Carlos Tevez (124 Viewers)

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
Sad to see him inherit the iconic Juve #10 shirt that I have inked on my skin.

Interested to see how players will react to him comfortably being the highest paid player in the squad.

mukumsplau

Jul 9, 2008
Tevez will soon arrive at Juve, but will he fit in?
Posted by Mina Rzouki
RECOMMEND0TWEET0EMAIL
Excited, jubilant and boasting all the emotions of a child before his birthday, Fabio Paratici sat down on the sofa in the hotel's cafe to exclaim what a great day he had in early February. Unfortunately my dinner with Juventus' sporting director was a dull affair because it was spent mostly on his mobile and as such, I instantly questioned what happened during the day.

It was quickly revealed, behind a poker face, that his afternoon had been spent with "friends" from Manchester City.

- Horncastle: Tevez deal a coup for Juve
- Jolly: Time right for City to let Tevez go

"There is nobody I want from there," I remember thinking. Rationally, I opined anyone City would want to sell would not be good enough and they would not be selling any prized assets.

"Don't you love Edin Dzeko?" Paratici enquired. Dzeko may be an attractive chap in an awkward kind of way, but not the player a fan would have coveted for Juventus at that time. "Not for Juve," was my response before I followed it up with "tell me it's not Tevez."

His perturbed and disturbed facial expression said it all. Considering Paratici's reaction, the meeting had to have been about Carlito Tevez. He, as it turns out, was the man Juventus management were coveting, having all but given up on primary target Luis Suarez. "He's a terrific player," came the simple reply.

A terrific player he is, but is Tevez the terrific character Paratici and Juve CEO Giuseppe "Beppe" Marotta are so eager to introduce to a harmonious dressing room?

When it comes to footballing talents, Tevez belongs to an elite group of technical players who can change the course of the game with one magical move. Physically strong while possessing the ability to hypnotise onlookers with his dribbling abilities, few understand the role of an attacker in the same way as "El Apache."

His versatility and willingness to secure goal-scoring opportunities for his teammates as well as score himself has seen him play under the tutelage of some of the best coaches in the world.

However, as with every genius, there is a hint of madness. Tevez is not the easiest man to have in the dressing room and his attitude on the pitch can, at times, sabotage the atmosphere and the stability of a group.

His falling out with Sir Alex Ferguson and continued war of words even after his departure from Manchester United looked troubling. Nevertheless, it seemed the player had settled in the blue half of Manchester -- that is until Roberto Mancini exploded with anger at Tevez's attitude.

Citing his broken relationship with the club's executives as the reason why he wanted to leave City, few understood why such a relationship would impact a football player whose job it was to train and perform on the pitch on match days.

Seemingly always homesick, and coupled with the fact Ferguson revealed the player had told him he was only going to play for four more years during his time with United, one had to question the player's commitment to the job.

Yet despite the many reasons one may have to turn away from the player, his undoubted talent still makes him an object of desire, especially for a side such as Juventus.

Antonio Conte is counting on the fact that this is Tevez's last chance to atone for his sins in football and to make the most of the opportunity at a big club, where he is considered the man for whom the others play for in the team.

On a purely sporting level, Tevez is the ideal fit. With the club desperately seeking a forward who is versatile enough to fit seamlessly into any formation, Tevez's creative skills and finishing power make him the perfect partner for Fernando Llorente. Clever in the box, with two brilliant feet, Conte is likely to play either a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with Tevez. If it is the latter, Juve will hope to obtain their other transfer targets, in order to play Tevez alongside the likes of Stevan Jovetic and behind Llorente in a side that would delight with their offensive displays.

If Conte were to persist with the 3-5-2 shape, then Tevez would act as the creator, a step behind Llorente.

Talent and madness aside, this is still a player loved by his own people and fans worldwide. More than Gonzalo Higuain, he brings with him commercial opportunities and international appeal. A famous name who boasts a specific charm, his skill on the ball and appeal off it will guarantee shirt sales, a boost in viewership and a little more interest in Italy's best team.

Perhaps this really is a terrific deal, especially when you consider the price to be paid.

Jul 20, 2012
I just dont see Juve playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1

If they play a 4-3-3 who do you drop in defence and who do you drop in the midfield. While in the 4-2-3-1 who do you play out wide and who do you drop in the midfield. I dont think Juve need Jovetic. He would be good but where woudl they play him?

adRHCP

Nov 7, 2012
I still can't believe we just paid 4.5M to get him :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Arrival of Carlos Tevez Makes Perfect Sense for Juventus

Having comfortably retained their Serie A title by a nine-point margin in 2012-13, Juventus manager Antonio Conte has set about ensuring that the Bianconeri remain on top of the Italian championship for a third successive campaign.

Yet, there is more than merely one goal to Juventus' plans this summer. Unquestionably they are the best side in Serie A—the last two campaigns have proved as much.

But despite proving dominant in Italy, Conte's side barely registered as an attacking force in their Champions League quarter-final defeat against eventual winners Bayern Munich. The final aggregate scoreline was 4-0, but it could easily have been more.

