Books you're reading (4 Viewers)

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
I've got 50 € to buy books for. I haven't read a great book for a long time, most have been good or decent. I'd appreciate it if you listed some of the best books you have ever read - whether they're famous classics or unknown gems - and I'll look into the ones I haven't read.

Preferably fiction.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
The count of Monte Cristo

The shinning

It

A game of thrones (the song of ice and fire series)

The darkness that comes before (the prince of nothing series)

Watchmen

The breakfast of champions

World war Z

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I've got 50 € to buy books for. I haven't read a great book for a long time, most have been good or decent. I'd appreciate it if you listed some of the best books you have ever read - whether they're famous classics or unknown gems - and I'll look into the ones I haven't read.

Preferably fiction.
Crime and punishment

Geof

May 14, 2004
did you like it?
I sure did. I enjoy Amin Maalouf's style; he's a great storyteller and lets you enjoy and understand a lot of the culture, the geography and the history of places he takes you to.

Le rocher de Tanios is a nice story about the bastard son of a local Sheikh in the 19th century Lebanon. The village intrigues blends nicely with the bigger picture of the struggle between the Ottoman Empire and Egypt, the UK and France, always at the edge between legend and history.

Crime and punishment
Ouch. Did you ever read that? It took me months to get halfway that monster and I just gave up. It's soooo slow!

Gustav

Jul 20, 2008

Preferably fiction.
Michel Houellebecq - The Elementary Particles

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I've got to remember this. It's very well put.

You're better the way you are. You do have your comebacks from time to time, Bes is pathetic and predictable, you always know how he's going to respond. If you start taking lines from him, i'm not going to bully you anymore, won't be any fun.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Really? I loved it. It's true that it's long, but I really enjoyed the psychological ordeal piece by piece.
It was a couple of years ago, maybe I was too young to take it. I remember that guy being all feverish and sweaty in his bed amidst remorse and hallucinations; the atmosphere is so thick... it just made me feel very bad.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It was a couple of years ago, maybe I was too young to take it. I remember that guy being all feverish and sweaty in his bed amidst remorse and hallucinations; the atmosphere is so thick... it just made me feel very bad.
Oh it does that, yes. It does mess with you a bit, but then isn't that why we read books like this instead of a Donald Duck comicbook?

Geof

May 14, 2004
Oh it does that, yes. It does mess with you a bit, but then isn't that why we read books like this instead of a Donald Duck comicbook?
I guess, but after a while the book was just there on my table, looking at me with feverish eyes. The mere sight of it would fill me with disgust, so I just hid it among other books.

I'm planning to give it a second try though, some day. Maybe I should start with a "lighter" book by Dostoyevski. But does that exist?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)