Capello to Juve: a contradiction? (2 Viewers)

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++
The coming of Favio Capello to Juve is just another sample of the geniality of Lucianone the master: how smart he was in making a smokescreen Prandelli- Deschamps in the las 2 months, at the same time bringing in Zebina and negociating with emerson, players of the future chosen one....
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=geniality

read the definition :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
don't you guys think that it could have been a bigger challenge for Cappello to coach.. (don't laugh :lazy: ) Inter..!!??

why did he choose Juve..? he had won every major trophy that can be won.. and so did juve.. (I know, it's been a while) but,

the challenge will be far bigger and harder to coach a loser team like Inter <--- now that's a fact..

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
On board with u Sergio, abt Jose Mourinho. Four years at Porto, and he's won everything they could have possible won, and that too without any star players.
Wonder waht he'll do with chelsea! :eek:!!!!!
I adore Mourinho as much as you, but I'm not sure he will succeed in Chelskij.

First of all Porto had major luck in CL, they should have fallen out against ManU, just remember Scholes goal was taken away by the ref in the 2nd leg. Than they just past Depor, the team which should have fallan out against Milan, either if Carlito dont want to play with two striker in La Coruna, either if the ref dont take away about five Milan goals by calling offside, everytime a milanista touched a ball in opponents half. I wonder what had happened if Porto face Milan in the semi-final. In the final, Giully the playmaker, leader and captain of Monaco was injured right at the start of the match (he is meaning a bit more to Monaco, than Nedved to us), than Porto scored a very lucky goal, and soon the party was over. So Porto did everything right, but I think they got a bit more luck than they deserved.

Maybe it's sounds funny from someone who adores italian football, but Mourinhos Porto is so fu*king boring even for me. I cannot remember a CL winning side from my life which had such a unmemorable squad. I couldnt recall the starting eleven of Porto in the final by heart, maybe I could the half of them.

In Chelskij he will have to work with stars, who dont likes to sit on the bench, the supporters will demand Premier League title (Porto didnt win the domestic league this year), the pace of the game and the strenght of the teams are incomparible between Portugal and England, and Chelskij wont be underestimated by the opponents, like Porto was during this years campaign.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Togon ] ++

Uhh-ohh my mistake, somehow I remebered Benfica won, shame on me. :embarass:
That was one of just three losses by Porto this season (in all competitions), in the Portuguese Cup final. If not this loss, Porto would have won 6 out of 6 competitions it has participated in the past two years.

To me Porto has been the strongest club in Europe this year.

I personally see football as a straightforward competative sport. Luck does not exist. Or, if it does, the stronger is the luckier ;)

(referee's actions not included :))

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

I personally see football as a straightforward competative sport. Luck does not exist. Or, if it does, the stronger is the luckier ;)

(referee's actions not included :))
Straightforward? Never thought I will hear this expression connected to Porto. Portos football is anything but straightforward, as I see it personally.

Imo Luck exists, and if you have all the luck of the world, and some of the ref's help, and you give everything you can, and your tactic is perfect too than you can be awarded with the CL, even if you are the most boring and unrecognizable side who has ever done it.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

Straightforward? Never thought I will hear this expression connected to Porto. Portos football is anything but straightforward, as I see it personally.

Imo Luck exists, and if you have all the luck of the world, and some of the ref's help, and you give everything you can, and your tactic is perfect too than you can be awarded with the CL, even if you are the most boring and unrecognizable side who has ever done it.
I agree. Certainly showing boring extra-tactical football doesn't look good on TV or when you're on the stadium.

But if that's what it takes to win, why not?

I'd be happy if Juve won the CL, and I wouldn't care at all how they did it...

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

I agree. Certainly showing boring extra-tactical football doesn't look good on TV or when you're on the stadium.

But if that's what it takes to win, why not?

