Beckham debate (5 Viewers)

Alex

May 1, 2004
Some people love him either for his looks or for his ability on the field
others don't, again either for his looks or for his ability.

i myself think he's:
undisputed king of free kicks (pk not included)
a very good crosser of the ball
shit in possession
has no short range passing ability
very limited dribbling ability
poor aerial skill

please feel free to argue or support what ive said and also bring up other stuff in debating the value of David Beckham.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Agree with all of u guys.

His crosses + free kicks r good. Dribbling? Limited. Attitude? Makes me vomit.

I prefer Nedved to Beckham.

And I wonder y Beckham can become the captain of England.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
undisputed king of free kicks (pk not included)
I wouldn't say undisputed. Van Hoojidonk and Mihajlovic for example probably have better percentages from freekicks

- can't dribble
- can't head
- can't kick with his left foot
- probably wouldn't be as famous or highly rated if not for his looks and his life outside of football

That said, I think a lot of people are a bit hard on Beckham. It's not his fault that he's good-looking, and I know a lot people say that he's just a model, not a footballer.. but again, that's not really his fault.

Sure, he probably does a lot more publicity than other players, but that's because people offer him ridiculous sums of money just to do interviews. He's not an incredibly bright fellow either, but again you can't really fault him for that.

He's a fantastic crosser of the ball and quite deadly from free kicks, but because of the other shortcomings in his game, I'd say he's an average footballer at best.

Sep 14, 2003
I had the 'pleasure' of seeing him play once in the flesh and I was struck by how poor his first touch and close control of the ball was. He is without doubt though, one of the very best freekick takers and crosser in the World.

OP
Alex

Alex

May 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9
    watching Madrid lately puzzles me why they continue to play him in deep lying mid position.
    Also every time they begin there passing game it seems as if Becks is always the one to lose it.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    He's undoubtedly one of the best set piece takers in the world and has a brilliant cross. His long balls and shots from range are decent but on the whole he isn't that great. He has of course done some brilliant things throughout his career, but IMHO he's highly overrated. I think he's a good player but he certainly does have his weaknesses and alot of people make him out to be way better than he is.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    watching Madrid lately puzzles me why they continue to play him in deep lying mid position.
    Also every time they begin there passing game it seems as if Becks is always the one to lose it.
    Beckham wants to play in the centre but imo he's not half as good there as he is on the right hand side of midfield.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Beckham should indeed play on the right hand side. But Beckham being a poor football player? Come on, guys, you know that's not true.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
    He is a great right mid, and he provides the strikers will good aerial balls always.....Manchester Utd are starting to miss him......RVN misses him....he's so far scored a goal in 8 games.....:D

OP
    Alex

Alex

May 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #14
    someone pretend to like beckham im desperate for an argument

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
    Beckham should indeed play on the right hand side. But Beckham being a poor football player? Come on, guys, you know that's not true.
    True... but lets not forget there ARE better then beck in the position he used to play in manutd....

but at last, he's great player although am not a big fan of him ... and as gray said , it's not his fault if he's good-lookin ...

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
    Beckham was a great player when he was in man.utd. I have always admired him.but after he became famous i guess he is not performing like he did in past.but still a great player.no reason to hate him btw..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    He's definately overrated by many, but I think he's also underrated by many too.

I think he's in the top 100 players in the world.

His Freekicks are sublime
    His crosses, corners and long floating balls are great.
    He's no C. Ronaldo or Denilson, but Becks can dribble (nice example, his goal vs. Real Madrid in the CL)
    Many see him as Posh-spice, but admire his work rate. He runs a lot and fights for the ball when the going gets tough.
    Some people say that he can't shoot worth crap with his left, but he can. It's just that why would anyone use his average left foot when he has a golden right foot.

In short, he's not as good as the media (specially in the USA) hype him up to be, but he's a very good footballer and would be an asset to any team.

No offense, but I think you guys are too hard on him! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)