Biggest waste of a talent in football (2 Viewers)

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
Not living up to someone's promise does not equal wasted talent. Young players often get hyped beyond recognition. I think for instance that Quaresma wasn't as good as people made him out to be. He had a longer career than most and was just average for 15 years. Same goes for a lot of the Italian players being mentioned here.

Last edited:

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Not living up to someone's promise does not equal wasted talent. Young players often get hyped beyond recognition. I think for instance that Quaresma wasn't as good as people made him out to be. He had a longer career than most and was just average for 15 years. Same goes for a lot of the Italian players being mentioned here.
Quaresma has (had?) a lot of skill on the ball, thats the sort of thing that usually gets attributed to talent

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
Quaresma has (had?) a lot of skill on the ball, thats the sort of thing that usually gets attributed to talent
True, flashy players are often regarded as being talented. But being good on the ball is just one aspect of being talented. If you have other drawbacks that have hampered your career (intelligence, positioning, consistency etc.) I would say you never were a very talented player to begin with.

People often blame mentality, consistency or intelligence for getting in the way of players realising their full potential, as if those qualities can just be easily picked up. I think natural abilities in those areas are just as real as those in the technical areas of the game.

Last edited:

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Caliber of talent we are talking about matters..For Bendtner level, he was lucky he touched foot in Turin, this fucker over achieved in life if anything.
Unpopular opinion, and I know he's got a WC etc. but again level of talent/achievements. Ronaldinho. Messi and CR in one package with vision of Pirlo. Had a 5-6 year go with even less peak. This guy could have and should have participated in 4 WCs and won 2, won 4-5 CLs and if such thing is possible in Brazil, almost overshadowed Pele.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Still early, but i fully expect Dembele and Coutinho to end up on this list eventually. For different reasons ofcourse. The monstrous transfer fees are the one common factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont see Quaresma as wasted talent, he was just a flashy creative winger, he didn't showcase this must have high level impact that he was wasting by being a dumbass wasted clown, tho latter describes him a bit, the big talent part doesn't.

He performed close enough to his level, which was an average player with his abundance of limitations and all in show. A flair and fancy dribbler doesn't mean a good player, let alone a top one, he didn't belong in higher level.

Wasted I call Pato, man was near world class from teens to early 20s, looked destined for greatness, then continaution from previous injuries, and from then on nada. A total bum playing in amateur leagues.

More high level for couple years but more tragic fall was Adriano. Fiercest young striker in some time early on, then his father passing, depression (substance abuse) and injuries, the trifecta of pitfalls ending what was one of the best potential careers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)