Big guns Get Set for Evra (1 Viewer)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
Sky Sport
Friday, 28 May 2004

by Patrick Haond

Manchester United and Juventus are understood to be ready to slug it out to acquire the services of Monaco full back Patrice Evra.

The France international has enjoyed a stunning campaign and played a major role in the club reaching the UEFA Champions League final.

Evra was also named Ligue 1's Young Player of the Year and his form has attracted admiring glances from the continent's biggest clubs.

Italian titans Juventus have been long-term suitors of the 23-year-old and are rumoured to have offered €8 million to Monaco several weeks ago.

The Red Devils are also reportedly keen on the left back and have been watching his progress this term with interest.

Evra is contracted to Monaco for a further three years but, after scaling such heights with the Principality side this term, may decide a move abroad will be beneficial to his career.

Meanwhile, Paris Saint Germain continue to be on the trail of Evra's team-mate Jerome Rothen, who is another to have revelled on the European stage this season.

Rothen has regularly stated it would fulfil a dream to play for PSG and Vahid Halilhodzic is expected to try to tempt the midfielder to Parc des Princes.

Monaco would be reluctant sellers but an offer in the region of €8 million may prove difficult to refuse, if PSG can raise sufficient funds.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jul 28, 2002
utd dont need a left back...they have heinze, silvestre and o'shea, all top class left back...we get evra i will be very happy, as rambo will replace the need for a topclass rm, as he is jus as good.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
I don't get why there is such desire to move Zambrotta to the LM.
I think he is great as LD, why waste money on a position when we
probably have the best!

EDIT: lol, I did it again!!!! I meant LEFT not right!!!

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Juventino ] ++
I don't get why there is such desire to move Zambrotta to the RM.
I think he is great as RD, why waste money on a position when we
probably have the best!
He's a better midfielder than he is a defender.

Kill two birds with one stone, and upgrade two positions with one purchase.

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andre 3000 ] ++

He's a better midfielder than he is a defender.

Kill two birds with one stone, and upgrade two positions with one purchase.
it's a matter of taste judging from members here...
Every other place I visit most ppl. agree that he is among if not
worlds best Left Defender-s...

And I agree...

Jul 28, 2002
evra is a TOP class player,but unfortunately can only play left back, and he is no where near as strong defensively as Ferreira, but he kinda reminds me of a left sided cafu....so get his ass,and if were feeling flush (not gonna happen) sign ferrieira of porto and swithc rambo to rm....ooohhh my dreaming is getting silly now.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Zambro is a top-class left back, but him being a member of the back four is somewhat restricting as it doesn't allow him to go forward without having to get back. His love for attacking sometimes leads to us being caught out at the back, that wouldn't happen with him in midfield.

At the beginning of the now completed season Capello used a 3-4-1-2 tactic with attacking wing backs (Mancini and Lima) and I think he could use that system to good effect here as well. Zambro and Evra could be the widemen, with Thuram, Ferrari and Mexes forming the back three.

Buffon
Thuram - Mexes - Ferrari
Zambrotta - Emerson - Maresca - Evra
Nedved
Gilardino - Del Piero

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
No, but if we're playing with a wing back, meaning only one player per wing, I'd rather have someone more wing-ish., like Zambi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)