Books you're reading (16 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No way. The threat is often stronger than the execution.

Your first Pratchett? His first few Discworld books are relatively weak.
Perhaps, but if you threaten when you can't execute.. you've lost all your power.

Horribly boring book. I didn't finish reading it.
The thing is.. it's only a good book if you're familiar with the political situation of Europe at that time. It's also full of inside jokes really.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
How could you not find it entertaining? Never threaten to do something if you're not planning on doing it. In fact, never threaten at all. Just do it.
Horribly boring book. I didn't finish reading it.
Well, it is interesting, or I would've stopped reading it, but it's not so engrossing that I can't read just one chapter at a time.

The thing is.. it's only a good book if you're familiar with the political situation of Europe at that time. It's also full of inside jokes really.
I'm not familiar at all, but the lessons are applicable to everyday life anyway.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
just about to start "6 Graves to Munich" by Mario Puzo,not picked up a book in a while for various reasons but i am going to get through my collection of Puzo novels before finishing my collection of Ludlum novels

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
finished 6 graves to Munich in under 3 hours,certainly did not have the rich storytelling of his later work,or the depth of character you usually expect but for an enjoyable Ludlum-Lite novel it was certainly worth a quick read

ĵџvє_вãвγ

Earth Intruder
Jul 5, 2006
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, gloomy indeed, first 100-120 pages i was like "what the hell am i reading!" but despite the weak end, descriptions, the effect of two lovers lives to the others lives and character analysises were good indeed..
in high school my literature teacher wanted me to read this but instead of it i had chosen The Catcher in the Rye, luckily i hadnt read WH, i could have lost desire to the love:p

..***..

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
ĵџvє_вãвγ;2526094 said:
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, gloomy indeed, first 100-120 pages i was like "what the hell am i reading!" but despite the weak end, descriptions, the effect of two lovers lives to the others lives and character analysises were good indeed..
in high school my literature teacher wanted me to read this but instead of it i had chosen The Catcher in the Rye, luckily i hadnt read WH, i could have lost desire to the love:p

..***..
such a masterpiece.
very dark, very depressing and ruined my idea of love very much, but still..

IrishZebra

Western Imperialist
Jun 18, 2006
"Terror made me cruel; and finding it useless to attempt shaking the creature off, I pulled its wrist on to the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fro till the blood ran down and soaked the bedclothes"

Explaining Bronte to an American :tup:

Naggar

Bianconero
Sep 4, 2007
"Terror made me cruel; and finding it useless to attempt shaking the creature off, I pulled its wrist on to the broken pane, and rubbed it to and fro till the blood ran down and soaked the bedclothes"

Explaining Bronte to an American :tup:
:D
did the American get a word?

I'm beginning to enjoy The Prince more now.
Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are.

Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

There is no other way of guarding oneself against flattery than by letting men understand that they will not offend you by speaking the truth; but when everyone can tell you the truth, you lose their respect.

War cannot be avoided; it can only be postponed to the other's advantage.

He who blinded by ambition, raises himself to a position whence he cannot mount higher, must thereafter fall with the greatest loss.

I highly disagree with the book and his principles, but these quotes are just :tup:
and hey, the book is every dictator's guide until this day

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I don't disagree with the principles in the least. I think there's a whole lot more to Macchiavelli than most people generally think though.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
ĵџvє_вãвγ;2520268 said:
i didnt put cos' English edition cover is terrible but Turkish one is way nicer, that's why i chose the novel.

decide which one is better?!

English:
:wallbang:

Turkish:

..***..
Both are good :drool:

But yea the Turkish version is way "better" :D

Jul 5, 2006
Morgenrot by Tanja Heitmann , its tempo and excitement had been arranged very well but the subject wasnt attractive at all..but still i have to admit the writer was taking you to the different vampire world, unlike the other vampire stories you dont find that world charming!

..***..

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,879

Oh, boy was that long. Excellent in parts, but Stephenson always had a tendency to spend too long showing off his research. Never bothered me before, but there's a chunk of this book that just should have been cut. Very impressive overall though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)