Books you're reading (6 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Started reading 'An Introduction to Philosophy' by George Stuart Fullerton, something I came across on Amazon Kindle and thought I'd check it out cos it was free. I hope I finish reading this one for a change. :D
I've read two or three such introductions, they're quite useful.

---------- Post added 11.07.2012 at 09:39 ----------

Just finished reading all of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Great stuff. Kept me hooked for a good two and a half months.

Anyone has a suggestion for a book worth checking out? I am thinking of turning more towards some of the classics as I feel I haven't even scratched the surface in that regard. Yet I have no idea where to start.
There are classics of all kinds. What kind of books do you like generally?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Brandmon

Juventuz irregular
Aug 13, 2008
I've read two or three such introductions, they're quite useful.

---------- Post added 11.07.2012 at 09:39 ----------

There are classics of all kinds. What kind of books do you like generally?
Anything really, except romance novels. And detective stories will be on hold for a while. But if I had to point towards a certain genre I wish to check out at this point of time, I'd say it would be some of the more thought provoking fiction. Maybe something along the lines of Political/Philosophical Fiction. I had read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm last year and I greatly enjoyed them. But I haven't read anything along those lines since. What I had in mind was Tolstoy's War and Peace but the 1000+ pages scare me a bit. So I am open for other suggestions. But Ayn Rand is a no-no.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Anything really, except romance novels. And detective stories will be on hold for a while. But if I had to point towards a certain genre I wish to check out at this point of time, I'd say it would be some of the more thought provoking fiction. Maybe something along the lines of Political/Philosophical Fiction. I had read Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm last year and I greatly enjoyed them. But I haven't read anything along those lines since. What I had in mind was Tolstoy's War and Peace but the 1000+ pages scare me a bit. So I am open for other suggestions. But Ayn Rand is a no-no.
Then you're looking for Brave New World.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Started a new book: Der Prometheus Verrat. I've read one page, hard as feck. :D

The tricky thing is I don't really have an ear for German, never really paid much attention to it. So the pronunciation is a lot of guesswork and German is surprisingly unintuitive when it comes to pronunciation.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Does anybody else buy this seasonal affiliation with books? You know, how there's designated "Summer reading" of lighter novels and the like. With the presumption that winter is all your Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, etc. Crap like this.

I call bullcrap on all that. Books have no seasonality more than movies or music. It's a farce. Why do people persist with this? Is this to better target and sell books? Is this antiquated today and nobody has figured it out yet?

Why do we even still buy into this logic? Even television no longer has the "summer replacement" mindset towards TV series, etc.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Does anybody else buy this seasonal affiliation with books? You know, how there's designated "Summer reading" of lighter novels and the like. With the presumption that winter is all your Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, etc. Crap like this.

I call bullcrap on all that. Books have no seasonality more than movies or music. It's a farce. Why do people persist with this? Is this to better target and sell books? Is this antiquated today and nobody has figured it out yet?

Why do we even still buy into this logic? Even television no longer has the "summer replacement" mindset towards TV series, etc.
I think it is just that association with school; you read "intelligent" books during the school year, and are free to read whatever you want (i.e. garbage, as they think we're all stupid) over the summer. Also things like Plato's Republic (one of my summer required reads in 8th Grade) isn't really the sort of thing one can relax to on the beach.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

I don't read Tolstoy and I'm done with Dostoyevsky. Enough is enough.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think it is just that association with school; you read "intelligent" books during the school year, and are free to read whatever you want (i.e. garbage, as they think we're all stupid) over the summer. Also things like Plato's Republic (one of my summer required reads in 8th Grade) isn't really the sort of thing one can relax to on the beach.
You think? But half the people coming up with these "summer books" promotions haven't been in school for 30 years. Are our reading habits some kind of Freudian throwback to our childhood that we can't escape?

I don't read Tolstoy and I'm done with Dostoyevsky. Enough is enough.
I like Dusty. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)