Catenaccio vs Total Football (1 Viewer)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Seven said:
Beh, both systems' benefits are frequent in good teams. As if the only sort of football in which players change positions is total football. By that standard Italy played total football at the World Cup. You seriously think that if Zambrotta runs forward they're going to let his position vacant? Come on now. Surely Gattuso, Perrotta or some other central midfielder will cover for him.
True, but it's not about who would cover the position, it's about who could cover it as good as Zambrotta.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seven said:
Beh, both systems' benefits are frequent in good teams. As if the only sort of football in which players change positions is total football. By that standard Italy played total football at the World Cup. You seriously think that if Zambrotta runs forward they're going to let his position vacant? Come on now. Surely Gattuso, Perrotta or some other central midfielder will cover for him.
The article's definition of Total Football is a bit off, yeah. But what Italy played this summer doesn't come anywhere near it thought. Just compare it to Hungary on the 1954 World Cup or Holland on the 1974 World Cup.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
And why is catenaccio deemed a failure with a European Championship loss, but Total Football a succes with a World Cup loss?

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Erik-with-a-k said:
First of all, you can't go discussing Total Football without mentioning the Hungarian national team of the 1950s.

Secondly, both total football and catenaccio are dead. What we see today, anywhere in the world, is either:
* a mixture of the two (Arsenal, Barcelona) or
* a pale shadow of either (Ajax, Internazionale).

It's a dead shame.

thats the answer to this debate its now a mixture of both to be honest:agree:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Erik-with-a-k said:
The article's definition of Total Football is a bit off, yeah. But what Italy played this summer doesn't come anywhere near it thought. Just compare it to Hungary on the 1954 World Cup or Holland on the 1974 World Cup.
Thing is Total Football is dead and burried. It describes an ideal situation. To adapt that quickly is simply impossible. IMO Italy played with a very fixed roster this summer. But what made it so great is that their positions covered so much space. Zambrotta's "position" for example was the entire wing.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Seven said:
And why is catenaccio deemed a failure with a European Championship loss, but Total Football a succes with a World Cup loss?
Who knows.

Seven said:
Thing is Total Football is dead and burried. It describes an ideal situation. To adapt that quickly is simply impossible.
Impossible in today's game, yes. Today's game is much faster, there's not enough time for players to leave their positions all the time and have them taken over by a random colleague. It also means everyone on the team needs at least basic skills in every asset of the game. Forwards need to be able to take over positions of defenders etc.
With today's pace of the game that would mean everyone would be exhausted by about the 60th minute.

Which explains why only a small, pale, adapted version of Total Football still exists.

IMO Italy played with a very fixed roster this summer. But what made it so great is that their positions covered so much space. Zambrotta's "position" for example was the entire wing.
That's not entirely true though, is it? His main position was where the coach put him at the start of the match. He was given the assignment to use his attacking power when the opportunity arose, but that's a different ball game.

For example: Cruyff would spend 30 minutes on #10, the next 15 minutes as a pure striker and the entire second half as a controlling midfielder (sudden shifts in the game disregarded). Zambrotta didn't have that kind of freedom. Nobody does anymore in today's game.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Fliakis said:
they play shit
you dont understand anything in football , i dont know who made you a moderator , please act like other moderators in this forum and dont be on the side of any member in the forum like you did when you changed the results of the poll

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
m_elayyan said:
you dont understand anything in football , i dont know who made you a moderator , please act like other moderators in this forum and dont be on the side of any member in the forum like you did when you changed the results of the poll

oh please for heavens sake stop this cos its getting ridiciulos!! fli and jeeks are free to have there own opinion just the same way u have yrs. for u barca is a great team so it is for u thats yr taste in soccer for jeeks and fli they dislike barca and that does not make them real madrid fans either they have there on taste in soccer and thats there right.

i like barca too cos i admire there style of play and thats my own opinion, jeeks or any other memeber can agree with me or disagree but i dont have to defend barca every time a memeber mentions there opinion and accuse them of not knowing anything about soccer. if u read carefully jeeks post u will find tonnes of variable points that explain his point of view.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
here u go www.fcbes.com is the forum for english speaking barca fans

i have nothing against u m_elyaan i just think there is no point to keep arguing with everyone who just does'nt like barcelona, if people dont like barca it does'nt mean they dont know anything about soccer or that they r real madrid fans. its just there own taste.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
m_elayyan said:
Whats wrong with Jacques and Fli?

And why shouldnt moderators take side that isnt strictly related to Juve?

I do like watching Barca in CL, but that is different me actively trying to follow their matches. I am first and foremost Juve, Serie A fan, and it is a matter of attachment and self-identity as much as anything else.

I feel modern game has tried to incorporate the flexibility of total football and catenaccio by keeping the shape rigid when not in possession, whilst giving one or two fantasista`s freedom to roam around and create something out of nothing. Barca is no different in this regard to say Milan, other than the fact that Barca forwards are just that much better with Messi & Ronaldinho instead of Kaka alone (BTW Pirlo is far better than Deco). As far as I am concerned Arsenal is just about one team that is willing to compromise their shape to a certain degree in their attacking approach.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Jun-hide said:
Whats wrong with Jacques and Fli?

And why shouldnt moderators take side that isnt strictly related to Juve?

I do like watching Barca in CL, but that is different me actively trying to follow their matches. I am first and foremost Juve, Serie A fan, and it is a matter of attachment and self-identity as much as anything else.

I feel modern game has tried to incorporate the flexibility of total football and catenaccio by keeping the shape rigid when not in possession, whilst giving one or two fantasista`s freedom to roam around and create something out of nothing. Barca is no different in this regard to say Milan, other than the fact that Barca forwards are just that much better with Messi & Ronaldinho instead of Kaka alone (BTW Pirlo is far better than Deco). As far as I am concerned Arsenal is just about one team that is willing to compromise their shape to a certain degree in their attacking approach.

right on jun :agree: +rep

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Elvin said:
Does Juventus have a fantasista right now?
As Erik said in the prior post, in a modern game you just cannot play a flexible system whereby you don't have to keep the shape of the team. That is asking to be hit on the break. So what most team does is that they keep the formation rigid up till 2/3 of the field, and then rely on one or two players to conjure up something out of nothing. Obviously that requires talent, and no interference or training from manager can produce similar qualities. So contrary to the popular claim that these creative players are dying, I think we are actually enjoying an era of fantastic technical players.

What worries me most is that teams are realizing ball retention is actually a good form of defence so they are sacrificing a striker and putting in an additional player or two in the midfield to (1) keep the hold of possession and (2) pick up any loose ball in the dangerous area. That is leading to a trend whereby teams are keeping hold of possession more than in the past but without any real penetration or genuine threat of creating a chance. It may be pleasing to an eye with clean neat short passess, but to some fans who want more action up and down the field that could actually be quite boring. I think if Jacques and Fli have their thing against Barca then this is it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)