Champions League 2016/2017 (133 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Sure. I’ve been following Monaco closely this season and I’ve been hugely impressed by their season. To be honest the only reason people are not being mentioned as one of the top sides in Europe this season is because of their name, because in terms of performances and results they have definitely been right up there.

First of all, I’m going to address the biggest misconception I see people having of them; that they are a gung ho offensive team. They really aren’t, at least not in the conventional use of the term. They rarely set up as a team that controls the game, keeps possession and attacks the opposition; they are primarily a counter attacking team, but their defensive tactics are that they press the opposition high up the pitch, and they are absolute masters at that, they completely dismantled teams like PSG, City, Marseille, and Nice that way. They thrive against attacking teams, and especially those who play a more possession based football. They struggle against teams when they are forced to take control of possession most of the time, and have break down teams who sit back and defend with numbers. They are also quite poor at defending set pieces, lost count of the number of times they concede via set pieces.

I think it will be very interesting game against Juve. On the one hand, Juve likes to build up from the back, and that is something Jardim will try to use to his favor, few teams in Europe are as good as Monaco are in organized pressing in the opposition’s half; at the same time, when teams are able to get past their high pressing and are able to take the ball to Monaco’s half, they struggle, because usually they press with high numbers upfront, consequently leaving a lot of space behind. PSG were able to get past their pressing game in the Coupe De La Ligue, and they absolutely destroyed them.

Monaco play a 4-4-2 system; B. Silva and Lemar are their wingers, and one of the most important players to their setup(along with Fabinho they have been Monaco’s best performers this season), they regularly cut inside and make the midfield very compact, this helps them reduce the space in the opposition half and reduces the possibility of them being counter attacked, because they can win the ball back so quickly. It also allows their fullbacks Mendy and Sidibe to bomb forward and play as wingbacks more or less, and keep attacking the space vacated by Lemar and B. Silva. They have two physically powerful midfielders in Bakayoko and Fabinho; the two are excellent at winning the ball back; Bakayoko is primarily a ball winning defensive midfielder, while Fabinho is a box to box midfielder, who has really been excellent for them this season; moving him from rightback to central midfield was a master move by Jardim. Falcao everybody knows of course, he’s a master poacher, and Mbappe has been an absolute revelation in the second half of the season; his confidence and maturity are out of this world for an 18 year old, and of course he’s one of the quickest players out there.

All in all Jardim has done an excellent job this season. His style of football isn’t overly sophisticated, but its extremely effective.

Should be a great game.
so what youre trying to say is, we have excellent chances to progress here

- - - Updated - - -

I would put them next to eachother.

Its interested how 2010 inter, 2013 bayern and 2017 juve followed a same pattern

Before newyear, meh. After newyear, inter got pandev and went 4231; heynckens got that 4231 ticking and it improved by each passing game, allegri switched to 4231 and became unstoppable

Each team started average, changed something after newyear, used a 4231 and significantly peaked near the end of the season
the key for Bayern was Kroos getting injured vs us. thats when they had to play Robben and roflstopmed the rest of the season

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Sure. I’ve been following Monaco closely this season and I’ve been hugely impressed by their season. To be honest the only reason people are not being mentioned as one of the top sides in Europe this season is because of their name, because in terms of performances and results they have definitely been right up there.

First of all, I’m going to address the biggest misconception I see people having of them; that they are a gung ho offensive team. They really aren’t, at least not in the conventional use of the term. They rarely set up as a team that controls the game, keeps possession and attacks the opposition; they are primarily a counter attacking team, but their defensive tactics are that they press the opposition high up the pitch, and they are absolute masters at that, they completely dismantled teams like PSG, City, Marseille, and Nice that way. They thrive against attacking teams, and especially those who play a more possession based football. They struggle against teams when they are forced to take control of possession most of the time, and have break down teams who sit back and defend with numbers. They are also quite poor at defending set pieces, lost count of the number of times they concede via set pieces.