I'd be happy if Juve won the CL, and I wouldn't care at all how they did it...
Certainly you would be happy, and I would be too, because you (and I) are Juve supporters, but if you are a bit more objective like we are in the case of Porto, may you are able to judge how much the luck was part of the success. Imo Porto's success was at least 30% luck, without it they couldnt even qualify forthe semi's. So if next year Juve would be as supertactical as Porto was, with the same kind of squad Porto got, we could easily finish our campaign as early as we did it this season.

OP
baggio

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
  • Thread Starter #76
    No dont agree sally. would be nice if wed gotten him. am happy abt capello. but if i were to choose between prandelli, dd and mourinho. id go with the latter, even if the cl result was different. i think his game suits italys style of play.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    Juve bosses knows about football much more than we think...they made a shure bet: a man who knows perfectly the serie A, somebody who has won everything, CL, Serie A, Intercontinental, coppa Italia...you name it. Any other choice, including Mourinho, was risky, Capello is a guarantee....

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Certainly you would be happy, and I would be too, because you (and I) are Juve supporters, but if you are a bit more objective like we are in the case of Porto, may you are able to judge how much the luck was part of the success. Imo Porto's success was at least 30% luck, without it they couldnt even qualify forthe semi's. So if next year Juve would be as supertactical as Porto was, with the same kind of squad Porto got, we could easily finish our campaign as early as we did it this season.
    "Luck" is the consolation whine most often employed by losers (such as any big ManU supporters might prove case and point). It's a cop out. It's a feeble attempt to assuage the pain of failure.

It's never, "We got beat by a better team, despite the fact that the budget for our individual players was several times theirs." It's, "We should have won if not for that darn luck factor. What could we do?" <hands in the air helplessly>

Screw luck. ManU should swallow the big bitter pill of losing and inferiority that they deserve this year. No excuses. Get over it. Fess up and take it like men.

Juve fans have seen us lose enough CLs in our history. But whining about some myserious, act-of-God luck factor would never get us anywhere. We lost those games to Milan, Dortmund, etc. Nothing is going to change that, and nothing should. Worthy teams make their luck. Losers don't, complain about it, and dwell on it long after the trophy has been engraved.

If it's so simple to win the CL by "lowering" your squad's tactics to the level of FC Porto, how come no one was able to succeed at beating them?

I don't mean any of this as a personal attack, but there's been so much denial and rationalization in the CL threads here this year because Porto doesn't have the marquis players, the huge budget, doesn't come from a big money league, etc. Is it so hard to conceive that calcio is a team sport where team tactics, rather than individual performances, matter? To say that a team doesn't deserve a championship, that they fairly won on the pitch, just because they don't have enough endorsement-ready players or that they were "lucky" is asinine.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

"Luck" is the consolation whine most often employed by losers (such as any big ManU supporters might prove case and point). It's a cop out. It's a feeble attempt to assuage the pain of failure.

It's never, "We got beat by a better team, despite the fact that the budget for our individual players was several times theirs." It's, "We should have won if not for that darn luck factor. What could we do?" <hands in the air helplessly>

Screw luck. ManU should swallow the big bitter pill of losing and inferiority that they deserve this year. No excuses. Get over it. Fess up and take it like men.

Juve fans have seen us lose enough CLs in our history. But whining about some myserious, act-of-God luck factor would never get us anywhere. We lost those games to Milan, Dortmund, etc. Nothing is going to change that, and nothing should. Worthy teams make their luck. Losers don't, complain about it, and dwell on it long after the trophy has been engraved.

If it's so simple to win the CL by "lowering" your squad's tactics to the level of FC Porto, how come no one was able to succeed at beating them?

I don't mean any of this as a personal attack, but there's been so much denial and rationalization in the CL threads here this year because Porto doesn't have the marquis players, the huge budget, doesn't come from a big money league, etc. Is it so hard to conceive that calcio is a team sport where team tactics, rather than individual performances, matter? To say that a team doesn't deserve a championship, that they fairly won on the pitch, just because they don't have enough endorsement-ready players or that they were "lucky" is asinine.
    ... so true

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Wow. Thats one of the best posts I've seen on this forum for a long time. Good stuff Swag, again. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)