Books you're reading (18 Viewers)

Jun 7, 2003
It's one of the biggest treasures when you dig into Serbian literature. Selimovic is brilliant. You'll make no mistake to keep on reading his stuff. Just skip on reading The Circle imo. Oh and read Kis if you haven't. He's a gem.

I'm not an expert on Kapor. I have his books but I'm yet to read his best work.
Okay, thank you for the recommendation. Which book you personally think is the best book of Selimovic?
I know Kis, i think there must be The Encyclopedia of the Dead somewhere in my book shelf. Didn't have the time to read it yet.

I recognize also your avatar now, i watched last week Ivan's Childhood.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Okay, thank you for the recommendation. Which book you personally think is the best book of Selimovic?
I know Kis, i think there must be The Encyclopedia of the Dead somewhere in my book shelf. Didn't have the time to read it yet.

I recognize also your avatar now, i watched last week Ivan's Childhood.
Be sure to read A Tomb for Boris Davidovich from Kis. He also has a trilogy which is amazing. The way he writes about youth and growing up is levels ahead of Salinger imo.

The Island and Silence are amazing books. I'm yet to read The Fortress but I'd easily recommend that one even without reading it, as I know the background and critics view on it, it's a 95% chance of being great as the first two, if not better.

Oh yeah. I'm a huge Tarkovsky fan. :))

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Sorry @suligodsilla I thought I responded here already.

I finished short stories from Laza Lazarevic and they were great. Then I gave a shot to a new author and boy... what a discovery. @Post Ironic @GordoDeCentral I bought two books written by Goran Petrovic. He's probably our best writer that's still alive and not just that but I think he's simply incredible. First book, Inside Garden (not sure of the translation) showed his style and how nice and sweet it is. It seems like a mixture of Selimovic and Kis to me, rather unique. I really liked it and I'd list it as one of the better books I read over the last two years. Then, as I was left impressed, went on another book (I'm currently on that one) which is The Siege of the Church of Saint Salvation. Man, not only he's totally different in his style, but the epicness of this book is beyond amazing imo. Gotta say that this book is like ten times tougher to read the previous one but totally worth it. I did some googling on him as he's not quite famous here (read: barely anyone reads him) only to notice that he literally won all of awards among critics. Not just that, what impressed me the most is his book The Siege of the Church of Saint Salvation which entered top 10 best books in France a couple of years ago, which is fucking insane @Raphaël maybe you can confirm this. How does French literature look nowadays? To me it was always a special place in the literature world. His books are translated in 20 different languages so just to you guys a heads up as he's totally worth reading.

Now, what surprised me was how little book he has. Then what I discovered was that he's working on a chain of books which he'll finish quite soon probably. And it's 8-10 books, most likely possible to read on their own, although they are supposed to be connected. He's working on those for 18 years now. Btw, I'm pretty sure his name is gonna echo in the next 10, 20, 50 years as one of the best writes. Mark my words we'll witness that...if corona doesn't kill the planet.

Apr 17, 2013
@Dostoevsky
Thank you I didn't know, I have a weakness on Eastern European literature.

Here is a non-exclusive list of recent French-speaking writer that I liked (my top 3 all time Romain Gary, Jules Vernes and Louis Ferdinand Celine)

Joel Dicker: The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair
Michel Houellebecq: Whatever , The Map and the Territory, The Elementary Particles
Maylis de Kerangal: The Heart; Birth of a Bridge
Dany Laferrière (Haitian-Canadian): The Return
Amin Maalouf: The Rock of Tanios
Virginie Despentes: Vernon Subutex
Leïla Slimani: Lullaby
Jonathan Littell : The Kindly Ones
Sylvain Tesson: The Consolations of the Forest; The snow leopard
Édouard Louis : The End of Eddy

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
@Dostoevsky
Thank you I didn't know, I have a weakness on Eastern European literature.

Here is a non-exclusive list of recent French-speaking writer that I liked (my top 3 all time Romain Gary, Jules Vernes and Louis Ferdinand Celine)

Joel Dicker: The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair
Michel Houellebecq: Whatever , The Map and the Territory, The Elementary Particles
Maylis de Kerangal: The Heart; Birth of a Bridge
Dany Laferrière (Haitian-Canadian): The Return
Amin Maalouf: The Rock of Tanios
Virginie Despentes: Vernon Subutex
Leïla Slimani: Lullaby
Jonathan Littell : The Kindly Ones
Sylvain Tesson: The Consolations of the Forest; The snow leopard
Édouard Louis : The End of Eddy
on s en fout si il etait facho

IMG_20200405_034547.jpg

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Anybody interested in economic books? Recently started reading Currency Wars by Song Hongbing and it's been promising so far. During the first 100 pages the author explained how the Rothschild fortune was created and the quarrel around the creation of a central bank in America (currently FED).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)