Books you're reading (15 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Have you read this yet? :D
Yeah. Very powerful beginning, kinda like Notes from Underground. I loved it, which pretty much goes for every his work I read so far. He's my fav writer right behind Dostoevsky tbh.

I'm currently reading Hadji Murad by Tolstoy. Not so long I was certain I can't hate any Russian work, especially from the big guys. Here am I, sitting, while being wrong. By far the worst book I read when it comes to them and I really dislike it. It takes me ages to finish it and it left a bitter taste while I still have 40 pages left. Bah. On the other hand The Death of Ivan Ilych and The Kreutzer Sonata were brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Nihilism has its appeal for a reason. But what if we were to consider that our 'feelings' already have goodness in them, a kind of evolutionary morality stitched in our DNA, that our intuition isnt all that random after all but is the culmination of millenia of experiences in the subconscious.
I always found interesting the idea of collective unconscious and Jung's theory. Now you sound just like him. :D

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Place de l’Etoile
this book is 50 year old but it only got translated to German few years ago
definitely caught my attention and I'll try more from Modiano

Phantom of the Opera
meh

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Pls, some good mystery/thriller books. Top 10? The last one I've read was Girl On a Train, if you have read something with similar thematic do share.

And All The Things We Wish Were True was decent read as well.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Pls, some good mystery/thriller books. Top 10? The last one I've read was Girl On a Train, if you have read something with similar thematic do share.

Sorry can't help there :D never read such books.

But I can recommend going to Goodreads site and register there. Mark all the books you read (mystery) so you'll get similars pop up. You can also see ratings and reviews which can be pretty great and helpful. All in all I think it's great for those who like books. But it might be me cause I love movies so I also like imdb.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012

Dashiell Hammett's The Thin Man, Red Harvest and The Dain Curse were the best mystery books I ever read. They might be quite old for your taste. I only read them 6-7 years ago and enjoyed them very much.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Recently read The Pilgrimage by Tiit Aleksejev, great book, it's a novel about the first Crusade. Few of my friends who study history said it's also pretty spot on history-wise, definitely recommend this one. Balzac And The Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie is one I re-read recently, one of my all time favorites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)