is the big loss because now the RB position is our weakest link. But we're stronger in midfield now with Matuidi. It would have been a big difference having him in the final last year.
I'd say we are slightly stronger in midfield because as it stands, its still a huge problem area for us with Khedira being one of the weak links in the starting eleven.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Why is that after the last 3 years, Juve is still seen an outsider to the big 3 of Barca, Real and Bayern? Most people even give City a better chance than us.

It can't be the finals losses cuz Bayern didn't even make the final in the last 3 years.
For the same reason why Atletico was never considered top tier despite also making 2 finals in 3 years.

It's our style of play. We don't dominate teams like Barca, Real, Bayern and recently City do.

The second reason is that we sell our best players.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Why is that after the last 3 years, Juve is still seen an outsider to the big 3 of Barca, Real and Bayern? Most people even give City a better chance than us.

It can't be the finals losses cuz Bayern didn't even make the final in the last 3 years.
Because we don't dominate games the way the other three do

Niku

Jan 14, 2014

I'm talking about the average football fan who doesn't follow Juve that closely to analyse our team changes.

I mean 2 finals in 3 years... and many great performances against top teams. This year, came from behind to beat Tottenham in England. Top of the league again, and undefeated in 2018... we should be rated higher than City at least.
That is because we dont destroy, abuse opponents while playing a somewhat degree of enjoyable football.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I'd say we are slightly stronger in midfield because as it stands, its still a huge problem area for us with Khedira being one of the weak links in the starting eleven.
Yep, it's still a weakness. But Max recognises that, which is we play around our midfield and not much through it
For the same reason why Atletico was never considered top tier despite also making 2 finals in 3 years.

It's our style of play. We don't dominate teams like Barca, Real, Bayern and recently City do.

We didn't sell our best players this last summer though, and we actually did strengthen in other departments, not like Atletico.

You may be right about the style of play, but it's stupid for people to think that way.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

It's not the style of play, one can dominate game in multiple ways. Real Madrid are a counter attacking team for instance. We dominate our Serie A games, yet we're a defensive team, we'd only need to dominate CL the same way

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Also our cycle is coming to an end and we are about to start a new one. Old ageing backline with a GK set to retire after this season and one who has regressed with age. I mean if all were in their prime, perhaps we would be rated differently.

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
I honestly fear for our midfield, especially Khedira.

He looked horribly out of his depth in the final last year, and he has only declined a lot more this season.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Liverpool - City is gonna be good.

Two stubborn, tactical morons against each other, one more suicidal than the other :touched:

Maybe Pep finally learned his lesson before these matches? I doubt.
Pep's plan A (obviously his only plan) is superior to Klopp's. Over two legs it'll take a minor miracle for Liverpool to progress.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005

I'm talking about the average football fan who doesn't follow Juve that closely to analyse our team changes.

Man city are miles ahead of others in epl and play good football. They have a manager who has won CL couple of times. Compared to Allegri.

Of course there is lot of media brainwash taking place.

Some say City are favorites to win CL.

Bayern, Barca are both ahead in my view especially after the result of draw.

I would love Pool to kick them out tbh. Would end these best talks. And from a traditional point semis with Bayern-Barca-Pool-Juve/Real has more historical depth.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
@Bianconero81

Can that 'thing' have another heroic moment against Madrid ?:baus:
If we have to rely on The Accidental Footballer during any point of this tie, we're in deep trouble.

I think Max can figure things out over two legs. We have enough depth in defense (Barza or Rugani) to compensate the loss of Benatia in the first match. Pjanic missing in midfield is indeed a huge loss, but he's been woeful lately. Khedira playing is a major concern though. I'd go 4-4-2 with De Sciglio and Costa on one flank, and Asamoah and Sandro marauding down the other one. A midfield duo of Marchisio and Matuidi with Dybala playing as an SS behind Higuain.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

Probably not unrelates to our style of play. We might be able to compete with these teams one on one but we dont tear through weaker opposition (at least not in europe) like they do.

These sides generally batter the besiktas, olympiakos, etc teams with ease while we occassionally struggleor evenger seeminlgy outplayed.

Not saying that makes them better than us but in the eyes of the casual fan they see bayern trash someone 6-0 in the group stage while we battle through and win a pen in the 90th minute to eek past some shitty greek team

Also probably publicity. The big fees these teams spend on famous names simply get far more coverage than our transfers even when we turn out to have gotten much better deal in the end

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)