Blaise Matuidi (9 Viewers)

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
what im saying is you have to look at both level of play and value on the market, not just one of the 2. once he starts declining you will be stuck with a player no one wants to give a decent offer for, which is why you have to anticipate that and sell at the right moment. he will still be a good reserve player when he drops a level or 2, so him staying is also fine by me, but not the preferred scenario.

i dont undervalue experience, on the contrary actually. im not saying we should have let go of our veterans and bring in these kids. but if we sold Khedira in the summer and got a Barella/Pellegrini/whoever, that play and Bentancur would already have some of that necessary experience to take on a bigger role in the 19-20 season, as opposed to letting Khedira walk now and get that same Barella/Pellgrini to sit next to Bentancur while we play Matuidi and Ramsey. so at what point are you gonna rely on those guys exactly? its the same with Rugani in defense, hes here for what, almost 4 years already? if you rate him enough to want more than 40M from Chelsea for him, then you should have confidence in him getting a bigger role in the CL. you dont have Barzagli ahead of him, you sell Benatia in the summer when hes still at his peak in terms of value, you keep Caldara and make him/Rugani the 3rd choice CB (not just in Serie A, in CL as well). and thats how you build these young guys into future champions... back to what i was saying. we sell Khedira last summer. we dont sign Emre Can. we sign a starter caliber mid and instead of Can add a young player with more potential, and thats a better situation than we have right now. now you are forced to play these kids more and we dont complain about their lack of experience when we need them to step up.

im not talking about regaining money, im talking about making money. if Benatia and Khedira left in the summer, thats what 20-25M of incoming transfer fee and 8M net in wages off the books. instead, we will get 10M for Mehdi (replace him with a semi retired journeyman, instead of having Caldara) and zero for Sami. the way we operate, you can expect the same for Matuidi as well. im suggesting maybe we should do it differently from now on, since our revenue doesent allow us to have 200M mercatos each summer. and please, dont mention Ronaldo. the guy is a money printing machine for himself and the club he plays for. hes a bargain even for how much we spent because of both the quality and the unmatched marketing aspect he brings. we spent 90M/7.5M net a year wages on Higuain after getting 100M for Pogba, and he still was a killer on the books, so we had to let him go after just 2 seasons.
Midfield:

We couldn't get another midfielder instead of Can for Khedira because such player cost money and we spent 150mln on CR and Cancelo. Not to mention it wouldn't be a wise idea to have Pellegrini/Barella instead of Khedira next to 20yo Bentancur who barely played last season, new player in Emre Can and only two 100% reliable players in Pjanic and Matuidi. You can do such things at Napoli, not in a club who want to win NOW.

Defence:

Basically the same argument as above. You wanted to have Caldara and Rugani right after Chiellini in the pecking order with Barzagli as the only backup (because we'd sell Benatia along with Khedira for 20/25m as you suggested). Just look how our situation would be now: only two healthy CBs. Whereas in reality we have two top experienced and gelled CBs in Leo and Giorgio, backed by Rugani, Benatia and Barzagli. Obviously Medhi is gone since recently but no one could have expected he's gonna become such a bitch.

To sum up, you have totally different goals and expectations than the club has in reality. They built a reliable team to conquer Europe this season while you want to take take risk on some young prospects that may or may not fulfill their potential in the FUTURE.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nedved96

Sep 1, 2017
Not to mention it wouldn't be a wise idea to have Pellegrini/Barella instead of Khedira next to 20yo Bentancur who barely played last season, new player in Emre Can and only two 100% reliable players in Pjanic and Matuidi.
Experience is overrated.

There is no point in being “experienced” like Khedira if you are slow as fuck, can’t make a creative pass, or dribble.

If we played Barca in the CL tomorrow, I would much rather have Barella in my midfield than Khedira.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yup.

A combination, or lets say, a balance of both is needed.

The thing is that experience can be won over the years, while talent cannot be taught. But talent can be nurtured with experience, while experience without talent will not achieve the same.

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
Experience is overrated.

There is no point in being “experienced” like Khedira if you are slow as fuck, can’t make a creative pass, or dribble.

If we played Barca in the CL tomorrow, I would much rather have Barella in my midfield than Khedira.
Well this is an incredibly original opinion. Please recall introduction of what two players as subs changed the game at Wembley. What players contributed to goals in both Wembley and Madrid games last season.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Midfield:

We couldn't get another midfielder instead of Can for Khedira because such player cost money and we spent 150mln on CR and Cancelo. Not to mention it wouldn't be a wise idea to have Pellegrini/Barella instead of Khedira next to 20yo Bentancur who barely played last season, new player in Emre Can and only two 100% reliable players in Pjanic and Matuidi. You can do such things at Napoli, not in a club who want to win NOW.

Defence:

Basically the same argument as above. You wanted to have Caldara and Rugani right after Chiellini in the pecking order with Barzagli as the only backup (because we'd sell Benatia along with Khedira for 20/25m as you suggested). Just look how our situation would be now: only two healthy CBs. Whereas in reality we have two top experienced and gelled CBs in Leo and Giorgio, backed by Rugani, Benatia and Barzagli. Obviously Medhi is gone since recently but no one could have expected he's gonna become such a bitch.

