Books you're reading (2 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I've read something interesting about a savant who said there are other ways of learning a new language. He said, to give an example, that almost all words that start with "kn" in Dutch are about round things. And you know what? He's right. If we could see these little tricks the way he does, we could be more efficient.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I've read something interesting about a savant who said there are other ways of learning a new language. He said, to give an example, that almost all words that start with "kn" in Dutch are about round things. And you know what? He's right. If we could see these little tricks the way he does, we could be more efficient.
Very true.

I feel I should do something to know more languages.

I've forgotten most of the French I learned in school and while I can just about understand articles written in Italian or Spanish, I couldn't come close to speaking them.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm deep into Smoke and Mirrors, Neil Gaiman's first collection of short stories. I haven't been blown away with his novels (I've read three, and they were all good, but overhyped), but his short stories are great.
Yeah, the quality to his writing is like almost near genius literary (fascinating and creative fantasy), IF there wasnt a big cunk of the genius equation missing. No idea why, but reading his comics and his books, he is almost a great writer, cant really pinpoint whats missing (His Sandman comic and short stories are brilliant though).

Recently read a joint book he made with Terry Pratchett, called Good Omens, is good, quite funny parody of the end of the world, but it came off bit messy at the end, fell flat. First book I read with two writers, could notice both of their dinstinctive styles, even if they have quite similar sense of humour.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #1,311
    I read Good Omens a good few years ago - I'm a Pratchett fan - and enjoyed it. I agree that it didn't quite work, but there were enough nice ideas and puns in there (including the best Elvis joke since Douglas Adams' one in one of the Hitchhikers books) that it was good fun.

I'm finally getting around to reading The Portrait of Dorian Grey. Anyone here read it?

Lion

King of Tuz
    Jan 24, 2007
    I hope they serve beer in hell by Tucker Max.

Great, great book. I cannot stop laughing from the humor in the book.

I bet you will like it Bes.

Joaco

the cronopio
    Dec 11, 2005

Yeah, it's pretty good. I've read the three first chapters so far and shows how the begin of greek philosophy is based on religion: Moira as God, which "works" as a impersonal regulator; which is based on moral (even for the Gods).
    I don't like that much greek philosophy though (pre-socratic especially), expect for Heraclito (I don't know the translation in english). But the book "motivate" you a bit.

I hope they serve beer in hell by Tucker Max.

Great, great book. I cannot stop laughing from the humor in the book.

I bet you will like it Bes.
    If you like to have a big laugh, check out Ubu Roi by Alfred Jarry. I'm pretty sure you will love it.

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
    Aug 13, 2008
    Just finished 'The Hunt for Red October' by Tom Clancy. I thought novels were boring but this book just proved me wrong, really wrong.
    Extremely amazing stuff. The detail in it is awesome and the story just gives you a 'One more page wouldn't hurt' feeling (Civilization veterans are accustomed to this tho ;))
    I suggest this to everyone, especially to people that love thrills and the Cold-War era, amazing book.

Looking forward to buying Red Storm Rising.. Soviet Invasion of Europe.. oh boy! ^^
    Also, anyone who read most of Tom Clancy's books, what other books should I check out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)