Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (147 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
@Dule90 do you think hes done being a WC defender? tbh im not too optimistic
Yes, I actually think he won't hit that level (again?). He had some amazing seasons and he's one of the few players who helped us way too much over the past 5 years so so, he helped us get where we are now. I'm not sure I'd blame the injuries but he lost the consistency during the time. However, I also think 3 man defense doesn't suit him as much, so I'd love to see him in a 4 man defense once again and I think he'd provide better games -- but I don't think it's going to be a world class level of play. Chiellini is still a great player, he doesn't make many brain farts while he offers quite a lot on the pitch, I highly doubt I'd bench him either Bonucci or Ogbonna if we switch to 4-3-3.

I don't like how things might develop, though. Just when the next season starts we're going to have a 33 year old Barzagli, 30 year old Chiellini and 30 year old Licht as our main defenders which is pretty worrying. Sadly enough I don't think we're planning to sign some great replacement as I think we're just gonna rely on Bonucci to succeed (which is a huge mistake in my books if I may add) him while as our potential 'surprise' (either good or bad) will be noone else but Ranocchia himself. It's actually pretty sad imo, if something goes wrong in our defense regarding injuries our quality might drastically drop in that area. I'd love us to sign some quality defender but I can't see it happening, 99% sure of it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yes, I actually think he won't hit that level (again?). He had some amazing seasons and he's one of the few players who helped us way too much over the past 5 years so so, he helped us get where we are now. I'm not sure I'd blame the injuries but he lost the consistency during the time. However, I also think 3 man defense doesn't suit him as much, so I'd love to see him in a 4 man defense once again and I think he'd provide better games -- but I don't think it's going to be a world class level of play. Chiellini is still a great player, he doesn't make many brain farts while he offers quite a lot on the pitch, I highly doubt I'd bench him either Bonucci or Ogbonna if we switch to 4-3-3.

I don't like how things might develop, though. Just when the next season starts we're going to have a 33 year old Barzagli, 30 year old Chiellini and 30 year old Licht as our main defenders which is pretty worrying. Sadly enough I don't think we're planning to sign some great replacement as I think we're just gonna rely on Bonucci to succeed (which is a huge mistake in my books if I may add) him while as our potential 'surprise' (either good or bad) will be noone else but Ranocchia himself. It's actually pretty sad imo, if something goes wrong in our defense regarding injuries our quality might drastically drop in that area. I'd love us to sign some quality defender but I can't see it happening, 99% sure of it.
Worrisome indeed.
Our backline is getting too old to be sincere. But well, Italy right now is having a huge problem in delivering high quality defenders like the ones from the golden era.

Maybe we have been spoiled with the likes of Maldini, Canna, Nesta , Ferrara and such.... and now we are back into reality.

Those dudes were really special.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Could've used his marking on that 1st goal (we were down to 10 when the goal was scored, as he was just coming back on, racing to his area, having gone off to change his jersey and exchange words of wisdom with Rafa7 Ibn Teez).

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Chiellini for Il Messaggero:

In Rome as champions.

Our tiredness is mental, not physical.

100 points? It's secondary objective. Winning Scudetto and EL are our goals.

Tbh it really seems that we desperately need some fresh blood in our team, integrate 1-2 new players, otherwise we'll be risking greatly and might even compromise next season's objectives. Complacency might become our biggest problem.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
:agree: We need to inject new blood and revitalize the squad. Once a team keeps winning all the time, complacency is bound to creep in. However, I doubt the current batch of players won't be motivated for the CL, considering the miserable failure and performances in this season's edition.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
:agree: We need to inject new blood and revitalize the squad. Once a team keeps winning all the time, complacency is bound to creep in. However, I doubt the current batch of players won't be motivated for the CL, considering the miserable failure and performances in this season's edition.
The team has to be absolutely determined to correct the individual failure that let to CL exit. Considering most of the team have spoken about this desire and regret, i'm certain they will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 142)