Books you're reading (78 Viewers)

Natalia

Jan 18, 2006
Altair said:
so what was his take on the issue
he finds that these countries' islamic faith is not simply a matter of conscience or private belief but it makes imperial demands. and he finds that the government's use of religion has turned many muslims against their religion.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #555
    Feynman's The Pleasure of Finding Things Out - a collection of Richard Feynman's best essays and talks. Very good, though a little repetitive on the "what is science" front. He talks about his time working on the first atomic bomb - evading censorship of his mail, cracking safes and disrespecting authority. The story of how the folks at Oak Ridge came to believe that he was a genius is priceless. Worth a read.

Feynman, for those of you unfamiliar with him, was one of the finest theoretical physicists of the 20th century. He was still working on his PhD when he was asked to help with developing the bomb. He stopped work on his thesis to do just that. His PhD thesis was a revolutionary combination of relativity and quantum mechanics which allowed accurate calculations on quantum electro-dynamics be made, allowing experimental verification of a theory that was at that time considered enormously mathematically difficuly. That won him the Nobel Prize. Most importantly, he could play the bongos with ten beats of his right hand to eleven of his left, and could really tell a story.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #558
    Altair said:
    proponent of string theory ?
    Not that I recall, but I'm less sure of his later work. He worked mostly on fundamental particle physics, so it's possible.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    mikhail said:
    Not that I recall, but I'm less sure of his later work. He worked mostly on fundamental particle physics, so it's possible.

supposedly his diagrams helped cement the theory but i am not sure what his position was. Definitely a cool cat that feynman, are you in engineering school?

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #560
    Altair said:
    supposedly his diagrams helped cement the theory but i am not sure what his position was. Definitely a cool cat that feynman, are you in engineering school?
    I'm a grad student in electronic engineering. It wasn't coursework though. :smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 74)