Blaise Matuidi (46 Viewers)

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Soon enough he'll be Rabiot's sub to close down games and play some odd ones here an there. That's inevitable.

I'd be actually surprised if the club offered him a renewal. He'll be useful this season but eventually he'll have to go and we'll need to look for a more complete and younger B2B elsewhere come next Summer.

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Hes not a sub tho thats the problem hes a starter and he kills every attacking play even against napolli in second half he was doing the same. Ronaldos second season here and you have a guy beside him that cant control a pass and runs out play with hes first touch.
he is a starter until rabiot is ready. i dont think we acquired rabiot to sit him on the bench.

calma

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Absolutely outrageous this clown made the CL team :lol:
Having lungs is never a bad thing. The guy even got an assist against Napoli and even could have scored. He suddenly started to look like a football player under Sarri. Limited player but can be useful.

Just don't renew his contract, with time Rabiot will take over his place.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Lol winner in the mighty French Ligue 1.

Whew. Not sure how I missed that in the super competitive league that obviously isn’t a one horse race.

- - - Updated - - -

Under max, sure. Under Sarri, don’t think he has the technical ability to keep up.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012

Whew. Not sure how I missed that in the super competitive league that obviously isn’t a one horse race.

- - - Updated - - -

Under max, sure. Under Sarri, don’t think he has the technical ability to keep up.
On the other hand the guy has an engine, he's perfect for pressing and closes down spaces very well. Khedira also knows how to move, against Napoli it was visible very well.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

I think what he lacks in technique, he makes up for in relentless (headdown) running and pressing. I think Sarri sees huge value in that on the leftside of his midfield. Especially in matches when Khedira is starting and therefore you've got a midfielder who doesn't have an engine and doesn't have the relentless pressing ability and instead relies on positional awareness. Matuidi makes up for Khedira in pressing and Khedira makes up for Matuidi in positional awareness. Can't see either being a huge midfield piece on a CL winning squad though. The goal should be a Pjanic/Rabiot/Ramsey midfield imo but that relies a lot on Ramsey.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
tbf he was very good against Napoli
completely agree. Matuidi's running is useful against challenging teams who will have a lot of possession against so it actually makes sense he is in our CL squad because those are the games in which he will be most useful.

what doesnt make sense, where he is not needed, is against weak serie A sides

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
As much as i dislike matuidi's amateurish football skills.... He has one clear characteristic in which he excels, and that is his physical and pressing game.

Emre can has nothing of this with consistency, and he is not better technically than the other midfielders we have in other aspects, so yes i would have chosen matuidi over can any day of the week.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I think what he lacks in technique, he makes up for in relentless (headdown) running and pressing. I think Sarri sees huge value in that on the leftside of his midfield. Especially in matches when Khedira is starting and therefore you've got a midfielder who doesn't have an engine and doesn't have the relentless pressing ability and instead relies on positional awareness. Matuidi makes up for Khedira in pressing and Khedira makes up for Matuidi in positional awareness. Can't see either being a huge midfield piece on a CL winning squad though. The goal should be a Pjanic/Rabiot/Ramsey midfield imo but that relies a lot on Ramsey.
I agree. His lack of technique causes us a lot of heartache in attack. For this, I'm not certain he is going to sustain any kind of good form when our entire gameplay revolves around quick ball movement and needed to control the ball quickly if you can one time it. He suffers sooooo much in that.

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017
People talk about he can only press and is useless at other things, but leave out the part that he assisted Higuain and set up Costa before the Ronaldo goal. Khedira is now rightfully being praised but he wasn't even involved in none of the goals. Matuidi set up two and people still hating on him.

He's becoming underrated here.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I mean, I'm all for being proven wrong here. Loved it when he came and how he started, but he aint that same guy. He started of well this season, I'll give him that. If Sarri manages to figure something out where his engine is more important than possession in that part of the pitch with Ronaldo, then go for it. I'm skeptical. Hope I'm wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

People talk about he can only press and is useless at other things, but leave out the part that he assisted Higuain and set up Costa before the Ronaldo goal. Khedira is now rightfully being praised but he wasn't even involved in none of the goals. Matuidi set up two and people still hating on him.

One game.

One friggin game. Where was that allll last season? Dybala started last season on fire too, that changed. After a pretty dismal season last year, I think its same to stay Matuidi should be proving people wrong and have a mission this year to cement himself as a starter.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as Sami being praised, yeah, on the same damn thing...ONE GAME. How many people are skeptical of Sami still but suddenly its a crime to be skeptical of Matuidi for the same issues of consistency?

james95

Sep 2, 2018

Despite all that, his flaws were still on full show for everyone to see. He struggled with ball retention and clumsily mis-controlled the ball at key phases of the game when under little pressure. I like his attitude and engine but he shouldn't be a long-term solution in that role this season. Rabiot must be eased in sooner than later. Matuidi would make a great sub/back up though.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
it's not ONE game.

you, being the typical ovedramatic tuzzer like jck or B81 just keep repeating same things, so you think its true

MAtuidi had 3 goals and 2 assists last season. and thats just his direct contribtuion, not counting other aspects.

also, you don't know what Sarri demands of his first 11, because you didnt watch Chelsea or Napoli play for more than a game here and there, Osman wannabe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)