Books you're reading (12 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
How would you rate it for someone of my level of Italian? Easy enough to read?
Medium-ish. Certainly easier than Il nome della rosa which includes quite a few archaisisms on purpose, but actually that one was easier than I expected too. The story is set in Paris so you'll get a kick out of the frequent quips in French. I think you can read it without too much trouble.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
Medium-ish. Certainly easier than Il nome della rosa which includes quite a few archaisisms on purpose, but actually that one was easier than I expected too. The story is set in Paris so you'll get a kick out of the frequent quips in French. I think you can read it without too much trouble.
I will have to look for it, then. It still takes me quite some time to get through them sometimes (lots of vocabulary learning), but I find it the best way to learn for now. :)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I will have to look for it, then. It still takes me quite some time to get through them sometimes (lots of vocabulary learning), but I find it the best way to learn for now. :)
You can accelerate your vocabulary with flash cards if you feel up to it. I did that quite widely at first, but now I just use it in specific domains, namely when I start a language and I need to know a lot of basic words. But also now that I have go through documents about taxes and insurance (boring but unavoidable) it helps me to digest this terminology faster so it'll hurt less next time I read the same kind of thing.

Kate

Feb 7, 2011
You can accelerate your vocabulary with flash cards if you feel up to it. I did that quite widely at first, but now I just use it in specific domains, namely when I start a language and I need to know a lot of basic words. But also now that I have go through documents about taxes and insurance (boring but unavoidable) it helps me to digest this terminology faster so it'll hurt less next time I read the same kind of thing.
I have never had much luck with flashcards; I get bored very easily and don't tend to retain the information. Whereas if I see it along the course of reading, or if I hear it in a song and look it up, I'll remember it for next time. I think that is likely due to the combination of learning through application and there being a smaller amount of information to take in.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I have never had much luck with flashcards; I get bored very easily and don't tend to retain the information. Whereas if I see it along the course of reading, or if I hear it in a song and look it up, I'll remember it for next time. I think that is likely due to the combination of learning through application and there being a smaller amount of information to take in.
You mean paper flashcards? Here's what I use: http://ankisrs.net/

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Currently reading the 2nd part of a book about a former danish primeminister called Jens Otto Krag as well as 'Ethics for Amador' by Fernando Savater.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I've got three books on the go at the moment

Life - Keith Richards - A really interesting read, all its made me want to do is get back and start jamming the blues with my friends again. He devotes like 100 pages of telling storied about how gnarly it was in the 60s living in fulham just jamming all day and all night, sounds amazing.

We Need to Talk About Kelvin - i cant remember who wrote it and its in my big pack. Its a book about physics and how basic things we can observe everyday can explain the universe. Its a good read, but it gets a bit heavy.

Understanding Body Language - A really good read, fairly obvious what its about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)