Best def/mid/forw in Juve 01/02 (1 Viewer)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Trez might have scored more goals but Buffon had a better season as he was fantastic in most games whereas apart from his goals and when Dp was not playing Trez was ordinary and i did see 32 out of 34 serieA games and all Cl games

Jul 12, 2002
But Trez was the top scorer in Serie A, but he wasn't the most expensive striker in the world. See my point?

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Sure, but Vieri got more goals per game than Trez did - would surely have been top scorer without the earlier injuries.

I'm not knocking Trez or anything, he had a fantastic season, long may it continue, but I feel Buffon was the outstanding player..just..from last year due to the vital saves he was making each week.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
there's something i don't like about buffoni don't like and that's how he gets caught flat-footed sometimes,eg.the goal korea scored in the wc.i don't see the world's top keepers ending up like that,looking stupid and staring into space with that "what-just-happened" look.the floor is where they should end no matter whether they save it or not.it ro else it just makes them seem like they didn't have any time to react or something.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
To answer Ian first, Buffon did not rate himself as worth £33m and if a club is stupid enough to pay that kind of money on a goal keeper, well its hardly the keeper's fault an das for Paranoia, once a ball has beaten you as bot goals against Suth Korea showed, there is no point in diving

Goal keepers are different, Kahn is a goal keeper who likes to play to the cameras while some like Buffon and Scmeichel make saves and if they cannot and are fooled then so be it

Against Porto in Oporto we would have been beaten 4-0 if not for Buffon and in the Riazor against Depor, it would have been a basketful, same for against Bayer

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
To answer Ian first, Buffon did not rate himself as worth £33m and if a club is stupid enough to pay that kind of money on a goal keeper, well its hardly the keeper's fault
I'd like to see an interview where Buffon says anything like that, because I've read plenty where he says he is the best, and refers to his transfer fee as proof.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Goal keepers are different, Kahn is a goal keeper who likes to play to the cameras while some like Buffon and Scmeichel make saves and if they cannot and are fooled then so be it
i dont care what Buffon is rated as, we see him play and he is great. (maybe not better than Kahn or Schmiechel a few years ago).
But we have to admit (as Paranoia said) He is caught flat-footed more than other keepers in his catagory. other than the Korea Example, there is the Batistuta freekick that he just watched go in (vs. Roma last year).

BTW...Pete Schmichel is not a show off. look at the previews of the goals scored against him, and you'll find that he at least toched the ball before it went in. (he is never flat-footed).

BTW2. IMO Buffon/Tudor/Nedved/Trez were the best players in their positions

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Who said Scmeichel was a show off but he has been caught flat footed many times e.g Rivaldo's free kick in Cl in the Nou camp 98/99 season

But i do feel keepers like Toldo and Kahn like to play to the cameras with spectacular saves when an easy catch will do

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
What is the big deal about getting caught flat footed? Surely there is no difference between that, and diving but still failing to retrieve the ball.

If you ever try going in goal, you will know there are times when the ball comes with such power, or at a certain angle, with curl, that it is past you before you even have time to dive, so what is the point diving anyway just so you can't be accused of being caught flat footed?

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
hell....why dont all keepers just sit still and watch the ball go by since it SEEMS too tough!

what i'm saying is that Buffon sometimes doesnt even try. in the Batistuta case, he could have been smarter and quicker. Reflexes and vision is a standard to evaluate keepers.
Maybe Buffon needs more vision so he can predict ball direction better, then maybe with good reflexes he MIGHT get it..
that sure as hell beats watching the ball go in.

i know there are situations where the ball is 1 foot away from the line, and all u can do is watch, we're not talking about those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)