The difference in each side's respective central attacking options proved palpable, and the first-leg double substitution which saw Alessandro Matri and Fabio Quagliarella simultaneously replaced by Mirko Vucinic and Sebastian Giovinco was somewhat telling—good enough to do the business at home, found wanting at the very highest level by authoritative opponents on the continent.

Goals weren't hard to come by for the Old Lady over the course of their last 38 league matches (71 in total, with only Napoli and Fiorentina scoring more). However, Mirko Vucinic and all-action Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal were top scorers with a mere 10 apiece. The year previous, Alessandro Matri was the leading marksman with a similar figure.

To put that into further context, no Juventus player has been in the top-15 of Serie A top scorers in the past two years; last season Edinson Cavani netted 29 goals for Napoli himself. Mario Balotelli scored 12 goals during his four months at AC Milan.

As such, Antonio Conte has set about enhancing and improving his forward line this summer, as he looks to guarantee Juve's place atop Serie A, as well as closing the gap at the highest echelons of the European game.

Fernando Llorente, the Spanish international target man, has already agreed on a free transfer from the Basque club Athletic, putting pen-to-paper on a four-year deal. Coming in at 6'5", the World Cup winner will add far greater aerial threat than has been prevalent at any point since Conte's return to the club two summers back.

But perhaps of more interest, the Spaniard is to be joined in Turin by the Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, who according to the Guardian's Jamie Jackson arrives for an initial €9 million.

The 29-year-old Argentine international is a player of fine calibre, having proven himself a winner at the top levels of the club game: A European Cup with Manchester United, Copa Libertadores success with Boca Juniors and a three-time English Premier League winner (twice with United, once with Manchester City). Those titles aside, as a footballer, he is an ideal fit for Conte's Juventus blueprint.

A player with proven goalscoring pedigree, physically powerful with a never-say-die attitude, Tevez as a player would appear born to play for Conte, a manager whose hard-running philosophy has been instilled in this Juve side. Such determination has long been a staple part of Tevez's on-field persona, and has helped him become adored by supporters of each of his former clubs—at least when he played for them.

That three of his four Premier League campaigns with Manchester City have seen him score 23, 20 and 11 goals respectively (not counting his 2011-12 campaign which saw that six-month golfing sabbatical in his native Argentina) is an added bonus. When fit and motivated, he has proven to be one of the Premier League's most devastating forwards. In that respect, €9 million looks a bargain.

Now Conte must decide upon exactly how to use him, having entrusted him with the hallowed No.10 shirt previously worn by club icon Alessandro Del Piero. In essence, it shouldn't be that difficult, for Tevez is a rare breed of striker whose adaptability makes him somewhat universal.

His vision, intelligent movement and creativity marks him as a supremely capable support striker, a role which he has often occupied at national level, most notably with Gonzalo Higuain at the 2010 World Cup or at club level with Sergio Aguero/Edin Dzeko. Those same qualities make him a more than capable "False Nine" also.

On the other hand, his physical strength, ability to hold up play and pace in behind opposing defences mark him down as a threat when playing as an out-and-out No. 9 himself.

Additionally his most decorated season at Old Trafford—2007-08—saw he, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo work in tandem as a three-pronged attack where each would perform with flexibility right the way across the front, be it starting centrally or from wide positions.

All told, there are very few with as many strings to their bow as Carlitos, and his versatility will allow him to fit seamlessly into any formation/partnership that Conte chooses.

Should he persist with the 3-5-2 formation which has proven so successful, then Tevez can be both the creator behind Llorente, or act in partnership with Mirko Vucinic, another flexible attacker.

If Claudio Marchisio continues in an advanced midfield role with a midfield trio of Andrea Pirlo, Paul Pogba and Arturo Vidal further back—something akin to a 3-5-1-1—then expect to see Tevez at the point of the attack. Given Conte's penchant for changing shape as and when he sees fit, don't be surprised to see the utilisation of 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2 formations either.

Much of the question marks about Carlos Tevez during his time in England have been because of off-field problems. There have never been any question marks about his undoubted talent.

At the age of 29, this may well be Carlos Tevez final turn at a major European club. For Antonio Conte it may prove the biggest test of his man-management skills to date. If both quickly get on the same page, expect Juventus to further prosper.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1685197-arrival-of-carlos-tevez-makes-perfect-sense-for-juventus

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
@Klin :heart: :kiss: :dule:
@Salvatore I'm in disbelief. Tevez + Llorente for the attack in one summer is amazing. I'm beyond words :touched: :tuttosport:

Members of the society, I commend you. I commend you for sticking by your man, continuing to believe in him, and never doubting his abilities. This is for you :beer: :pint: :malt: :wine: :champ:

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
Meh better than Llorente taking the #10 the. I would've really pulled my hair.
Tevez had plenty of epic moments in his career that amounts the stature of the #10 jersey.
Bottom line better than llorente inheriting it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 122)