Cannavaro"Players more Important" (2 Viewers)

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
I agree with Canna, but look at Roma... Many great players and sh1t... they have sh1tty coach.... look at Italy NT..... so Im a not so sure...

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You need everything to be a successful team, great players and a great coach. Diminshing the importance of either is a real crime. We have seen many cases where teams with fantastic squads fail to impress with mediorce managers, much like Ranieri at Valencia this season. Without a solid coach you lack guidance. He is the foundation of the team and without his work there is no team.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Soccer is one sport where I think the coach matters less -- compared to other sports. There's the conditioning and the preparation -- and the influence on player selection during transfer windows and before matches. But during the match it's really about the players. The coaches can offer some direction and play a hand in substitutions, but it really comes down to the players while they're on the pitch. Contrast with baseball, basketball, American football, and even hockey.

That said, I don't think that it's a complete fluke that Capello managed to head the Serie A team with the most goals and least goals allowed (and hence goal differential) in consecutive seasons with two different clubs. Capello had a significant influence on our success this season -- there's no question in my mind.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Baseball Greg? You can't be serious. It doesn't take that much of a genious to make a call to the bullpen and bring in a lefty instead of a righty. :rolleyes:

Hennes

Sep 3, 2004
Usual problem of missing parts of an interview. Did anyone of you read an italian version? Well, I did: Cannavaro stated that Capello did a great job this season and helped the team especially in the difficult moments when there was ermergency because of injuries. But he sais that it's still the players that are on the pitch and that the best coach can't do much without having the players who can make the difference.

I think we all can agree with that, can't we?

That the coach counts 15-20 % is his own opinion but he's been a professional for a while now and has played under many coaches so he knows his business, I guess..

You just need to be careful with the english translations. They don't tell lies but often they are just incomplete and so the message often is different (not only in translations, obviously, newspapers in general often do that)

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Maybe to point out that he had/has/will have some value of his own
and he isnt only a capello creation as some people think.

Or he just wanted to point out, that the true protagonists of football are the players and the coaches souldnt win all the glory from them.

I personally believe that the truth is somewhere in the middle,
as always.

as Andy said "You need everything to be a successful team, great players and a great coach"

If we take a look on a factor who never lies(money),
we can see what is really important for the team and how much from the distribution of wages.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Soccer is one sport where I think the coach matters less -- compared to other sports.
If the coach was not such an important part, Inter would have won the Scudetto almost every year for the past 10 years when you consider that on paper they had the best roster.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Baseball Greg? You can't be serious. It doesn't take that much of a genious to make a call to the bullpen and bring in a lefty instead of a righty. :rolleyes:
I may hate baseball with a passion (almost as much as I hate egotistical NBA players). But, IMO, a baseball manager has a lot more influence over the game than a soccer coach does. The walks to the mound to discuss pitching strategy. The batter instructions to bunt, walk, sacrifice, or...

Just a lot more opportunities, as in basketball, for them to influence the outcome of the game.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
If the coach was not such an important part, Inter would have won the Scudetto almost every year for the past 10 years when you consider that on paper they had the best roster.
Didn't say the coach wasn't important -- just that the coach has less of an influence over an individual game than coaches in other sports.

IMO, Inter should have won the Scudetto almost every year for the past 10 years on paper not because of poor coaching, that prevented them from winning. But rather, as Canna put it before coming to Juve, a gross impatience and an unwillingness to think longer-term.

Look for quick fixes, throw cash and players at the problem, if something isn't working throw it out immediately, change the roster wholesale almost every season, and hope for the best. That's the Inter way. It has a lot more to do with Moratti and the front office than any Inter coach per se.

Juve_Kosova

★ ★ ★
May 4, 2004
++ [ originally posted by ZAF3000 ] ++
You are looking at this from the wrong prospective. Del Piero said it before and now Cannavaro as well. Why? simply because the media is going upside-down saying that Capello did everything. They are saying Capello brought back the scudetto to Turin, they are actually saying Juventus without Capello are rubbish. The players are responding and saying that it takes a team work, not only a coach, to win the title. Thats all.
They are not saying that Capello is bad, nor they are disrespecting Capello's work this season. Come on they are fed up from hearing that they are worth shit without Capello. We won many titles with Lippi, we won with trap and we are winning now with Capello.
Capello did a great job as a coach, but thats about it. The players did a fantastic job and going with his tactics and playing from their hearts and even giving more than what coach said (idividual brilliance).

Juventus won the scudetto thanks to Juventus from the president to the bus driver. Period.
TOTALY AGREE ! Great post Zaf !

OP
Azzurri7

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

Give me another example and I will give you 22, 11 from Greece and 11 from Porto.
    omfg, RE-read my post again....

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    i think both play a major role. look at Real, they had a super star line up which couldnt be managed right.

at juve, we dont boast the same as real, milan, or chelsea...but we still win through passion and determination backed by a very intelligent coach who knows how to get the best out of what he has on the pitch.

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
    It sounds stupid ,and the best example is juve and inter , when cannav was in inter he never won any cup but with capello he won the scudetto direclty , so it is not the players

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
    It sounds stupid ,and the best example is juve and inter , when cannav was in inter he never won any cup but with capello he won the scudetto direclty , so it is not the players
    nor is it just the coach... Its the whole atmosphere of the team.
    If you guys remember one of the first interviews with Nedved after wearing the Juve jersey he said something like this: "In juventus the atmosphere is totally different than any place I have played at. Its an atmosphere of winning. A very healthy atmosphere".

jussiut

Feb 22, 2005
    This is all just counter-reaction to the media's endless praise on (correct preposition? ;) ) Capello. I think it's fairly obvious that both are needed, sometimes in different proportions but nevertheless very much needed.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by jussiut ] ++
    This is all just counter-reaction to the media's endless praise on (correct preposition? ;) ) Capello. I think it's fairly obvious that both are needed, sometimes in different proportions but nevertheless very much needed.
    Well said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)