Borat (some posts contain unmarked spoilers) (2 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Oh I don't think you'll have any trouble finding support for that opinion. Personally I have no interest in it.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Interesting. I haven't seen much negative opinion about it before. What do you guys dislike about it?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Haven't seen the movie, but from watching some short clips from the tv show, there's about 40 seconds between gay jokes filled with pretty much the most obvious and immature stuff you could imagine.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    Martin said:
    Haven't seen the movie, but from watching some short clips from the tv show, there's about 40 seconds between gay jokes filled with pretty much the most obvious and immature stuff you could imagine.
    Mostly yes, but the humour isn't just the gay jokes, racist jokes or slapstick. Mostly, there's a subtext that's biting satire and a real cut at some of western culture. Mostly, he mocks all of the attitudes that he seems to be feeding.

Also, Cohen sticks to the excellent Chekov-Whedon rule: when you have a loaded chicken on set, you must fire it. I can't be give him credit for that.

EDIT: Can't not mention this given our discussion of political weasel-words in the Saddam thread: at one point he gets a big cheer for his support of "you war of terror", which is one of the finest plays on something like that I've ever heard.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    mikhail said:
    Mostly yes, but the humour isn't just the gay jokes, racist jokes or slapstick. Mostly, there's a subtext that's biting satire and a real cut at some of western culture. Mostly, he mocks all of the attitudes that he seems to be feeding.
    Even if it is that, wrapped in that kind of sticky goo it's completely unbearable to me.

mikhail said:
    Also, Cohen sticks to the excellent Chekov-Whedon rule: when you have a loaded chicken on set, you must fire it. I can't be give him credit for that.
    What is that?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    To follow up on that... Jon Stewart doesn't apologize for having an 'adult' audience. If that means some people don't get it, so be it, but the material stays at a certain level of sophistication that makes it what it is. It's precisely by not giving in to our simplest instincts that makes us funny imo.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #12
    Martin said:
    Even if it is that, wrapped in that kind of sticky goo it's completely unbearable to me.
    Fair enough.

What is that?
    Sorry, that's probably the most obscure reference I've ever made.

Anton Chekov, a famous Russian playwrite, said that "One must not put a loaded rifle on the stage if no one is thinking of firing it."

Joss Whedon, the guy behind (producer and some time director/writer) Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Serenity and screenwriter for Toy Story and Alien Ressurection among others, once 'misquoted' that, substituting "chicken" for "rifle".

In Borat, there are a couple of amusing scenes with a hen he has in his suitcase.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    mikhail said:
    Sorry, that's probably the most obscure reference I've ever made.
    Anton Chekov, a famous Russian playwrite, said that "One must not put a loaded rifle on the stage if no one is thinking of firing it."

Joss Whedon, the guy behind (producer and some time director/writer) Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Serenity and screenwriter for Toy Story and Alien Ressurection among others, once 'misquoted' that, substituting "chicken" for "rifle".

In Borat, there are a couple of amusing scenes with a hen he has in his suitcase.
    Do you mean that if a joke has obviously being set up and all you need to do is supply the punchline then you should do it? I could not disagree more, that makes it soo dull and obvious.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #15
    Martin said:
    Do you mean that if a joke has obviously being set up and all you need to do is supply the punchline then you should do it? I could not disagree more, that makes it soo dull and obvious.
    No, Chekhov's gun is a technique that helps trim the fat from a screenplay. Here's another statement of it that may make that clearer: "If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there."

The Whedon chicken version is just a joke, from a man who has demonstrated that a well-placed chicken on stage can make for a nice piece of whimsey.

*minor spoilers*
    Borat uses it mainly for two purposes: first, on the subway in New York, it 'escapes' and he chases it around a bit, adding to the discomfort of a bunch of people who had already shown themselves to be extremely hostile to him even saying "hello" to them. Later, when he seems to have lost everything, he makes the audience gasp as he seems to be about to kill and cook the hen, then lets it go with a parody of a scene familiar from lazy screenwriting, yelling "go" at it, crying, then waving a twig at it - normally used when pushing away someone because he feels hurt, or saving someone with an act of self sacrifice like in a war movie. Borat is doing both. Anyway, I appreciated the chicken-related humour slightly more because it reminded me of the Whedon quote, and I admire him enormously.
    *end of spoilers*

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
    mikhail said:
    EDIT: Can't not mention this given our discussion of political weasel-words in the Saddam thread: at one point he gets a big cheer for his support of "you war of terror", which is one of the finest plays on something like that I've ever heard.
    He indeed played that brilliantly.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
    I used to watch the Ali-G show specifically for the Borat segment....His comedy may not suit a lot of people, but it is quite entertaining watching him improv and compose himself as an absolute idiot in front of People who have no idea on what the hell is going on.. The movie was pretty damn funny if you ask me...there was some pretty childish humor but it had a lot of hidden messages geared towards the west. It lost its momentum towards the end of due to the repetition of jokes he uses over and over......although i enjoyed it very much, I expected much more of Borat.....

hambon rating= B

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    As usual (and much like the Ali G movie, which I thought was rubbish) the TV show is better than the movie modelled on it. There's something about making something for the masses that takes away a lot...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    gray said:
    As usual (and much like the Ali G movie, which I thought was rubbish) the TV show is better than the movie modelled on it. There's something about making something for the masses that takes away a lot...
    I saw the Ali G movie and some excerpts of the Borat tv show, so that means I got the axis covered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)