Blasi back on the NT and ALEX (11 Viewers)

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Azzurri: Lippi looks to Grosso Friday 7 October, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi is putting his faith in local hero Fabio Grosso against Slovenia and has experimented with Luca Toni and Alberto Gilardino upfront.

“I have no doubts over my line-up, as Gianluca Zambrotta will be on the right and Fabio Grosso on the left,” explained the Italy boss ahead of Saturday’s World Cup qualifier.

The versatility of Juventus star Zambrotta is a key factor for the Azzurri, as he can play on either flank in a full-back or wide midfield position.

“I want to make the most of Grosso’s crossing abilities and his current form, so I will switch Zambrotta over to the right to make room. I thought about it for a little while, but now I have no doubts it is the right choice, especially as we are playing in Palermo.”

Grosso is one of several Rosanero players who have made their mark on the current campaign and he’ll be a local hero when the teams run out in the Stadio Renzo Barbera tomorrow evening.

Former Palermo striker Toni is also set to start after his hat-trick against Belarus, but he could get an intriguing new partner. During the training session, Lippi experimented with Toni and Milan’s Gilardino for a powerful front two.

Gilardino has been struggling since his move to the San Siro and has scored just two goals in six games for the Rossoneri, though the Coach refused to be drawn on what his choice of centre-forwards would be. Only a point is needed against Slovenia to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, but Italy lost the reverse fixture 1-0 – their last defeat in official competition.

“We know that we’ll be playing against a side that’ll do everything it can to beat us and maintain its own hope of qualifying,” noted Lippi.

“I told the lads to put themselves in Slovenia’s shoes, as they have only one result that would help them. We must be wary, as I expect an entertaining and hard-fought game of football. I want to see an Italy performance that is solid and determined. This game is worth more than the result, as we need a good show to increase our confidence.”

There was concern for Fabio Cannavaro during today’s training session when he left the field after a clash of heads with his former Inter teammate Marco Materazzi. The Nerazzurri defender was medicated for a cut to the forehead, but Cannavaro underwent tests after suffering dizzy spells. Medical staff assure both will be fit to face Slovenia

source: channel4.com

Zambro as RB again.

Dec 26, 2004
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++

he will be always totti sub
Sorry to disappoint ya, but they r not playing in the same position... never were...

It is like saying Gattuso will never had a playing chance since we have Buffon ( Sorry I've tried my best but I couldn't find a suitable smile for yar situation)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
did dp played yesterday against slovania , how did he perform?

i did not see the match , but i am sure he did nothing major IF HE PLAYED :D

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
did dp played yesterday against slovania , how did he perform?

i did not see the match , but i am sure he did nothing major IF HE PLAYED :D
How funny you could be, sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)