I think it will be very interesting game against Juve. On the one hand, Juve likes to build up from the back, and that is something Jardim will try to use to his favor, few teams in Europe are as good as Monaco are in organized pressing in the opposition’s half; at the same time, when teams are able to get past their high pressing and are able to take the ball to Monaco’s half, they struggle, because usually they press with high numbers upfront, consequently leaving a lot of space behind. PSG were able to get past their pressing game in the Coupe De La Ligue, and they absolutely destroyed them.

Monaco play a 4-4-2 system; B. Silva and Lemar are their wingers, and one of the most important players to their setup(along with Fabinho they have been Monaco’s best performers this season), they regularly cut inside and make the midfield very compact, this helps them reduce the space in the opposition half and reduces the possibility of them being counter attacked, because they can win the ball back so quickly. It also allows their fullbacks Mendy and Sidibe to bomb forward and play as wingbacks more or less, and keep attacking the space vacated by Lemar and B. Silva. They have two physically powerful midfielders in Bakayoko and Fabinho; the two are excellent at winning the ball back; Bakayoko is primarily a ball winning defensive midfielder, while Fabinho is a box to box midfielder, who has really been excellent for them this season; moving him from rightback to central midfield was a master move by Jardim. Falcao everybody knows of course, he’s a master poacher, and Mbappe has been an absolute revelation in the second half of the season; his confidence and maturity are out of this world for an 18 year old, and of course he’s one of the quickest players out there.

All in all Jardim has done an excellent job this season. His style of football isn’t overly sophisticated, but its extremely effective.

Should be a great game.
They didn't dismantle City, Fred. Let's not exaggerate. They went through on away goals, 6-6 on aggregate. City is also a mediocre team, and has absolutely no defense, while playing a possession game that perfectly suits Monaco.

You're exaggerating how good they are. They had an easy group (as did we), and two easy opponents since the group stage. Coming out of the group with 11 points, and now 10 games in having conceded more than any team left in the competition and the worst goal differential. 21 goals for - 16 goals conceded.

We've scored 17 goals - conceded 2. 2 friggin' goals. The last time someone got this far in the CL with 2 goals conceded was your team in the year they so sadly got beat by Barca in the final. We have the best defense by a country mile, and an attack that's only scored a couple goals less than Monaco. +15 goal differential to +5 goal differential tells you all you need to know about how much better we are.

If we lose to them over the two legs it will be a colossal failure from Allegri and our team, as bad as Conte and that team losing to Benfica in 2014...

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Hello everyone, long time Juve fan since '94 and forum reader since '05. I am stoked at how well our team has performed this year. Onto the tie with Monaco, they must be the most overrated team right now, because they are nowhere as good against PSG on the games I've watched. Any decent strikeforce will thrive against City and Dortmund, but our fantastic back 4 will shut them up. On the other hand, our strikers will definitely thrive against their fragile backline. My $0.02 :)
holy shit man :lol:

Jul 1, 2010
They also beat a Dortmund team that has been completely shaken by the bombing incident. I don't think they would have beaten Dortmund had that not happened. I'm sure their players are still traumatized (PTSD), they could have died there.

They're a good side that has a great attack but they have a bad defence. They also don't have a better attack than Barcelona. We'll have to be careful and I'm sure EuroMax will take care of this properly.

That said, we'll beat them.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
L'ex attaccante del Liverpool, dopo aver pescato il Real Madrid, non avrebbe rimescolato le palline nell'urna e sarebbe andato dritto sulla sfera contenente il nome dei colchoneros

NYON (SVIZZERA) - In Spagna fanno discutere i sorteggi di Champions League a Nyon. Ian Rush, ambasciatore della finale di Cardiff, non avrebbe mescolato nella seconda pescata dalle urne. L'ex attaccante del Liverpool, dopo aver estratto il nome del Real Madrid, sarebbe andato direttamente a pescare quello dell'Atletico, senza rimischiare le palline come da usanza. Il caso è scoppiato nella capitale iberica forse perché stufi di veder giocare il derby sia in campionato che in Champions.

fonte:corrieredellosport.it

:lol:

If I've read this right. I think it says something like in Madrid they got the hump because Ian Rush didn't mix the balls up after he drew Real. Then drew Atletico.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
They didn't dismantle City, Fred. Let's not exaggerate. They went through on away goals, 6-6 on aggregate. City is also a mediocre team, and has absolutely no defense, while playing a possession game that perfectly suits Monaco.