To sum up, you have totally different goals and expectations than the club has in reality. They built a reliable team to conquer Europe this season while you want to take take risk on some young prospects that may or may not fulfill their potential in the FUTURE.
i dont buy that. we spent 16M on Can, gave him 5M a year net. we apparently extended Sami for 6M a year net (still not sure if its 6M, as i didnt read it on a reliable source yet) instead of selling him. i dont buy that we couldnt get anyone, we just didnt try or picked the (imo) wrong players. Torreira, Fabinho, Jorginho, Strootman, Kovacic, Nzonzi, just some of the names that changed clubs this summer and that could have been a starter next to Pjanic-Matuidi. then you have guys that "almost" left their clubs but stayed put for whatever reason, like Tottenhams Dembele who was linked with us for a while. opportunities were there, its us that skipped them.

i wanted to stay put actually. Chiellini, Benatia, Rugani, Caldara. then you add Bonucci for Higuain/Benatia if you can, but its not an absolute must. and no one could expected this, seriously? we played him what, 5 times in 6 months? and you wonder why he was bitching? that is something you expect and plan for, not be stuck with Caceres once it hits you out of the blue

- - - Updated - - -

Experience is overrated.

nah, you need experience. but you let your young talented players gain experience by giving them minutes in the tough games. Max is doing it with Bentancur this season (partly because he was forced to i admit) and that will benefit us in the long run. now we might be forced to do the same with Rugani due to Bonuccis injury. hopefully he claims the starting spot and keeps it for the rest of the season

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012
i dont buy that. we spent 16M on Can, gave him 5M a year net. we apparently extended Sami for 6M a year net (still not sure if its 6M, as i didnt read it on a reliable source yet) instead of selling him. i dont buy that we couldnt get anyone, we just didnt try or picked the (imo) wrong players. Torreira, Fabinho, Jorginho, Strootman, Kovacic, Nzonzi, just some of the names that changed clubs this summer and that could have been a starter next to Pjanic-Matuidi. then you have guys that "almost" left their clubs but stayed put for whatever reason, like Tottenhams Dembele who was linked with us for a while. opportunities were there, its us that skipped them.

i wanted to stay put actually. Chiellini, Benatia, Rugani, Caldara. then you add Bonucci for Higuain/Benatia if you can, but its not an absolute must. and no one could expected this, seriously? we played him what, 5 times in 6 months? and you wonder why he was bitching? that is something you expect and plan for, not be stuck with Caceres once it hits you out of the blue

- - - Updated - - -

nah, you need experience. but you let your young talented players gain experience by giving them minutes in the tough games. Max is doing it with Bentancur this season (partly because he was forced to i admit) and that will benefit us in the long run. now we might be forced to do the same with Rugani due to Bonuccis injury. hopefully he claims the starting spot and keeps it for the rest of the season
Out of the players you mentioned only Jorginho and Fabinho would improve our midfield. Both of them went for more than 50mln during the summer.

Wysłane z mojego FRD-L09 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Torreira and Kovacic for sure. Not so sure about Nzonzi and Strootman (those guys were good 2-3 seasons ago). Fabinho and Jorginho most definitely would, as would Allan and Keita.

Also, spending over 50 million for a quality midfielder is nothing by today's mercato standards. We should definitely be looking into getting at least one high quality midfielder this summer, instead of looking for freebies and gap fillers. Our current midfield is pathetic compared to what we used to possess only 3 seasons ago; of course I don't expect us to have a midfield like that, possibly ever again, but we should be doing better.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
He's right though. Ideally, we should be look for a Matuidi replacement sooner rather than later. Players like him decline steeply as he's all brawn and no brain. He relies so much on his athleticism that even fundamental things like his first touch aren't always up to par - especially when he's knackered like he looked last night. Seeing that he's 32 this year, it could be a case that he could turn crap almost overnight. He's key to the side as he covers the ground of 2 players but he should be replaced sooner rather than later. Or at least someone who will eventually takeover from him should be groomed from now.
Just let Berna play in his position and we’re fine.

Apr 29, 2006
Just for the record Matuidi doesn't cost just 30 mln (peanuts), but has another 15 mils in bonuses. The only bonus we haven't paid(I suppose) is winning CL(hopefully we will) and it certainly isn't the entire amount. That's what I heard on my Balkanton Sport radio anyhow.

Before the usual Matuidi snake lovers sneak in search for their medicine - a midfield ''entertainer'', I have to ask them why can they not see Can fulfilling the same 'duties'? Certainly he has the camaraderie and masculinity. :cool:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
So much mental illness here :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Just for the record Matuidi doesn't cost just 30 mln (peanuts), but has another 15 mils in bonuses. The only bonus we haven't paid(I suppose) is winning CL(hopefully we will) and it certainly isn't the entire amount. That's what I heard on my Balkanton Sport radio anyhow.

Before the usual Matuidi snake lovers sneak in search for their medicine - a midfield ''entertainer'', I have to ask them why can they not see Can fulfilling the same 'duties'? Certainly he has the camaraderie and masculinity. :cool:
Just for the record, Balkanton Sport Radio and yourself have no idea what you are talking about. The maximum we can pay is 30.5mil after bonuses.

Turin, 18 August 2017 - Juventus Football Club S.p.A. announces that the agreement with SASP Paris Saint- Germain Football for the definitive acquisition of the registration rights of the player Blaise Matuidi has been finalized for a consideration of € 20 million payable in 3 financial years.

The purchase value may increase by a further maximum of € 10,5 million on the number of player’s appearances in Juventus official matches in the next three seasons.

Juventus and the player have signed a 3-year contract of employment until 30 June 2020.
http://www.juventus.com/media/native/investor-relations-docs/english/price-sensitive-press-releases/2017-2018/comunicato 18082017 matuidi eng.pdf

And it was something like he must play 70% of our competitive matches over the 3 year contract for us to owe the full 10.5m. @Mark

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
It was a good transfer at that time and he did well here in general. Next summer though we should move on. His game is based on atleticism, he will be 32 yo and that kind of player fades away sooner.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
I see no reason to get rid of him. He's a role model professional (unlike drunkturo or belgian drunkturo) and still in great shape, add that we probably wouldn't get much for him.

There are other, less important mids we can bank in on. Release Sami, sell wannabe Sami.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)