Books you're reading (20 Viewers)

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Has anyone read Matheson's "I Am Legend" ? I just saw a trailer for the movie, the third movie adaption of the book, and I'm interested in reading it. I never "read" a book as an audio-book and I don't know why but I chosen this to be my first.

Any impressions?

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #704
    It's supposed to be a little slow in places, but excellent overall. I haven't read it myself though.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    The Godfather, the Lost Years - Mark Winegardner.
    I thought it might be worth advising anyone considering buying this book...
    Mario Puzo he's not, irrespective of what the English Daily Express & Daily Telegraph critics would have you believe & he gets downright lewd at times which is way out of context for the late 1950's! It spans 1955-1962 which in fact is also covered by Godfather 2. What he actually does for the most part is merely add more information on certain Godfather & Godfather 2 events & he'd really have been better & a lot more accurate by covering 1962-1978 which are the missing years, leading up to Godfather 3. In it's way it's well enough researched & written but it doesn't compare with Puzo's Godfathers 1, & 2.
    What I want to know is, when are they going to make a movie of Puzo's final beautiful novel "Omerta" which to all intents & purposes brings the American "Cosa Nostra" & the Italian "Friends of the Friends" into the new millenium???!!!
    Which reminds me, I'll have to mention the Canadian made mini series of Puzo's "The Last Don" 1 & 2 in the movies section.
    well than you for that i was close to buying this recently but decided to go later. i just finished Puzo's The Sicillian which was excellent. having read Cosa Nostra last year i had a better insight into the legend of Salvatore Gulliano and puzo does well to flesh out the legend, romanticising it a bit and making him a real robin hood character.

may just have to settle for omerta instead

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
    May 27, 2007
    may just have to settle for omerta instead
    You won't be sorry. As for Turi Giuliano, quite excellent. There was another book "The Kingdom Of Johnny Cool," (alias Johnny Collini) by John McPartland (still available from Amazon, £2.50) back in the late 50's about how the Mafia supposedly faked Giuliano's death in 1950 & how they brought him to the US a year after hiding him in Rome & preparing him to do all they asked, but being Giuliano, he wanted to be a Don & they had to finally get rid of him...they didn't kill him, they beat him up so badly he was left like a vegetable. There's those who say that book is a true story, & it's a lot more explicit than the 1964 movie Johnny Cool which for legal reasons, calls him Salvatore Giordano! If you ever get to see the film, look for Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) as Dare Guiness, Telly Savalas, & rat packers Joey Bishop & Sammy Davis.

Lilith

Immortelle
    May 19, 2006
    Oh you haven't heard? :D
    :p

:D

Anyway I avoided this thread like the plague in case spoilers did show...guess I didn't have to afterall. :p

Spoilers ahead:

It was okay...didn't really fall in love with the happily ever after ending for the trio at the end. I was hoping that at least one of them would die.

The blood tie thing (if anyone beside me here has read the book :p) was also very confusing. I got the fact that Harry was one of Voldemort's horcruxes and when Harry "died" Voldermort's fragmented soul was removed from Harry, but did that mean that the blood tie, which in my mind was an entirely different thing to the Horcrux, was removed too? :S Rowling left me with the impression that the blood tie meant that both had to die...

Oh and the epilogue...I had to skim over it pretty quickly to avoid wretching my guts out...it was that corny/cheesy/bad. I mean c'mon!

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    Currently reading "Last Don" by M.Puzzo
    just finished the bancroft strategy by robert ludlum, big fan of his

so i just started reading the godfather by mario puzo, having recently read the sicillian i thought it was about time to read the book he is best known for

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #717
    I finished Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown last night.

It's about a wide range of techniques Brown uses in his shows, from simple magic tricks to memory tricks to hypnotism to cold reading. It's also highly critical of alternative medicine, religion, pseudo-science and fraudulent psychics, written from the perspective of someone who uses many of the techniques which are often employed to make those things seem real. Brown has a nice writing style, jaunty and occasionally silly (I'll paraphrase, "I used to have a neighbour called Mike. (Actually, that's not his real name, to save him embarrassment. His real name is Guy.) Mike was dating a minor actress who was into reiki at the time." and in the afterword "When I began writing this book yesterday afternoon, I worried...").

Worth a read if you're not the kind to be offended by the odd pot shot at religion.

Eddy

The Maestro
    Aug 20, 2005
    Has anyone read Matheson's "I Am Legend" ? I just saw a trailer for the movie, the third movie adaption of the book, and I'm interested in reading it. I never "read" a book as an audio-book and I don't know why but I chosen this to be my first.

Any impressions?
    the trailer was insane, i cant wait

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I'm reading A Season With Verona and Se Questo È Un Uomo at the moment. Yeah, I love reading several books at the same time. Anyway, the first is quite simply very gripping, I just keep on reading. The second is rather difficult, but well written. Both books I'd recommend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)