Books you're reading (3 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Kierkegaard lol, the guy was hopeless. You know this new current of "positive psychology" with all these books about how to be happy and tranquil? It's because of people like him that they invented this. :D
Haha. I've just read a letter in the danish newspaper Politiken about this. A danish sociologist writing about positive thinking being a kind of mental racism.

"This is only for the positive" to those not familiar with danish :)

I'll keep Zafon in mind though.
Please do. He's got my recommendation and about 15 million others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books#Between_10_million_and_20_million_copies

---------- Post added 30.07.2012 at 23:39 ----------

For me, the mystery genre usually comes down to, "Why the f#%$ am I reading this?" :D
The book market has been inflated by terrible ladies magazine writers. Nothing to do but avoid them. Zafon is better than that tho :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Haha. I've just read a letter in the danish newspaper Politiken about this. A danish sociologist writing about positive thinking being a kind of mental racism.

Interesting concept. I can at least partially agree with the premise. It becomes a behavioral psychology profiling issue.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Well, in a way it is, but no more than any trend, no? When something becomes popular it's bound to piss off someone, even when it's about how to be happier in life.

Oh Clavell, I like him. Ken Follett on the other hand, read one of his (in Danish of all things). He's a hack.

Eugh, Harry Potter, I regret scrolling that far.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Finished The Hobbit. It was a tad underwhelming. I remember liking The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but this one was quite flat. It'll make a good movie though.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
How many languages do you know by now Martin? By know, I mean read and understand at the least...

Edit: And you'll be glad to know that the library delivered The Bourne Supremacy earlier today :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
How many languages do you know by now Martin? By know, I mean read and understand at the least...
My favorite thing to do is read books. It's also the most effective way to break into a language (once you understand the basics of course). Until 2010 I had only ever read in my two native languages + English. Then I started exploring and by now I'm up to 13. You can see them if you click "By Languages".

It seems much more than it is though. I can have a fluent conversation in 4. I can write (with mistakes) in 6. And the rest are just something I can understand (mostly read, because spoken language is tougher) based on those 6.

---------- Post added 18.08.2012 at 18:31 ----------

Edit: And you'll be glad to know that the library delivered The Bourne Supremacy earlier today :D
I'm back to my roots with Ludlum in German. Enjoying it. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)