Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (46 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Anyway, the big question? Do you guys prefer getting a new leftback or a new centreback? I'm starting to warm to the idea of keeping Chiellini as leftback. Certainly in the current set-up, where acts additionally as an extra defensive midfielder with his filtering and the large ground he covers defensively cutting inwards defensively.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
Anyway, the big question? Do you guys prefer getting a new leftback or a new centreback? I'm starting to warm to the idea of keeping Chiellini as leftback. Certainly in the current set-up, where acts additionally as an extra defensive midfielder with his filtering and the large ground he covers defensively cutting inwards defensively.
:agree:

Especially when he has been clumsy most of the times he played at CB...

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Chiellini has impressed me as LB but it feels like it's a waste playing him at LB. He's one of the top few CBs in the world and he's being played at LB where his offensive skills aren't great. To me, it would make sense to get a LB (Cissokho, Ansaldi etc) and put Chiellini back to CB. Something like Barza-Hummels-Chiellini would be cool but something about it just doesn't feel right. It feels sort of unnatural. I don't think Chiellini will be better at LB than a very good LB.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Chiellini has impressed me as LB but it feels like it's a waste playing him at LB. He's one of the top few CBs in the world and he's being played at LB where his offensive skills aren't great. To me, it would make sense to get a LB (Cissokho, Ansaldi etc) and put Chiellini back to CB. Something like Barza-Hummels-Chiellini would be cool but something about it just doesn't feel right. It feels sort of unnatural. I don't think Chiellini will be better at LB than a very good LB.
Hit the nail on the head.
Chiellini is sufficient at LB but we should be aiming to reach our full potential. Look at the difference having a real fullback in Lichtsteiner has made to our attacks down our right flank. Chiellini doesn't offer that same service and just because he had a clumsy start at CB this season doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best CBs in the world for the past 2-3 seasons and still probably can be in the future. Its a joke how short sighted people are they must have month long memory spans at most.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
We should first get a proper CB and keep deploying Chiellini at LB. Then, we should do our maximum to get a proper LB so we can shift Chiellini back to his CB position.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
We should first get a proper CB and keep deploying Chiellini at LB. Then, we should do our maximum to get a proper LB so we can shift Chiellini back to his CB position.
But why buy two new players when we could have just bought one and put Chiellini back in CB?

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Hit the nail on the head.
Chiellini is sufficient at LB but we should be aiming to reach our full potential. Look at the difference having a real fullback in Lichtsteiner has made to our attacks down our right flank. Chiellini doesn't offer that same service and just because he had a clumsy start at CB this season doesn't mean he wasn't one of the best CBs in the world for the past 2-3 seasons and still probably can be in the future. Its a joke how short sighted people are they must have month long memory spans at most.
That's uncalled for.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
But why buy two new players when we could have just bought one and put Chiellini back in CB?
Because I still can't get myself to believe that Barzagli is this awesome, and we'll be fucked if one of Chiellini or Barzagli get injured.

RAVANELLI

it was all a dream
Jun 4, 2011
LB is the top priority now.
But we should also buy a great CB (Hummels) who can serve as either a starter or a backup. I would like to see our CBs as Hummels and Chiellini.
It's unfair though to put Barza on the bench. So maybe we need a CB in the winter mercato not now, when we are in CL and we actually need to rotate players.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I rather like Chiellini at LB, because I always like one of the fullbacks to be quite inward looking. As you said, Chiellini does a lot of good work helping out in more central areas.

I also suspect there are more good CBs around than there are good LBs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)