Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (134 Viewers)

Sciacca

I'm Fabio Capello
Dec 19, 2009
It's ironic how our best right back is a center back, and how our best left back is a center back too.
Agreed, but we really can't depend on them being fullbacks for ever. Sure Cheillini is our best fullback at the moment seeing that Traroe and Grosso are flops. De Ceglie is injured so it will be interesting when he comes back and what Del Neri will decide to do. So far, Cheillini has been great, even his performance with the national team. Provided a great cross for Matri versus Cagliari and also Soreson against Inter. The only problem I have with Soreson and Cheillini is their pace and dribbling going up the flanks. As fullbacks you need to be able to push forward good. We really shouldn't worry with Soreson because Krasic does most of the work on the wing, and seeing that Krasic is not that good at defending, Soreson will be perfect to support him. Cheillini and Marchisio is a bit difficult, both are not up to par when it comes to their pace. Another factor ofcourse is that Cheillini is a world class CB, so putting him back to CB with Bonucci and PDC taking his place in LB wouldn't be such a bad idea. Anywho, the only reason why we signed Barzagli was to replace Legro.

Sciacca

I'm Fabio Capello
Dec 19, 2009

Giorgio Chiellini has returned to his former left-back role, a tactical switch which Serafino Ingardia believes will benefit Juventus for the rest of the season

It may just be a coincidence but Juventus have won their last two games, conceding only once, with Giorgio Chiellini at left-back. They are statistics to be proud of for a team which in the first six matches of 2011 gave away 12 goals and looked incredibly shaky at the back.

So it took Chiellini only 180 minutes to give Gigi Del Neri enough reasons to move him there permanently. “In Italy there are no left-backs stronger than him. Giorgio will play there until the end of the season and he knows it,” claimed the Bianconeri boss this morning.

His performance against Inter was indeed a valid one as he tested himself against Douglas Maicon and proved to be good enough to cover that spot. At times, Chiellini overshadowed the Brazilian and was a constant threat moving up and down the flank. Indeed he passed his exam against the strongest of rivals.

Del Neri seems relieved by this successful move as he had been thinking about it for a while. During the summer, Juventus were after Nicolas Burdisso and had they signed the Argentine defender then Chiellini would have probably moved to the left earlier on in the season.

Over the past few months injuries have hit the Bianconeri’s backline and the former Sampdoria Coach was forced to recall Fabio Grosso into the squad. But the former Lyon defender has proved his detractors right, showing to be clearly on his way towards retirement.

In the meantime, Armand Traore hasn’t had the chance to settle in while Paolo De Ceglie has been sidelined since November. Had Nicola Legrottaglie provided enough guarantees to Del Neri, Chiello’s move to left-back could have been faster and perhaps helped Juve in the toughest part of their season so far.

In the January transfer window, it was pretty clear that Beppe Marotta was chasing a reinforcement to give Del Neri more competitive options at the back. Andrea Barzagli was the perfect signing in terms of costs and experience. Indeed it is not easy to find a 29-year-old World Cup winner available on the market for €300,000.

The introduction of Barzagli, who to Del Neri is clearly much more reliable than Legrottaglie, has allowed Chiellini to replace Grosso on the left and return to what is and was his natural position – even though the player makes no secret of preferring the centre-back role nowadays.

When Juventus bought the 26-year-old from Livorno, back in 2004, Chiellini had been used regularly as a full-back. It was Fabio Capello who believed he could do a super job in the centre of the defence and Chiellini has proved him right.

But over the years, Chiellini has shown the need for an experienced teammate next to him and Leonardo Bonucci needs a little longer to gain that sort of knowledge. Barzagli, instead, is helping both defenders in keeping the Old Lady’s backline tight and reliable.

Without questioning Chiellini’s ability as a central defender, but rather praise him for his suitability to various positions, it seems clear that for Juve’s sake it is better if he stays on the left for the time being and he will no doubt have the chance to move back to the middle sometime in the future.​

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I was expecting a spirited performance against the pigfuckers, especially from King Giorgio...but he exceeded my hopes. I missed the cagliari game, only caught the highlights, so didn't get a good peek at his 'debut' on the left. He seems so alive on the flank, domineering, imperious, and allows marchisio to move more central due to pretty much ruling the LB/LM/LW passage, singlehandedly.

Its a shame for De Ceglie...as he was doing very well before his injury, but de ceglie doing very well is a pussycat compared to the rageful Lion that Chiellini brings to that area.

I guess DC can be used on the left of midfield, but then what of Marchisio, who has been in fine form of late??? Although Aquiliani isnt in his best period, he is a far better foil for Melo, than Marchisio can be.

Its as if something truly beastly, is unleashed from its cage when we put our star defender on the left...and that beast, he sometimes has trouble keeping locked away, when he plays in the middle. This is probably wild optimism, emotional bias, but with practice, chiellini seems capable of becoming one of the world's best left backs...mightily impressive when he is already one of the world's greatest centrebacks. His time in the middle has improved his abilities not just at CB, but also at LB...

forza giorgio

Neutrol

Anti-Moggi
May 24, 2009
Fabio Germani, head of Italia Bianconera, suggested to give Giorgio number 6 shirt in honor of Scirea. I'd say hell yes, what a joke that Grosso is wearing that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 128)