Best Serie A Penalty Taker (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I'm sorry for the Baggio people but the decisive penalty is the ultimate test. No point in arguing you got a 100% record in your career when you miss the kick to win the World Cup. Baggio may be rather solid in other aspects, but when it comes to penalties, he only got one chance. And he blew it.

Of course the penalty thing is rather unpredictable, just look at De Boer, being the best penalty taker in the country or something and then he misses two when stakes are high. Similarly to Baggio, he'll always be remembered for those two he missed, not the hundreds he converted.

OP
Codino

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
  • Thread Starter #23
    yes sadly.

but if he got it, brazil needed to convert one more. And they did not miss a penalty all tournament.

Sagha

Aug 27, 2002
    So true...

And the real "spirits skills", Baggio show them 4 years later scoring pk against chile and France...

U know like one of my friend one day said me something so true:

"U know this final in 94, yes, this game was already loose when Baggio was about to shoot, so it was not correct, no, it would have been not correct to dont let touch the last ball of this WC to the greatest player that this earth has ever met, this was a sign, even Taffarel did not have the merit of touching it...Today we can say it proudly, Robi was the last one who touch the ball in this WC...and for ever he will be the best not only cauz of his skills, cauz a lot of players was, and r, good, but cauz of his personality, his humility and the fact that never in his life he had the "big head" cauz of his status...Robi is like u and me, he is a gentlmen, someone who know how to win the respect of others and someone who have the same dream that we all share in our lifes."

I cant agree more...

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by RobyBaggio10 ] ++
    i havent seen a Delpiero miss penalty,besides the one against inter. anyone got any stats on him?
    I know that Del Piero has trouble against PAgliluca he misses like 60% on him.

Another GKp which troubles him is TOldo who Del Piero
    educated on guessing which way the shooter will go
    during Euro2000.

So know he knows all DP secrets......

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by ErikP ] ++

You just called virtually every Dutch player weak! :D
    Simon Kuper

has acutally written a very intressting piece on this Erik

I urge you to read it.

He debates it is the dutch mentality that makes them miss the penalties

Both in WC98 and E2000

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    The Best Penalty Takers are Brazilian
    I would probably say the best of them is Rivaldo

I have never seen Rivaldo miss a penalty..........

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Sagha ] ++

"U know this final in 94, yes, this game was already loose when Baggio was about to shoot, so it was not correct, no, it would have been not correct to dont let touch the last ball of this WC to the greatest player that this earth has ever met, this was a sign, even Taffarel did not have the merit of touching it...Today we can say it proudly, Robi was the last one who touch the ball in this WC...and for ever he will be the best not only cauz of his skills, cauz a lot of players was, and r, good, but cauz of his personality, his humility and the fact that never in his life he had the "big head" cauz of his status...Robi is like u and me, he is a gentlmen, someone who know how to win the respect of others and someone who have the same dream that we all share in our lifes."
    :yuck:
    O get real!

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Evelyn8 ] ++
    The Best Penalty Takers are Brazilian
    I would probably say the best of them is Rivaldo

I have never seen Rivaldo miss a penalty..........
    He misses against Chelsea in Cl 1/4 final match and missed in la liga as well

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I'm sorry for the Baggio people but the decisive penalty is the ultimate test. No point in arguing you got a 100% record in your career when you miss the kick to win the World Cup. Baggio may be rather solid in other aspects, but when it comes to penalties, he only got one chance. And he blew it.

Of course the penalty thing is rather unpredictable, just look at De Boer, being the best penalty taker in the country or something and then he misses two when stakes are high. Similarly to Baggio, he'll always be remembered for those two he missed, not the hundreds he converted.
    This is so sad but true and all the penalties Baggio has taken in his life, are all completely forgotten except this one

I was watching a documentary on gr8 players and they showed Baggio and at the end the commentator said that sadly one of the gr8est players of his generatin will be remembered for ballooning the ball in wc final

As for scoring in France98, i am sorry but that is a very didtant consolation prize, it just means he had the chance to take another penalty, just like Di biagio did against Holland in 2000 and Stuart Pearce against Spain in euro96 after missing one against Germany in 1990

These players though will b forgiven by fans and others for having the courage to take another penalty for their countries, will always be more famous or infamous for the ones they missed.

Now its quite impossible to call Baggio the best penalty taker ever irrespective of stats because the average fan will always visualise his balloning of the ball all those years ago

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
    So fact remains Rivaldo must have a higher average the Baggio
    if you count carrear and not a certain league

But back to Brazilians Remember Romario
    that guy was stone cold when taking penalties

it was his goal and baggio's baloon (writting his name with small casings on purpose :devil: )

that made Romario be the final star of the tournament and not Baggio,

OP
    Codino

Codino

The Rival
    Jul 21, 2002
  • Thread Starter #33
    BAGGIO (writing his name in Caps for a purpose ;) )
    is the best penalty taker.... the stats are there... thats all i can say.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Hmm...This is a tough one. I would say that the best penalty taker in Serie A is Montella. The best free kick taker is Del Piero.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Besides is your thread saying about technique or how many goals you have scored from how many taken

To have 70 penalties given to the sides you have played for is quite a very high number and it won't be fair on other playes whose clubs are not awarded that amount of pens

Sagha

Aug 27, 2002
    Wouarf wouarf, another time Baggio is attaked from behind, I cant le do this...

Del Piero the best fk taker???? Are u kidding right? When did Del Piero took fk in the same position then Robi like for example the one in inter parma or inter cagliari...I mean even the french can recognize that Baggio was the first to do so...DP is a fine fk tacker but generaly its only from one position (like yesterday or the game in CL or the game against Magyar) I mean when did u saw Del Piero take a fk like baggio did against napoli in 2000? an incredible tactical fk with rebound just before the keeper... No no we cant continue like this...Does I need to put all the DP fk and all the Baggio fk online to make u understand??? Even Maradona did not take fk like Baggio and here is another reason why this one was overaly weaker then robi.

Now for the pk even if I dont realy care, cauz it dont realy show ur teknik (less then the fk)...I mean having the oppurtunity of taking 80 pk and loosing 8 is much much harder then taking 40 pk missing 4 of them...and for this Denco if u dont understand I can put online a statistical test to prove it, the probability to suceed in the baggio case is little...

Now Im realy tired I can only say that im happy that the serie a will finaly start to see baggio capocannoniere (and if God allow it he will stay healthy this season, so he will finaly win the classifica of capocannonieri

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    Please excuse me basta as you Italians say, Baggio is not as good as Maradona in free kicks techically, you keep going on about the free kicks he took against Napoli, what of the one that Maradona took against Juventus, its was in juve's eighteenth yard box and he just flicked it in

Dp is a damned good fk taker and your saying he only scores from one side is not true, he took from the other side against Celtic

Because someone says Dp is abetter free kick taker than Baggio, its not an insult, Dp is one of the best in the world and its getting hard to take you seriously anymore as you do not see past Baggio and its becoming tiresome

Sagha

Aug 27, 2002
    First of all we are in a democracy and I can think the Robi better then Maradona...

Then the one of Del Piero against Celtic is not realy on the other side, just look at the one of Baggio against parma with inter to understand what "from other side mean"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)