You're exaggerating how good they are. They had an easy group (as did we), and two easy opponents since the group stage. Coming out of the group with 11 points, and now 10 games in having conceded more than any team left in the competition and the worst goal differential. 21 goals for - 16 goals conceded.

We've scored 17 goals - conceded 2. 2 friggin' goals. The last time someone got this far in the CL with 2 goals conceded was your team in the year they so sadly got beat by Barca in the final. We have the best defense by a country mile, and an attack that's only scored a couple goals less than Monaco. +15 goal differential to +5 goal differential tells you all you need to know about how much better we are.

If we lose to them over the two legs it will be a colossal failure from Allegri and our team, as bad as Conte and that team losing to Benfica in 2014...
They dismantled City in the second leg, i was talking individual matches. I dont think im exaggerating how good they are. They've won some really tough away games during the season and have been very consistent, i dobt know how much more you expect them to do. They beat Tottenham, Villareal, and Dortmund away in Europe this season, they topped their group, they scored 3 goals in every CL knockout game so far. They absolutely deserve to be where they are.

I didnt compare them to Juve by the way, i eas asked about Monaco and wrote about them. I dont think it will be an easy game at all for juve though and im sure youd be in for a surprise if you think otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

so what youre trying to say is, we have excellent chances to progress here

- - - Updated - - -

the key for Bayern was Kroos getting injured vs us. thats when they had to play Robben and roflstopmed the rest of the season
Lets just say a game against Real would have probably suited them more. I still think this will be a closer game than many here though.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
They dismantled City in the second leg, i was talking individual matches. I dont think im exaggerating how good they are. They've won some really tough away games during the season and have been very consistent, i dobt know how much more you expect them to do. They beat Tottenham, Villareal, and Dortmund away in Europe this season, they topped their group, they scored 3 goals in every CL knockout game so far. They absolutely deserve to be where they are.

I didnt compare them to Juve by the way, i eas asked about Monaco and wrote about them. I dont think it will be an easy game at all for juve though and im sure youd be in for a surprise if you think otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets just say a game against Real would have probably suited them more. I still think this will be a closer game than many here though.
Almost no CL games are easy, especially in the knockout rounds, and the ones that are, generally were unexpected.

But Monaco squeaked out of their group with a +2 goal differential. And Tottenham and Leverkusen are incredibly poor teams. Villareal got absolutely destroyed by Roma. And Dortmund, a shellshocked Dortmund that was 4th place in Bundes already and is incredibly inconsistent and poor at the back? Silliness. Monaco is a +5 goal differential in the entire CL thus far. 10 matches. That's poor as fuck. The only reason they are in the Semis is because of not facing a big team yet. Avoiding Bayern, Barca, Real, Juve. Probably Atletico too.

I'm sorry if I'm not particularly impressed by them. They haven't dismantled anyone yet. They haven't even been particularly good. They have a good attack, context dependent, and a very poor defense (don't make me laugh here, 16 goals conceded in 10 matches is atrocious).

I'm not saying we will blow them out. I think it will likely be a nail biter, just how Juventus does things against inferior teams that like to press and attack with pace (see Napoli matches), but suggesting they are on our level, or that they are even a particularly good side is silly. Losing to them would be a colossal failure, as I said.

I know your expectations are piss-poor in cheering for Arsenal and France, but I expect my team to win against teams that are clearly inferior on every part of the pitch. If we don't. Pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 133)