Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (68 Viewers)

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I don't think I'll ever forget his performance against Zlatan after our return to Serie A. Quite possibly the best display of man marking I have ever seen. He out battled him on every ball and had him completely rattled.

A magnificent defender who could do it all in terms of aggressive man marking or perfect positioning. His passing was also underrated despite looking awkward at times.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
Ramos in terms of ability is not in that group, success-wise for sure. Also, Cannavaro was incredible but he only spent a few years there while Maldini and Nesta were brilliant forever.
Cannavaro was brilliant but maybe more so with the national team.
I wouldn’t call Ramos tier 1: goes around injuring other players eg. Salah.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Franco Baresi was excellent.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Scirea, Maldini, Ramos, Nesta, Beckenbauer, Puyol etc.
Well most of these won the World Cup and CL/European Cup, but I dont know if I’d say Puyol was better than Chiellini.

To me is it Beckenbauer, Maldini and Nesta in tier 1. Everyone else is a notch below, especially the first two.

In terms of pure defending I’d say Chiellini was better than Ramos and Puyol, people just tend to rate Ramos higher because of all those clutch goals and Puyol for being part of that Barca 2009-2012 team.

Not to forget Spain 2008-2012.

As a pure defender I’d take a prime Chiellini over these two.

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Scirea, Maldini, Ramos, Nesta, Beckenbauer, Puyol etc.

If you want to bring out the microscope then those players are still not at the same category
In the "all time" consideration Scirea and Beckenbauer are on different level they changed the game and redefined what a defender could and should be.. I don't see the game owing anything to maldini and nesta other than they are great players but not on same level.
In the third group as a defender you have first puyol then ramos and I don't give two fucks that they happen to have played with two of the "GOAT" and have so and so medals and titles.

"legend"
great
good

Last edited:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
If you want to bring out the microscope then those players are still not at the same category
In the "all time" consideration Scirea and Beckenbauer are on different level they changed the game and redefined what a defender could and should be.. I don't see the game owing anything to maldini and nesta other than they are great players but not on same level.
In the third group as a defender you have first puyol then ramos and I don't give two fucks that they happen to have played with two of the "GOAT" and have so and so medals and titles.

"legend"
great
good
No CL = no 1st tier. It's my opinion and I think most neutrals see it that way.

If you have a 20-25 season career and don't win a CL in that span (don't care how or thanks to whom), you are not a 1st tier legend in my opinion. ESPECIALLY for players after 1990.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 60)