Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (101 Viewers)

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Yeah they aren't as good as those guys in an attacking sense...but yeah, we aren't affording (or attracting) players like Bale, Hazard, Robben, James and CR7 to this $#@! league. So its a useless argument.
But it's an argument in favor to 433/4321/4231 system rather than 352 don't you think? I mean those teams can afford playing a formation that relies on those players while we should make it easier for Licht and Asa instead of leaving them on their own on the flanks and then constantly complain with them :D

Licht and Asa don't deserve the criticism they get IMO. They're playing in a system that requires too much from them. They can be support type of players on the flanks (fullbacks) but not main threats. It's as easy as this to me.

Back 4 would benefit Chiellini a lot too IMO. He's a classic CB that's supposed to collect the ball and pass it to someone else. In 352 he suffers because he's too often on the ball. I think his giveaways are the main thing people aren't happy with because when he makes a mistake we're left very exposed on a counter and we're likely to concede then.

Nov 17, 2012
But it's an argument in favor to 433/4321/4231 system rather than 352 don't you think? I mean those teams can afford playing a formation that relies on those players while we should make it easier for Licht and Asa instead of leaving them on their own on the flanks and then constantly complain with them :D

Licht and Asa don't deserve the criticism they get IMO. They're playing in a system that requires too much from them. They can be support type of players on the flanks (fullbacks) but not main threats. It's as easy as this to me.

Back 4 would benefit Chiellini a lot too IMO. He's a classic CB that's supposed to collect the ball and pass it to someone else. In 352 he suffers because he's too often on the ball. I think his giveaways are the main thing people aren't happy with because when he makes a mistake we're left very exposed on a counter and we're likely to concede then.
- I partially agree with Asa and Licht - I think it hurts us that we weren't playing Caceres at RWB more, because I'm afraid we might have, and will continue to burn Licht out. That said, they (mostly) deliver with their defensive work and skill, but Asa isn't the best crosser on the planet as has been less and less inclined to cut inside as time has gone on. Licht was never the greatest crosser on the planet and with the exception of a few poacher's chances (I'm thinking the opening goals of each the 11/12 and 12/13 seasons) he really isn't an attacking threat in the vein of Robben, Ribery, Bale, Ronaldo, or even lesser players like Gervinho, Iturbe, Elia or even our own Pepe when he was fit. He just isn't an attacker in that style and is a classic RB make shifting into an attacking RWB when (on the ever rare) occasion we press and take the game to our opponents, it's not his game, it's no fault of his, but his strengths as a player aren't being utilised.

- I completely agree with Chiello too, he's unweildly on the ball and as he ages and loses pace he becomes a growing liability when he loses (or the team) possession in the midfield and he has to dash back and cover the ground behind him. If it is true that Barza is losing it as a defender (more due to a creeping chronic injury issue than a lack of skill or desire), I'd love to see Martin partner Chiellini in defence. Martin is pretty strong for a smaller guy, and has a decent leap on him so is likely to prevail in ariel duels, on top of which, he's a guy unafraid of laying in a tackle and is the swiftest of our defenders.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
He seems to be getting worse. His touch, passing and decision making are outrageously bad. Even his defending isn't reliable these days. I honestly have more faith in Ogbonna and Bonucci at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 94)