Camoranesi to pick Italy (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Only for headaches. Can't use them for muscle injuries or something because if you don't feel the hurt, you're most likely to make it worse!

Then again, you probably wouldn't use asprins for muscle injuries but that's another issue :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Why are all you people still on Xtra-time btw? I took a look there once but nothing interesting imo...
It's been like 2 posts a week lately..

Aspirin? A couple of times a year maybe.

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
From gazzetta.it...

Tra i 22 convocati da Marcelo Bielsa per l’amichevole che l’Argentina disputerà il 12 febbraio contro l’Olanda non c’è Mauro Camoranesi. E’ l’ultima conferma che l’ala destra della Juventus giocherà con l’Italia. L’8 febbraio infatti Giovanni Trapattoni chiamerà Camoranesi per la partita del 12 col Portogallo. I due si incontrano per la prima volta proprio mercoledì 29 gennaio a Gubbio, in occasione della serata benefica della Juventus per il Gaslini. Finora si sono parlati solo due volte per telefono, una prima di Natale e l’altra un paio di settimane fa, quando lo juventino ha confermato al c.t. la decisione di indossare la maglia azzurra. Soddisfatto Trapattoni, un po’ meno Javier Zanetti senatore dell’Argentina: “Mi spiace, uno come Mauro ci avrebbe fatto comodo”.
Little translation: Camoranesi isn't part of Bielsa's squad to face Holland. When Trap names his squad on February 8, Camoranesi will be on the Italian squad.

OP

nina

Feb 18, 2001
  • Thread Starter #48
    Juventus FC winger Mauro Camoranesi is ready to turn his back on his native Argentina by accepting a call-up to play for the Italian national side.

Biesla snub
    Following Argentina coach Marcelo Biesla's failure to name the 26-year-old in his squad to face the Netherlands in a forthcoming friendly Camoranesi, who holds an Italian passport, was approached by Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni on Sunday and asked to make his international intentions clear.

'Glad' to play
    Camoranesi told an Italian television station he would be "glad" to receive a call-up from Trapattoni and that, despite not considering himself to be Italian, he would not regard playing for the Azzurri as an act of betrayal towards his homeland.

Italy chosen
    Speaking to reporters after the Turin club drew 1-1 with Atalanta BC, Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi said: "This morning I was authorised by Camoranesi to say that he has chosen the Italian national team".

Genoa debut
    Trappatoni, who said: "If it was down to me I would call him up without any doubt," now looks certain to pick Camoranesi for Italy's friendly against Portugal in Genoa on 12 February. If selected, the right-sided former Hellas-Verona FC player, whose grandparents were Italian, will become the 36th player of dual-nationality to represent the Azzurri - and the 17th Argentinian. There have also been nine Uruguayans and five Brazilians who have played for Italy, a Scottish-born striker, Giovanni Moscardini, who played in the 1920s and a South African, Eddie Firmani, who made three appearances in the 1950s.

Poor start
    Italy have made a poor start to their EURO2004™ qualifying campaign, currently wallowing in third position behind Yugoslavia and Group 9 leaders Wales.

uefa.com

Boca al lupo Mauro! :touched:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Sarah published some quotes on the issue on her site and from those I got the impression it would be Italy. But now that they have him, I hope they really take advantage of that opportunity, play him in his rightful position for one thing!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Buffon - Zaccardo,Cannavaro,Nesta,Zambrotta - Camoranesi,Pirlo,Ambrosini - Totti - Del Piero,Vieri:thumb::star:

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    great side DP's Apprentice...not sure about Zaccardo, maybe Zauri would be good there as well. And maybe have fiore taking the left side of midfield in a 4-4-2 formation instead of playing pirlo.

But the future looks brighter now seeing zambrotta at left back and camoranesi on the right.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    Great news for Italia.... though as good as Camo is, he still wont be enough to help italy yo Euro 2004.
    trap has got to go :fero:

Dont forget Doni and Brighi :thumb:

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
    I thought the match against Holland was cancelled?!
    Nope, the match will be held in Arena Stadium, Feb 12th :)

and Bielsa has choosen his team :

GK : Pablo Cavallero (Celta Vigo), Roberto Bonano (Barcelona)

DEF: Roberto Ayala (Valencia), Fabricio Coloccini (Atl.Madrid), Walter Samuel (AS Roma), Mauricio Pochettino (PSG), Facundo Quiroga (Sporting Lisbon), Lionel Scaloni (Dep. La Coruna), Juan Pablo Sorin (Lazio), Diego Placente (B.Leverkusen)

MID: Pablo Aimar (Valencia), Javier Zanetti (Internazionale), Marcello Gallardo (Monaco), Mauro Cetto (Nantes), Juan Sebastian Veron (Man Yoo), Esteban Cambiasso, Santiago Solari (Real Madrid)

FWD: Javier Saviola (Barcelona), Gustavo Lopez (Celta Vigo), Claudio Lopez (Lazio), Julio Cruz (Bologna), Ariel Ortega (Fenerbahce)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Febrina ] ++

Nope, the match will be held in Arena Stadium, Feb 12th :)

and Bielsa has choosen his team :

GK : Pablo Cavallero (Celta Vigo), Roberto Bonano (Barcelona)

DEF: Roberto Ayala (Valencia), Fabricio Coloccini (Atl.Madrid), Walter Samuel (AS Roma), Mauricio Pochettino (PSG), Facundo Quiroga (Sporting Lisbon), Lionel Scaloni (Dep. La Coruna), Juan Pablo Sorin (Lazio), Diego Placente (B.Leverkusen)

MID: Pablo Aimar (Valencia), Javier Zanetti (Internazionale), Marcello Gallardo (Monaco), Mauro Cetto (Nantes), Juan Sebastian Veron (Man Yoo), Esteban Cambiasso, Santiago Solari (Real Madrid)

FWD: Javier Saviola (Barcelona), Gustavo Lopez (Celta Vigo), Claudio Lopez (Lazio), Julio Cruz (Bologna), Ariel Ortega (Fenerbahce)
    Has the Holland squad been selected yet?

Sarah_old

Jul 30, 2002
    Paolo questions Camoranesi call-up

WEST HAM forward Paolo Di Canio has criticised the decision to hand Argentine-born ace Mauro German Camoranesi his first Italian call-up.

The outspoken Hammer believes it is yet another example of the contradictions that have plagued the Italian game over the years.

Di Canio also questioned Juventus` motives, claiming they have pushed Camoranesi towards Italy so as not to lose him for the large number of games Argentina play.

The debate looks likely to end next week, as Camoranesi is set to don the Azzurri shirt against Portugal, but the controversy could well continue.

A clearly unhappy Di Canio said: "He's Argentinian and not Italian.

"This thing seems to me to be an example of vulgar opportunism and the umpteenth contradiction of Italian football."

He put forward an example involving former Chelsea ace Roberto Di Matteo.

"Roberto Di Matteo was born abroad, in Switzerland, but he still chose Italy and refused Swiss call-ups."

Turin giants Juventus did not escape the wrath of Di Canio, as he added: "Moggi revealed the news despite Trapattoni asking him not to.

"He put the pressure on the Italian coach.

"Obviously Juventus will now have the convenience to have another Italian player, rather than a foreigner who would have been obliged to answer Argentina call-ups."

Source: PlanetFootball @ Feb 04, 2003

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Holden

Aug 3, 2002
    Di Canio is a cheap slag who *****es about Juve any chance he gets. I'm glad we booted him out, even though he's a good player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)